Broken a/c and a sad cat | Golden Skate

Broken a/c and a sad cat

mpal2

Final Flight
My air conditioning broke this weekend. Apparently some power surge blew the fuses and partially melted the fuse box. Fortunately the a/c unit itself is ok but it took a long time to fix and the house has been at 90 degrees for 2 days. We've had every fan running and it didn't help much.

My poor cat was looking for every cool surface in the house. I've been giving the pets ice water to keep it cooler for them and they've been drinking it up faster than ever but it didn't help much. The poor cat was barely moving around. He rarely meows at me and prefers to use nonverbal signals, but he kept crying to me every time I walked by. I didn't know what to do to help him other than leave him in front of a fan.

We finally got if fixed today and the house is down to 85 degrees. :rock: (I never thought that would feel good ;) ). Now that the a/c is finally fixed my poor kitty is sitting on the vent and purring. I have never seen a cat run so fast toward something cold.

All is well now and the sad cat is now :love:

Edited because part of my original message got cut out by human error.

Last edited:
I can't imagine what it would be like to either have no A/C or have the A/C go out in the kind of heat a lot of the US has been having. Here in NJ, it's been awful...heatwave after heatwave, the relief is a day or two in the upper 80's.
We just had central A/C installed over the winter and it's been running almost non-stop. I'm dying for a cool down to open the windows and be able to enjoy the outdoors for a switch. We have a great back porch that is all windows, but it's not heated or air conditioned, so we have barely used it this summer because of heat.
Our cats always liked to go onto the bathroom tile floor or into the cool ceramic tub to keep cool before we had air conditioning(I'm talking several years ago). As it is now, my new kitten is loving the bathtub for some reason even tho the house is plenty cool from the A/C.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh poor kitty!!!!

my best friend's first apartment in Portland, OR had no heat or air conditioning... and I was there in both August and January so the hottest and coldest part of the year... so I can understand your kitty's discomfort!

bronxgirl

Medalist
at times like that, I am fortunate enough to say that Harry (my cat) and me would find a pet friendlyhotel FAST!!!!

Kara Bear

Final Flight
i bought this metal tub to put plants in. it was advertised as a party drink tub. . . put your ice and drinks in it. anyways, my cat jasper claimed it as his. i think he likes hanging in there because of the cool metal. he also love ice cubes in his water fountain to cool off.

mpal2

Final Flight
NJSk8Fan said:
As it is now, my new kitten is loving the bathtub for some reason even tho the house is plenty cool from the A/C.

That's what my cat loves to do except he has claimed the sink and won't let people have it. You can run water over him and he will stilll stay put. I can't tell you how many times I've brushed my teeth while leaning over the bathtub. :laugh:

My cat is still happy. My house is back to its normal temperature. :clap:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
mpal2 said:
That's what my cat loves to do except he has claimed the sink and won't let people have it. You can run water over him and he will stilll stay put. I can't tell you how many times I've brushed my teeth while leaning over the bathtub. :laugh:

LOL!!! Anybody who thinks cats are aloof and boring have never lived with them. :laugh:

DG

JOHIO2

Medalist
My older kitty, Callie, has been rejuvenated since the temperature dropped below 90 degrees. While it was so hot, she wanted in the bedroom (with a/c) to lounge on my bed. And when she wasn't there, she was sprawled on the hardwood floor. She was there so long, I got over singing, "ya got your dead cat in the middle of the floor."

Now that all doors and windows are open again, she has actually been seen sliding into the living room and bouncing off the walls.

mpal2

Final Flight
I'm seriously traumitizing my poor cat this week. The exterminator found fleas in the house when he came by so today we had to remove all living creatures from the house for 4 hours.

My poor baby had to stay in a cage for 4 hours in a friend's garage because it was the only place I had to take him on such short notice before having to run off to work. He got stuck in the garage because my friend is allergic to cats and couldn't let him inside the house. His cage was big enough for him to sleep in but he hates it. I picked him back up at lunch but he was seriously unhappy with me.

I had to do a quick vacuum of the house before I could let him inside and I let him out of his cage on the porch so he wander around a little. He tried to run inside and I had to shoo him back out. :frown: He got so mad that he hissed at me for several minutes before I could pet him and apologize.

Oh yeah I almost forgot... He got Frontlined too because of the fleas. He hates that stuff more than the cage.

After he finally let me touch him, I had to run back to work and abandon him in the house. :eek:hwell: My poor baby is going to get all kinds of kitty treats this weekend.