August issue of International Figure Skating magazine | Golden Skate

August issue of International Figure Skating magazine

CDMM1991

Medalist
Great issue! Their articles are always slightly outdated so they are still covering some stuff from Worlds this past year, but still a great pre-Olympic issue, with articles about Irina, Sasha, Stephane, Belbin and Agosto, Lysacek, Plushenko, and others. Other interesting articles included the cover story, Dorothy Hamill, and an article about the rising Japanese skating program, talking about Asada and Oda, the world junior champions. And my personal favorite, multi-question mail-in poll on this past season. If I have time, I might post each poll question in the magazine in The Voting Booth and see what my fellow Golden Skaters think.

chipso1

Rinkside
CDMM1991 said:
Great issue! Their articles are always slightly outdated so they are still covering some stuff from Worlds this past year, but still a great pre-Olympic issue, with articles about Irina, Sasha, Stephane, Belbin and Agosto, Lysacek, Plushenko, and others. Other interesting articles included the cover story, Dorothy Hamill, and an article about the rising Japanese skating program, talking about Asada and Oda, the world junior champions. And my personal favorite, multi-question mail-in poll on this past season. If I have time, I might post each poll question in the magazine in The Voting Booth and see what my fellow Golden Skaters think.

Huh? The issue I got today had TT/MM on the cover . . . :scratch:

lulu

Final Flight
The issue with Dorothy Hamill on the cover is the July/Aug issue of IFS; which came out in late June ;)
I haven't seen the latest issue of IFS; and I'm hoping it will be in the bookstores before I have to go back to school. I think the issue you got is the Sept/Oct issue.

I read on FSU that there is an interview w/ Sasha Abt in the Sept/October issue; and I'm very excited about that. :rock:
(At least I think the interview is going to be in the September issue of IFS)

I'm also crossing my fingers; that there might be some interviews or at least brief updates, I'm not picky here ;) ; with either Artur Dmitriev, or Elena & Anton, Ilia Klimkin or Katia Gordeeva.
It just seems as if I haven't read many interviews or updates with those skaters for a long time.

Speaking of the July/Aug issue-I especially liked reading about Lysacek, Plushenko and Lambiel. There was a cute Lambiel interview I read over the summer-but I can't remember if it was in IFS or Spotlight on Skating.

S

SkateFan4Life

I cancelled my subscription for IFS some time ago. I just didn't enjoy reading this magazine. IMHO, it's too much of a tabloid piece, and the writing is really sub-par.

I'll stick with "Blades on Ice", "Skating", and other magazines and books that come my way. And of course, the Internet is probably the best source of instant information these days.

Skatefan, I like International Figure Skating quite a bit better now under its new management team. Maybe you will want to give it another chance.

MM :)

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I'll see if I can clear up a little of the confusion - or maybe make it worse, LOL!

The new issue of IFS was just sent out this week - Tatiana and Max are on the cover - I believe this issue is actually called the October issue.

For LuLu regarding Sasha Abt: an interview and photos with him will be in the next issue of IFS which will probably come out in another month or so. However, there will also be a brief article on Sasha in the upcoming issue of Spotlight on Skating. Glad you liked the Lambiel interview - that was in Spotlight and in the next IFS there will be a new one with Stephane.

IFS is really trying - they have an editor under the new management who is absolutely wonderful and open to new ideas - hopefully some of which many of you will enjoy in the coming months.

(They're still working on the Mathman cover, LOL - trying to book Michelle for it! Hey - that WOULD be an interesting concept - a contest where a fan gets to pose for the cover shot with his or her favorite skater...hmmmm......interesting possibilities....)

Last edited:
Zanzibar said:
However, there will also be a brief article on Sasha in the upcoming issue of Spotlight on Skating.
The best one was the feature about Alexander on the Prince Hotel tour in Japan. Also, the one about his trip to North Korea a while back.

MM

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Glad you liked them MM!

Sasha (Alexander) is an intrepid traveler and one of few people, in these times, to get a glimpse into life in North Korea.

lulu

Final Flight
Thanks for all of the information!

I think that IFS has actually improved since changing new managers. I especially like some of their new sections-like the website reviews, etc.
I'm very lucky that my local library carries a subscription.

I was wondering how IFS, Spotlight On Skating or any skating magazine choses who to interview?
I enjoy reading skating magazines; and esp. reading the interviews.
Of course, like all fans-I especially like it when they have interviews/articles (even small ones-LOL) on my favorite skaters. :)
Of course, I realize that there are so many skaters out there; and some of them might be busy.

Thanks for the Sasha news. I like reading interviews with him; he comes across as being very personable. :)
And from the Prince Ice World article it sounds as if he had a great time in Japan!

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
Skatefan, I like International Figure Skating quite a bit better now under its new management team. Maybe you will want to give it another chance.

MM :)

Well, that's good to hear, Mathman. However, I just don't have the time to try to read any more magazines. Maybe when I'm retired......which is a long way off!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
lulu said:
I was wondering how IFS, Spotlight On Skating or any skating magazine choses who to interview?
I enjoy reading skating magazines; and esp. reading the interviews.
Of course, like all fans-I especially like it when they have interviews/articles (even small ones-LOL) on my favorite skaters. :)
Of course, I realize that there are so many skaters out there; and some of them might be busy.

Good question, lulu. It's probably a bit different for each magazine, but I think all magazines respond when they get the idea - either through mail or email - that a certain skater warrants more coverage. Sometimes the magazine will contact the writers with specific skaters they want covered, sometimes writers 'pitch' story ideas to the editorial staff. Publishers in many cases have the final say in terms of who goes on the cover.
Of course, if you're a leading American lady skater it's pretty easy to get coverage. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: