USFSA says MK is CONFIRMED for SA | Page 3 | Golden Skate

USFSA says MK is CONFIRMED for SA

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
That's interesting. Don't you think there is a resemblance?

Carolina

Jenna

Carolina is slimmer in the hips, but I wouldn't call her tiny and petite by any stretch of the imagination. She is one of the taller skaters at 167 cm (almost 5'6"). Here she is towering over Irina and Sasha on the world's podium.

http://www.sol.de/storage/thm/home/...-1qgq5346-20050319-img_8411488.onlineBild.jpg

Anyway, Carolina is not scheduled for Skate America and Jenna is, so I am going to root for her. :b

MM :)

I think they do share a facial similarity but i was mostly thinking body types relly! I didn'trealise Carolina was as tall as 5'6''. I always think of Jenna as having more of Irina's build in terms of muscle mass. She also has nice big powerful jumps like Irina whereas i think of carolina as being a fast air spinner with "whippy" jumps like Tara.

I really enjoy Jenna's skating though - she's fast and has very good ice coverage. She's another skater that can land the triple axel in practices but there's no sign that its going into her competitive program any time soon.

Ant

antmanb said:
Just out of interest - what pro-ams have there been since 2002?
I think Red Dog is referring to the three annual Invitationals (aka "cheesefests") -- the Campbell's and the Winter and Spring Marshall's events. Sometimes these events have included pro skaters. Kwan and especially Plushenko were criticized by the ISU last year for skipping the Grand Prix, supposedly because of injuries, but showing up for shows like these at the same time.

Red Dog, about the title of this thread (why single out Michelle?), I think that's obvious. Look at all the people (me, for instance) who are jumping up and down saying, oh boy, oh boy, NOW I'm definitely going to Atlantic City. Wild horses couldn't keep me away!

Mathman :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the USFSA went out of its way to say "CONFIRMED". Usually the USFSA blurbs 'announce' the skaters to appear at Skate America, but this one was very definite in the use of the word 'confirm'. I believe Kwan will be there.

Kwan now knows from hard experience that she HAS to get a CoP program out there multiple times to be sure it is competitive with the other top skaters. And I don't think Tarasova would have bothered to choreograph both SP and FS if she thought Kwan would be appearing only at cheesefests before 2006 Nationals and the Olympics. Remember, TT said she'd be back from time to time to tweak the programs.

antmanb

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
I think the USFSA went out of its way to say "CONFIRMED". Usually the USFSA blurbs 'announce' the skaters to appear at Skate America, but this one was very definite in the use of the word 'confirm'. I believe Kwan will be there.

Kwan now knows from hard experience that she HAS to get a CoP program out there multiple times to be sure it is competitive with the other top skaters. And I don't think Tarasova would have bothered to choreograph both SP and FS if she thought Kwan would be appearing only at cheesefests before 2006 Nationals and the Olympics. Remember, TT said she'd be back from time to time to tweak the programs.

Tarasova will have been paid to choreograph both programs and i don't think it would make a blind bit of difference where the program would be used to compete or even if it would be used to compete at all. Tarasova is a very accomplished and world famous figure skating choreographer and is paid by many people to choreograph many different things. She has said in the past that the chance to work with Michelle would be an amazing experience and she would honoured to do it, i hardly think she would have gotten in touch and said i'll do your programs on one condition - that you do the GPs :rofl: .

Why is Tarasova any different to Dean? Dean did Bolero last year regardless of Michelle's skipping the GP - and he has a greater beef with Michelle i'd have thought for stripping out all of his choreography! It salways a skater's choice what they do with the program.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The difference is Tarasova is moving to Russia, and it's a long way to travel to 'tweak' a SP to be used only at Nationals/Olympics. If Kwan had indicated she wouldn't need the SP until January, why would TT have bothered to choreograph it at all.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
For example- she said with her own mouth that she will be at the Olympics. And, in that scenario, I expect her to show up there 100% (barring injury or events out of her control, of course). Why? Because she directly committed to the event.
Since we are being so nit-picky and pedantic, your statement about what Michelle "said with her own mouth" about the Olympics is not correct. She didn't say that she would BE there -- she said something like she would be trying for it one more time or aiming for the Olympics one more time. She is well aware that making it to Turin is no sure thing for any athlete.

antmanb

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
The difference is Tarasova is moving to Russia, and it's a long way to travel to 'tweak' a SP to be used only at Nationals/Olympics. If Kwan had indicated she wouldn't need the SP until January, why would TT have bothered to choreograph it at all.

Because skating programs are usually choreographed in the summer and you need to have a program choreographed well before the date on which you are planning to compete with it in order to practise it. Furthermore Tarasova is a coach as well a choreographer and because of that she would not be available once the season is under way to spend weeks with someone choreographing programs with them unless that person is her own student.

It may be a long way to travel to tweak a program but given how much tarasova wants to work with kwan and given that she is going to be over in North Amercia with skaters throughout the season at the very least for Skate America and the Grand Prix Final its hardly going out of her way for a (presumably) very well paid job.

Tarasova is merely a choreographer to Kwan NOT a coach therefore will not be in any position to enforce a particular stance on whether she competes or not, since Kwan does her own thing i don't think anyone can. Tarasova can't even force kwan to skate the programs as Tarsova has choreographed them so i certainly don't see her being able to say i won't do them unless you skate in the GP...and even if she did, and kwan said "ok i'll skate in the GP" what is she going to do about it if Kwan doesn't skate in the GP?

Ant

mzheng

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Tarasova is merely a choreographer to Kwan NOT a coach therefore will not be in any position to enforce a particular stance on whether she competes or not, since Kwan does her own thing i don't think anyone can. Tarasova can't even force kwan to skate the programs as Tarsova has choreographed them so i certainly don't see her being able to say i won't do them unless you skate in the GP...and even if she did, and kwan said "ok i'll skate in the GP" what is she going to do about it if Kwan doesn't skate in the GP?

Ant

But, IMO, Kwan must take some precedence on consideration on TT's advices. Otherwise she would not perticulary seeking TT out to do choreograph BOTH of her programs.

euterpe

Medalist
TT jumped at the chance to choreograph for Kwan because she knows Kwan has a realistic shot at the OGM, and TT would love to be able to point to one more Olympic champion under her umbrella. At Worlds 2005, TT gave a Eurosport interview where she said she thought Kwan had skated the best, but didn't have enough points to win. Obviously, she saw that Kwan was capable of much more than she was doing.

It's useless to argue about whether or not Kwan will actually do the GP, but as far as I am concerned, she will be there. She DOES want a shot at the OGM, and she saw from her debacle at Worlds last season that she needs a lot more than a couple of cheesefests to get comfortable with a CoP-oriented program.

antmanb

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
But, IMO, Kwan must take some precedence on consideration on TT's advices. Otherwise she would not perticulary seeking TT out to do choreograph BOTH of her programs.

Undoubtedly Kwan sought out TT as much as TT sought out Kwan, but the job TT has been enlisted to do is to choreograph her programs for the Olympic season. Not as a coach or season long strategy advisor, as a choreographer - nothing more, nothing less. The person who would sit and plan the season with a skater would be their coach.

Ant

Kathy

On the Ice
Red Dog
Sorry If the title of this post is "misleading" certainly was not my intent. USFSA announcing all confirmed participant just wasn't breaking news to me, as to me there really isn't any doubt about the participation of the other skaters, baring injury. MK's participation - well to me, especially as one of her fans, that's major news. After all, not participanting in the GP last year - well she's been crucified for that - and her participation this year has been one of the major questions in people's minds. Will MK do the GP or not? People are basing everything from her sincerity about wanting to win the Olympics, to her ability, on this decision. So to me it was the USFSA claiming her committment and featuing her picture as the lead in, that was breaking news. And also the fact that this year I hope they would be more sure than last to avoid all the embarassment that caused. And ok I'll admit it. I'm so wanting MK to go all out this season and I so want her to do the GP I was hoping USFSA got it right this time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
skatingfan5 said:
Si :clap: She didn't say that she would BE there -- she said something like she would be trying for it one more time or aiming for the Olympics one more time. She is well aware that making it to Turin is no sure thing for any athlete.

I take it to mean the same thing. It's close enough.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kathy said:
Red Dog
Sorry If the title of this post is "misleading" certainly was not my intent. USFSA announcing all confirmed participant just wasn't breaking news to me, as to me there really isn't any doubt about the participation of the other skaters, baring injury. MK's participation - well to me, especially as one of her fans, that's major news. After all, not participanting in the GP last year - well she's been crucified for that - and her participation this year has been one of the major questions in people's minds. Will MK do the GP or not? People are basing everything from her sincerity about wanting to win the Olympics, to her ability, on this decision. So to me it was the USFSA claiming her committment and featuing her picture as the lead in, that was breaking news. And also the fact that this year I hope they would be more sure than last to avoid all the embarassment that caused. And ok I'll admit it. I'm so wanting MK to go all out this season and I so want her to do the GP I was hoping USFSA got it right this time.

Don't worry about it. It's just another one of my musings (hence the IMO at the beginning :sheesh: ). A lot of people here are kwan fans and they enjoy hearing this news. It just struck me that after seeing the title of this thread, the article didn't really focus so much on Kwan being there as it did everybody else- that is, it was only a list of the confirmed participants. But, Kwan supposedly is confirmed according to this article, and while everybody else celebrates, I'll wait and see what happens...ok?

Kathy

On the Ice
Red Dog
OK. But for what its worth - I am doing both - celebrating - and waiting to see what happens. While I think the article from the USFSA is news that is potentially very exciting, I am not so naive as to Totally have faith in it. Last years fiasco is too much in my memory to accept ANY news "hook line and sinker" until I see it with my own eyes.

Last edited:

curious

Final Flight
antmanb said:
Because skating programs are usually choreographed in the summer and you need to have a program choreographed well before the date on which you are planning to compete with it in order to practise it. Furthermore Tarasova is a coach as well a choreographer and because of that she would not be available once the season is under way to spend weeks with someone choreographing programs with them unless that person is her own student.

It may be a long way to travel to tweak a program but given how much tarasova wants to work with kwan and given that she is going to be over in North Amercia with skaters throughout the season at the very least for Skate America and the Grand Prix Final its hardly going out of her way for a (presumably) very well paid job.

Ant

That's the reason TT said Kwan is Kwan in her recent interview. She knows Michell does whatever Michell wants :biggrin:

mzheng

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Undoubtedly Kwan sought out TT as much as TT sought out Kwan, but the job TT has been enlisted to do is to choreograph her programs for the Olympic season. Not as a coach or season long strategy advisor, as a choreographer - nothing more, nothing less. The person who would sit and plan the season with a skater would be their coach.

Ant

I seriousely doubt during the time they (TT, MK, RA) worked together, there was no any of related talks.

To Red Dog, LOL:

The Jeremiahs moan and the Thomases doubt,
But Shelly's gonna turn the Boardwalk out!

Here she comes -- let the scoffers scoff!
A Vera Wang dress and a brand new coif!

Here she comes -- let the mockers mock it!
Got Skate America in her pocket!

Here she comes -- let the naysayers neigh!
Shelly's comin' out to kick boo-tay!

Shelly's gonna kick it in a major way. :p

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
Didn't they "confirm" her last year, too? I'm not getting my hopes up here.

Still, assuming that the association is NOT assuming, this may be a good thing.

For now, I'll believe it when I see it. (or in this case, her!)
She was also confirmed for Skate Canada too, as well as, Evgeni and neither were there. Skate Canada had large posters made up with both Michelle and Evgeni. Needless to say many were upset that they weren't there.

I just think it would be wise on her part to do the Grand Prix.

Dee

Eeyora

Final Flight
I definitely see her planning on being there. It would be in her best interest to skate there. So if she she does compete this would mean she is skating in China because She can't only do one event.

Red Dog - We all know how much you love Kwan and that you are waiting with baited breath to see if she shows up at Skate America that you would love to be there with her. What the Kwaniacs want to know is if MK wins the Olys will you still be around Golden Skate to share in the glory? :scratch:

Joe