TT choreographed both MK's LP and a new SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

TT choreographed both MK's LP and a new SP

euterpe

Medalist
Shizuka made a mistake in her FS at 2005 Worlds as well. She did 3Z2L, 3S2T, 3F, 2L, 2T (an underrotated 3T, downgraded and -2 GOE???), 2Z2T2L. She then did a 3T that didn't count, instead of the required 2A.

There's no way of understating the importance of muscle memory. Last season, Shizuka didn't have that much chance to run through her FS because of her horrible boot problems. She missed one GP event and withdrew from Japanese Nationals after the SP.

I am sure Michelle Kwan is well aware of how important muscle memory is, especially with a new judging system where the type, placement and duration of elements is critical to accumulating points. At Worlds 2005, she completely blew the FS in the QR, and that is where she lost out on the podium. She finished top 3 in both SP and FS, but was too far behind in points to catch up to Kostner.

There's no QR in the Olympics, but she has to have that FS nailed and clear in her mind and body. That's why I am absolutely certain that she will not pass on the GP this season---she needs to run through both programs in competition before the judges many times to feel completely comfortable come February.

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
Question: Do we know that Shizuka is practicing both 3-3-2s IN THE PROGRAM? I was thinking that she could stlil be just working on them both having not decided which to put in the program yet.

mzheng

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
Question: Do we know that Shizuka is practicing both 3-3-2s IN THE PROGRAM? I was thinking that she could stlil be just working on them both having not decided which to put in the program yet.

If you read the articel in the link. The whole conversation was invoked by it said in an early practice session SA was seen open her LP with two 3/3/2. So guess she did put them in her program early on.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Well as a Kwan fan I am happy that the Tarosova Choreography is in fact true. I hope it works and she doesn't have to change thingts varound. These are two masters of the sport and hoppefully they make a super duo.

As for Shizuka, The news is enocouraging. I definit6ely did not write her off my list to be a threat in Torino.

millie

Medalist
kyla2 said:
TT is one of the most amazing people to have ever inhabited the world of figure skating. She is literally a legend in her own time-like Michelle. I hope and pray she will be able to give Michelle something super to skate to because this is her Olympic swan song. I know TT will do her best if for no other reason than to maintain her own deservedly sterling reputation as a choreographer. Here's hoping for a program for the ages.Joe Sitz I totally agree with what you said about TT in the beginning of this thread.

TT is a choreographer not God! If Michelle doesn't have the jumps and the spins under the COP, no matter what program TT has choreographed for her, it won't make a difference. By the way, didn't TT say all those nice things about Sasha in the beginning when she was working was working with her.

millie

Medalist
Mathman, my point is that TT is gushing over Michelle now, didn't she gush over Sasha the same way until things didn't go the way she wanted them to go. If things don't go the way TT wants them to go with regards to Michelle, I will bet you that she will be upset with Michelle and take back those gushing praises. She is now working with Michelle and she has no other choice but say "that she is a gift from God".

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
millie said:
Mathman, my point is that TT is gushing over Michelle now, didn't she gush over Sasha the same way until things didn't go the way she wanted them to go. If things don't go the way TT wants them to go with regards to Michelle, I will bet you that she will be upset with Michelle and take back those gushing praises. She is now working with Michelle and she has no other choice but say "that she is a gift from God".

I agree that TT does have do the PR thing very well, but she doesn't have to say Kwan is a gift from God. She does have a choice. She never praised Joubert or Weir or even Arakawa to the extent that she praised Kwan. You can believe that it's all just PR and that Kwan justs sucks, but you can't say TT doesn't have a choice, because she does. Unless the Kween really does control the universe.

Lucy25

Final Flight
millie said:
TT mentioned Michelle's accomplishments in her interview. This is where she gets her impressions of her. Not from what she might do this season. Besides, TT is not Michelle's coach. If Michelle doesn't win a major title this year, I don't see TT taking back her praise.

Lucy25

Final Flight
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Unless the Kween really does control the universe.
Doesn't she? I thought for sure I heard that the last time Michelle sneezed, it affected the rotation of the earth by half a second. ;)

mzheng

Record Breaker
I remember that in a TV interview, after SC/TT split, when asked about her opinion about Sasha. She said Sasha skates like a 'bird'. Now she say Michelle skates like a 'godess'. IMO, the words she chosen to describe their skating, couldn't be better. She knows what she is talking about.

fscric

On the Ice
mzheng said:
I remember that in a TV interview, after SC/TT split, when asked about her opinion about Sasha. She said Sasha skates like a 'bird'. Now she say Michelle skates like a 'godess'. IMO, the words she chosen to describe their skating, couldn't be better. She knows what she is talking about.

But I think those 2 comments are not comparable because the comment on Sasha was after their split which people might perceived as bitterness whereas the comment on Michelle was at the beginning of the collaboration. I think there's no point digging out TT's comment on Sasha unless someone has it handy, otherwise it's a waste of time searching and make the comparison.

People who don't like Michelle are free to think TT's comment PR spin, no discussion or anything will change their mind. TT may be exaggerating a bit to say Michelle skates like goddess, nevertheless, she sure has high regards about her skating. JMHO.

mzheng

Record Breaker
fscric said:
But I think those 2 comments are not comparable because the comment on Sasha was after their split which people might perceived as bitterness whereas the comment on Michelle was at the beginning of the collaboration. I think there's no point digging out TT's comment on Sasha unless someone has it handy, otherwise it's a waste of time searching and make the comparison.

People who don't like Michelle are free to think TT's comment PR spin, no discussion or anything will change their mind. TT may be exaggerating a bit to say Michelle skates like goddess, nevertheless, she sure has high regards about her skating. JMHO.

Well, at the time I heard TT's comment 'like a bird, bird song' (she was asked by Peter face TV camera), I certainly diddn't sense any 'bitter' from her. Regardless the rumors of what she said afterwards back in Russia, don't you feel might there also was some PR spinning or politics need there? Since she just splitted with Sasha, a US skater. But her coach base still at US, and she must show her profesional side saying the good things about a US skater that she just splited with?.....Anyway, from what I watched them both these last couple of years, I do feel what TT's description of them. One skates very light and exquisite like a bird or bird song. The other skates with deep edges show more authority posture and control like a godess.

Germanice

On the Ice
The ... *goddess* ... remark ...

Well, I love Tatiana; actually her remarks on Kwan are comprehensible. That’s the way the cookie crumbles: Your last CD/book/movie/skater/choreography is always the *best*, no matter what. Apart from that nobody would really slate someone from which he just got a (hopefully!!!) big fat salary! With a pay check like this in my pocket I’d probably claim the same, even more! :biggrin:

However, in the end there’s only one skater who really means something to her – she never becomes tired to repeat that on and on in every interview she gives/gave. And this one skater, let me assure you, is neither Cohen nor Kwan!

Anke

Kelly22

Rinkside
Germanice said:

However, in the end there’s only one skater who really means something to her – she never becomes tired to repeat that on and on in every interview she gives/gave. And this one skater, let me assure you, is neither Cohen nor Kwan!

Anke
So true. I think she loves Alexei as if he was her own blood, he has her heart. Their relationship is very special, very unique. As an outsider fan, we care for TT becaus of this relationship. I will miss her presence in our country and I predict Russia will be Alexei's home base because of these changes.

PS. I'm glad he is looking for his girl in his native country. I was concerned that the past relationship he had in the US would change him...his openess and honesty. If I recall correctly, TT or his mom was not thrilled about that relationship either.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Sure, there is a lot of PR involved, but it's really much more than that. TT is an artist, and artists need to feel inspired. It is much more fun for a true choreographer to work with someone they believe can attain the highest levels than with "just another client". While TT has been criticised for pushing her style on various skaters, I think she always at least tries to understand a skater's unique style and work with it (compare Yagudin and Weir for instance). In a recent interview Rodnina mentions that one great thing about working with TT was that she always makes her students feel they are special, that they are the best. Such attiture cannot be faked. I think TT basically psyches herself out about a student; then, this spills into both the press and how she treats him/her/them.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
In an interview for "Sport Express" that was translated by Shanti on FSU, Tarasova said,

"I was sure I would return [to Russia] as soon as Yagudin retires. I stayed there kind of by chance, but I don’t regret it at all. Otherwise I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to work with such outstanding athletes as Sasha Cohen, Arakawa, Johnny Weir,"

before she went on to speak about working with Michelle Kwan.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27593

That's hardly the mark of someone with a "what have you done for me lately" attitude, particularly in light of her split with Cohen.

fscric

On the Ice
mzheng said:
Well, at the time I heard TT's comment 'like a bird, bird song' (she was asked by Peter face TV camera), I certainly diddn't sense any 'bitter' from her. Regardless the rumors of what she said afterwards back in Russia, don't you feel might there also was some PR spinning or politics need there? Since she just splitted with Sasha, a US skater. But her coach base still at US, and she must show her profesional side saying the good things about a US skater that she just splited with?.....Anyway, from what I watched them both these last couple of years, I do feel what TT's description of them. One skates very light and exquisite like a bird or bird song. The other skates with deep edges show more authority posture and control like a godess.

My apologies if I had misunderstood the bird comment. Don't feel that I was nitpicking, it's just the feeling I got without the knowledge of the background as, living in faraway HK, I do not have access to almost everything. Hope there's no hard feeling. :)

euterpe

Medalist
TT made a point of commenting about Michelle being easy to work with, and how hard she works. I don't think any of Sasha's coaches or choreographers have described Sasha as easy to work with, and some have noted her less than avid training habits. TT also mentioned Michelle's family and how they all worked together. I think it was Sasha's family that was the heart of TT's break with Sasha.

While TT raved about Sasha at the beginning of their relationship, she never raved the same way about Shizuka, not even after she won Worlds.

One thing that you have to remember is that when TT was with Sasha (during the 2002-2003 season and the fall of 2003), Sasha was 18 years old and headstrong. She was also tiny, so I can understand why TT used the word 'bird' to describe a skater just coming into her own.

Kwan is 25 with a womanly build, and long established on the skating scene. Hers is the resume that young skaters long to emulate. 'goddess' is a perfect analogy.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
TT made a point of commenting about Michelle being easy to work with, and how hard she works. I don't think any of Sasha's coaches or choreographers have described Sasha as easy to work with, and some have noted her less than avid training habits. TT also mentioned Michelle's family and how they all worked together. I think it was Sasha's family that was the heart of TT's break with Sasha.

While TT raved about Sasha at the beginning of their relationship, she never raved the same way about Shizuka, not even after she won Worlds.

One thing that you have to remember is that when TT was with Sasha (during the 2002-2003 season and the fall of 2003), Sasha was 18 years old and headstrong. She was also tiny, so I can understand why TT used the word 'bird' to describe a skater just coming into her own.

Kwan is 25 with a womanly build, and long established on the skating scene. Hers is the resume that young skaters long to emulate. 'goddess' is a perfect analogy.

ITA with your note of the difference in ages - I think for most young women there is greater maturity at 25 than at 18.

Other than that, I think there is a HUGE difference between working with someone for a couple weeks in the role of choreographer, and working with someone for a season (or more) as a coach. IMO, very different views of the same athlete.

DG