What is it with American HYPE? | Golden Skate

What is it with American HYPE?

I know most of it is with a new movie soon to be released (Cruise, Hanks, Travolta) but the hype organized by the agent to rub it in just grates on me.

The worst "STAR", and I use that term lightly, is Sarah Jessica Parker. She has to be the most overhyped celebrity in America today. There were three other gals in that HBO show, and one never heard about any of them until the show's last season. Sarah seems to be everwhere and not connected to publicizing any new movie or tv show. She's home with Matt and the baby, she is at every function in the NY area. She's at every award show nominated or not.
Everything she does, is done by other celebrities, too, but other celebrities do not get the fanfare. She makes headlines.

Other "STARS" I see as overhyped: Hudson, Paltrow.

Who are you tired of seeing everywhere?

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
Paris Hilton. There are a lot of people born into wealth and many of them do not achieve the same level of glamor as Paris for having done not much. I think she and her sister have a successful business together, but she's famous for being a rich party girl - not a savvy business person.

At least SJP has a talent that she's leveraging. She was the star of Sex In the City. I think her co-stars just didn't hire the right management. Kristin Davis (Charlotte) was remembered for her roles on Melrose Place and SIC. Kim Cattrell was the star in Mannequin, a vulcan in one of the Star Trek movies and SIC. SIC was Cynthia Nixon's biggest role. I think SJP is marketed more in NYC than other areas - due to SIC she became the quintessional New Yorker in the media's eyes. She's really not a bad role model - she was the only one of the 4 who did not do nude scenes and she has a seemingly happy marriage and young child.

Skatehappy

Rinkside
Hype equals money. Money for the "stars", producers, television shows, movies, etc. People are anesthetizing themselves with "entertainment", that is, when they have the time to relax from their second or third job. If we are drugged on hype, we can't pay attention to whatt is really going on in the world. Whenever I see a fluff piece on the front page of my local newspaper, I wonder what it is that they really don't want us to know about, to the extent that they felt the need to fill the space with fluffy hype.

The latest hyped "celebrity" is Peter Jennings. May he rest in peace, but do we really need hours and hours of how he was God's gift to newsgathering? IMHO. :sheesh:

Skatehappy said:
The latest hyped "celebrity" is Peter Jennings. May he rest in peace, but do we really need hours and hours of how he was God's gift to newsgathering? IMHO. :sheesh:
That was not what I meant by hype, and I think it is in bad taste to label a dead person as having hype because he/she is dead. :sheesh:

The reason I brought the subject up was to see comments on the hype show biz people get. I have long been reading about figure skaters having hype with disdain by fans of other skaters, but not with other sports or show biz personalities.

Should hype be so annoying? I would say YES in the case of Parker, whom I don't see as a great talent. Yet, what appears to be hype for Kimmie, doesn't bother me, and I am not an overly zealous fan of Kimmie.

I do remember the interrupted ABC newscast that a Tara Lipinski was credited with 2 triple jumps while in juniors and at such an early age. BTW, she came in second. hmmm

Joe

The coffee shop down at the corner of my street has a sign: "The best cup of coffee in town."

I tried one. It was only ordinary.

brad640

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
The worst "STAR", and I use that term lightly, is Sarah Jessica Parker. She has to be the most overhyped celebrity in America today.

I agree that all the actresses of Sex and the City were fantastic, but I don't think SJP is overhyped. Sex and the City was one of the all time great comedy series, and will only become more appreciated over time. She has been a star almost her entire life, having played Annie on broadway, and she has many loyal fans from her teen days on Square Pegs and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Also, part of her continuing celebrity status is due to her trend-setting fashion, like when she cemented her fashion icon status at the NYC ballet benefit where she changed several times into different Oscar de la Renta gowns.

Generally, I enjoy the hype du jour, and I am especially excited about the hype for new stars like Terrence Howard of Hustle and Flow and Amy Adams of Junebug.

Skatehappy

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
That was not what I meant by hype, and I think it is in bad taste to label a dead person as having hype because he/she is dead. :sheesh:

I meant no offense, and I aplogize to Mr. Jennings' survivors.

Back to hype, it is a big distraction to real life, and we can easily become hooked due to hype. I am a fan of Stargate SG-1 (I don't know if that cable show is hyped or not). But do I really want to spend all Monday evening watching back-to-back episodes, as it is shown here?

Hype sells. It used to be called publicity, and as someone once said, there's no such thing as bad publicity. I think that hypsters still believe that, and that in the age of instant information, hype has grown into a monster.

A current gripe hype is the book, "The DaVinci Code". The book has been hyped for years, and hype for the movie is already growing, even though it won't be released until next Summer.

Skatehappy said:
Hype sells. It used to be called publicity, and as someone once said, there's no such thing as bad publicity. I think that hypsters still believe that, and that in the age of instant information, hype has grown into a monster.
Yet many skating fans seem to be upset about hype. How many complaints can Kimmie get?

A current gripe hype is the book, "The DaVinci Code". The book has been hyped for years, and hype for the movie is already growing, even though it won't be released until next Summer.
Like Gone With The Wind hype.

The movie has been cleansed of any reference to Opus Dei which is central to the yarn so as not to offend anyone. So it will be an ordinary chase movie.

Joe

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
Hype seemed to have helped to abridge Nicole Bobek's career. Hype sure helped Oksana Baiul's descent into primadonnaism.

And the post-Olympic hype about Sarah Hughes seemed to have intimidated her to such a degree that she never was able to skate again as she did at SLC.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
The question is DO YOU APPROVE THE USE OF HYPE IN FIGURE SKATING?
My answer is "it depends".
  • If we're talking about the kind of hype that was around Baiul, then the answer is absolutely not.
  • if we're talking about the hype about Kimmy - it's borderline. I hated that they did it at the expense of Jenny Kirk, constantly drumming how she shouldn't even be at Worlds. However, if done just a bit more delicately, then the answer is "I guess yes".
  • Russian coach Kudryavtsev credits success of some American skaters to the hype created around them. One of the examples he sites is that of Evan getting a car from Chevrolet as an inspiring Olympian. Actions like that create a "healthy" kind of hype IMO.

Good points, Ptichka. I think most of hype in skating comes from the fans in various forums - not by major newspapers.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the people I'm getting tired of hearing about is Tom Cruise.

Dee

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Dee,

Gotta agree with you about Tom Cruise! He was cute in "Risky Business". Only problem is that he hasn't matured an iota since. What a putz!

Dizzy

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston, the whole cast of Oceans 12. Hilary Duff....liked her in LIzzie McGuire, but after that, her singing abilities grate on me. She o-fends my ears.

anya_angie

Final Flight
As much as I love Orlando Bloom's voice, and his character Will Turner, he's nothing special. YET.

DiCaprio has his moments; his best is Gangs of New York and What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

One guy I can't get into is Stuart Townsend. He ruined Lestat. :(

As much as I love Aaliyah's beautiful singing (I love her ballads mostly), she had an overhyped but far too short acting career. Given more time she could have been great.

Agreed with Cruise and Duff. UGH. The only thing I liked Cruise in is Int. w/ Vampire.

Speaking of, I'm sick of Kirsten Dunst as of late. Again, brilliant in Interview, but quite shabby everywhere else.

Colin Ferrell, Ben Affleck, both great in Daredevil, but not as great everywhere else. Not one for Matt Damon either.

Christina Aguilara, Britney Spears.

Brad Pitt was perfect in Interview With The Vampire, but I wish it were a bit more true to the book.

Anje - You brought back memories of 'Interview". I agree it didnot follow the book all that well. But the hype the movie got killed it too. People went in spite of wanting to hate it and especially to see Cruise suck the blood out of Pitt. :laugh:

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I know most of it is with a new movie soon to be released (Cruise, Hanks, Travolta) but the hype organized by the agent to rub it in just grates on me.

The worst "STAR", and I use that term lightly, is Sarah Jessica Parker. She has to be the most overhyped celebrity in America today. There were three other gals in that HBO show, and one never heard about any of them until the show's last season. Sarah seems to be everwhere and not connected to publicizing any new movie or tv show. She's home with Matt and the baby, she is at every function in the NY area. She's at every award show nominated or not.
Everything she does, is done by other celebrities, too, but other celebrities do not get the fanfare. She makes headlines.

Other "STARS" I see as overhyped: Hudson, Paltrow.

Who are you tired of seeing everywhere?

Joe

Ben Afflick and JLo were hyped to adnausea - the now defunct couple made a couple of movies here in British Columbia; All we heard was Bennifer and where they were seen.

Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore. All we heard from the hockey world - aside from the strike all last season. Give it a rest.

anya_angie

Final Flight
I think Anne's ad saying she approved of the movie after previously saying she didn't agree with the casting choice for Lestat helped it too. My favorite character in that movie after Louis is Armand, then Santiago.