Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: USFSA says MK is CONFIRMED for SA

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Well, after all she did hint at Campbell's (although I will acknowledge that the reporter pushed her a bit) that she would be there last year, but, alas, didn't show up. So my doubts should be justified (or not...?).
    True. You do have a point there, but if Kwan said out loud and without hesitation that she was going to SA, would you still rather wait and see because you doubted if she was being honest?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa
    True. You do have a point there, but if Kwan said out loud and without hesitation that she was going to SA, would you still rather wait and see because you doubted if she was being honest?
    Let me put it this way- If, without help or hint from a reporter or interviewer, Kwan says (not hints) in an interview (preferably on TV) that she WILL be at Skate America, then I will take her at her word and expect her there. But otherwise, the above applies.

ETA: Really though- once someone says they will be at an event and then they pull out at the last minute, it really is personal whether or not you will take their word the next time around. But since Kwan never really came out and said that she would be there, I guess I could make an exception if she comes outright and says it.

For example- she said with her own mouth that she will be at the Olympics. And, in that scenario, I expect her to show up there 100% (barring injury or events out of her control, of course). Why? Because she directly committed to the event.
    Last edited by R.D.; 08-18-2005 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I don't have any special reason. She reminds me of Carolina Kostner, in looks and carriage.

http://www.jenna-mccorkell.com/images/brit20031.jpg
    You have to be joking...i've never seen carolina in person but on TV she looks tiny petite, small boned and very girly, Jenna on the other hand is a much more muscular and womanly shape, i think she's quite tall for a skater too and generally looks like a more "athletic" skater.

Ant

All that aside, yes, IMO it's partly true. The federation WOULD lose credibility (if they haven't already that is) if one skater or a few (especially if it's Kwan or Cohen again) didn't show up (again) this time. But frankly, personally unless I hear it out of Kwan's own mouth (and a quote from an interview won't cut it) that "I WILL be there", I'll believe it when I see it. Even then...
    Why wouldn't a direct quote from an article confirm it for you?

Ant

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Why are we even concerned because someone else doesn't want to believe she'll be at SA?
    Who gives a rusty hoot, as Dick would say! I plan to be very, very happy!!!

The title of this thread is IMO, very misleading. Note that they don't JUST "confirm" MK, they confirm Cohen and all the other participants. Someone just saw that MK was on the list and made the thread all about Kwan being confirmed. But in reality, it's just a list of all the confirmed participants (and yes, MK is one of them).
    But as you have proved with your posts no-one else's attendence is in doubt - from the minute names appeared on the list the only skaters people are wondering whether they will attend or not are Kwan and (much less so) Cohen. Cohen went out of the GP last year because of injury and gave no reason to suggest that had she not been injured she wouldn't have competed. Kwan on the other hand had smoe minor back pain but issued a press release saying that yet again she would skip the GP to avoid over training injuries etc etc and NOT i'm withdrawing because of injury - she never blamed the injury she just made up her mind. To my mind its a dead cert that everyone else will turn up barring injury.

I'd love for Kwan to compete in the GP and win everything in sight, but there is absolutely nothing to stop her issuing the same press release this year as she did last year. As a fan can i disagree with that decision and read lots of things into it? Of course I can and i can speculate til the cows come home about all manner of things and about the potential effect on her Olympic chances. As a human being does it really matter? Not one tiny bit - i don't know Michelle Kwan personally and i have no idea what's it like to have the kind of focus a skater of her calibre has to have to be as competitive as she has been for as long as she has been. I don't know what its like to have to train like she does ( i struggle to get to the gym three times a week and the rink once a week so what do i know!) so if she wants to take it easy and skip the GP, on a human level, who am i to criticise?

Ant

[QUOTE=Red Dog]Well, this requires a strict JMO. but anyway, after seeing her being iffy for four years now about events that aren't Nationals or Worlds (or pro-ams for that matter) QUOTE]

Just out of interest - what pro-ams have there been since 2002?

And being pedantic - four years ago includes the 2001/2002 season where Kwan comepted in the whole GP series leading up tot he 2002 Olympics

Ant

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    The title of this thread is IMO, very misleading. Note that they don't JUST "confirm" MK, they confirm Cohen and all the other participants. Someone just saw that MK was on the list and made the thread all about Kwan being confirmed. But in reality, it's just a list of all the confirmed participants (and yes, MK is one of them).
    And what is your point? Anyone is welcome to title their thread whatever they would like.
    Feel free to start a thread about Miriam Manzano now being confirmed for SA ... I'm certain no one will critisize what you title the thread.

Who else may not show up? Susanna? Bebe? Other international Ladies?

The topic is Kwan confirmed but it has drifted into a new topic: Showing Up. It is relative to know if others will show up? It's a heluva long trip for Susanna. Will she hang around for Skate Canada? and will Kwan go to China?

One poster has serious doubts about Kwan showing up for Skate America. That's his perrogative. The debate has no ending.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    You have to be joking...i've never seen carolina in person but on TV she looks tiny petite, small boned and very girly, Jenna on the other hand is a much more muscular and womanly shape, i think she's quite tall for a skater too and generally looks like a more "athletic" skater.
    That's interesting. Don't you think there is a resemblance?

Carolina

Jenna

Carolina is slimmer in the hips, but I wouldn't call her tiny and petite by any stretch of the imagination. She is one of the taller skaters at 167 cm (almost 5'6"). Here she is towering over Irina and Sasha on the world's podium.

http://www.sol.de/storage/thm/home/d...onlineBild.jpg

Anyway, Carolina is not scheduled for Skate America and Jenna is, so I am going to root for her. :b

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    That's interesting. Don't you think there is a resemblance?

Carolina

Jenna

Carolina is slimmer in the hips, but I wouldn't call her tiny and petite by any stretch of the imagination. She is one of the taller skaters at 167 cm (almost 5'6"). Here she is towering over Irina and Sasha on the world's podium.

http://www.sol.de/storage/thm/home/d...onlineBild.jpg

Anyway, Carolina is not scheduled for Skate America and Jenna is, so I am going to root for her. :b

MM
    I think they do share a facial similarity but i was mostly thinking body types relly! I didn'trealise Carolina was as tall as 5'6''. I always think of Jenna as having more of Irina's build in terms of muscle mass. She also has nice big powerful jumps like Irina whereas i think of carolina as being a fast air spinner with "whippy" jumps like Tara.

I really enjoy Jenna's skating though - she's fast and has very good ice coverage. She's another skater that can land the triple axel in practices but there's no sign that its going into her competitive program any time soon.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    Just out of interest - what pro-ams have there been since 2002?
    I think Red Dog is referring to the three annual Invitationals (aka "cheesefests") -- the Campbell's and the Winter and Spring Marshall's events. Sometimes these events have included pro skaters. Kwan and especially Plushenko were criticized by the ISU last year for skipping the Grand Prix, supposedly because of injuries, but showing up for shows like these at the same time.

Red Dog, about the title of this thread (why single out Michelle?), I think that's obvious. Look at all the people (me, for instance) who are jumping up and down saying, oh boy, oh boy, NOW I'm definitely going to Atlantic City. Wild horses couldn't keep me away!

Mathman

Custom Title
    I think the USFSA went out of its way to say "CONFIRMED". Usually the USFSA blurbs 'announce' the skaters to appear at Skate America, but this one was very definite in the use of the word 'confirm'. I believe Kwan will be there.

Kwan now knows from hard experience that she HAS to get a CoP program out there multiple times to be sure it is competitive with the other top skaters. And I don't think Tarasova would have bothered to choreograph both SP and FS if she thought Kwan would be appearing only at cheesefests before 2006 Nationals and the Olympics. Remember, TT said she'd be back from time to time to tweak the programs.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    I think the USFSA went out of its way to say "CONFIRMED". Usually the USFSA blurbs 'announce' the skaters to appear at Skate America, but this one was very definite in the use of the word 'confirm'. I believe Kwan will be there.

Kwan now knows from hard experience that she HAS to get a CoP program out there multiple times to be sure it is competitive with the other top skaters. And I don't think Tarasova would have bothered to choreograph both SP and FS if she thought Kwan would be appearing only at cheesefests before 2006 Nationals and the Olympics. Remember, TT said she'd be back from time to time to tweak the programs.
    Tarasova will have been paid to choreograph both programs and i don't think it would make a blind bit of difference where the program would be used to compete or even if it would be used to compete at all. Tarasova is a very accomplished and world famous figure skating choreographer and is paid by many people to choreograph many different things. She has said in the past that the chance to work with Michelle would be an amazing experience and she would honoured to do it, i hardly think she would have gotten in touch and said i'll do your programs on one condition - that you do the GPs .

Why is Tarasova any different to Dean? Dean did Bolero last year regardless of Michelle's skipping the GP - and he has a greater beef with Michelle i'd have thought for stripping out all of his choreography! It salways a skater's choice what they do with the program.

Ant

Custom Title
    The difference is Tarasova is moving to Russia, and it's a long way to travel to 'tweak' a SP to be used only at Nationals/Olympics. If Kwan had indicated she wouldn't need the SP until January, why would TT have bothered to choreograph it at all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast