Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: USFSA says MK is CONFIRMED for SA

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    For example- she said with her own mouth that she will be at the Olympics. And, in that scenario, I expect her to show up there 100% (barring injury or events out of her control, of course). Why? Because she directly committed to the event.
    Since we are being so nit-picky and pedantic, your statement about what Michelle "said with her own mouth" about the Olympics is not correct. She didn't say that she would BE there -- she said something like she would be trying for it one more time or aiming for the Olympics one more time. She is well aware that making it to Turin is no sure thing for any athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    The difference is Tarasova is moving to Russia, and it's a long way to travel to 'tweak' a SP to be used only at Nationals/Olympics. If Kwan had indicated she wouldn't need the SP until January, why would TT have bothered to choreograph it at all.
    Because skating programs are usually choreographed in the summer and you need to have a program choreographed well before the date on which you are planning to compete with it in order to practise it. Furthermore Tarasova is a coach as well a choreographer and because of that she would not be available once the season is under way to spend weeks with someone choreographing programs with them unless that person is her own student.

It may be a long way to travel to tweak a program but given how much tarasova wants to work with kwan and given that she is going to be over in North Amercia with skaters throughout the season at the very least for Skate America and the Grand Prix Final its hardly going out of her way for a (presumably) very well paid job.

Tarasova is merely a choreographer to Kwan NOT a coach therefore will not be in any position to enforce a particular stance on whether she competes or not, since Kwan does her own thing i don't think anyone can. Tarasova can't even force kwan to skate the programs as Tarsova has choreographed them so i certainly don't see her being able to say i won't do them unless you skate in the GP...and even if she did, and kwan said "ok i'll skate in the GP" what is she going to do about it if Kwan doesn't skate in the GP?

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    Tarasova is merely a choreographer to Kwan NOT a coach therefore will not be in any position to enforce a particular stance on whether she competes or not, since Kwan does her own thing i don't think anyone can. Tarasova can't even force kwan to skate the programs as Tarsova has choreographed them so i certainly don't see her being able to say i won't do them unless you skate in the GP...and even if she did, and kwan said "ok i'll skate in the GP" what is she going to do about it if Kwan doesn't skate in the GP?

Ant
    But, IMO, Kwan must take some precedence on consideration on TT's advices. Otherwise she would not perticulary seeking TT out to do choreograph BOTH of her programs.

Custom Title
    TT jumped at the chance to choreograph for Kwan because she knows Kwan has a realistic shot at the OGM, and TT would love to be able to point to one more Olympic champion under her umbrella. At Worlds 2005, TT gave a Eurosport interview where she said she thought Kwan had skated the best, but didn't have enough points to win. Obviously, she saw that Kwan was capable of much more than she was doing.

It's useless to argue about whether or not Kwan will actually do the GP, but as far as I am concerned, she will be there. She DOES want a shot at the OGM, and she saw from her debacle at Worlds last season that she needs a lot more than a couple of cheesefests to get comfortable with a CoP-oriented program.

Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    But, IMO, Kwan must take some precedence on consideration on TT's advices. Otherwise she would not perticulary seeking TT out to do choreograph BOTH of her programs.
    Undoubtedly Kwan sought out TT as much as TT sought out Kwan, but the job TT has been enlisted to do is to choreograph her programs for the Olympic season. Not as a coach or season long strategy advisor, as a choreographer - nothing more, nothing less. The person who would sit and plan the season with a skater would be their coach.

Ant

Custom Title
    Red Dog
    Sorry If the title of this post is "misleading" certainly was not my intent. USFSA announcing all confirmed participant just wasn't breaking news to me, as to me there really isn't any doubt about the participation of the other skaters, baring injury. MK's participation - well to me, especially as one of her fans, that's major news. After all, not participanting in the GP last year - well she's been crucified for that - and her participation this year has been one of the major questions in people's minds. Will MK do the GP or not? People are basing everything from her sincerity about wanting to win the Olympics, to her ability, on this decision. So to me it was the USFSA claiming her committment and featuing her picture as the lead in, that was breaking news. And also the fact that this year I hope they would be more sure than last to avoid all the embarassment that caused. And ok I'll admit it. I'm so wanting MK to go all out this season and I so want her to do the GP I was hoping USFSA got it right this time.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5
    Si She didn't say that she would BE there -- she said something like she would be trying for it one more time or aiming for the Olympics one more time. She is well aware that making it to Turin is no sure thing for any athlete.
    I take it to mean the same thing. It's close enough.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy
    Red Dog
    Sorry If the title of this post is "misleading" certainly was not my intent. USFSA announcing all confirmed participant just wasn't breaking news to me, as to me there really isn't any doubt about the participation of the other skaters, baring injury. MK's participation - well to me, especially as one of her fans, that's major news. After all, not participanting in the GP last year - well she's been crucified for that - and her participation this year has been one of the major questions in people's minds. Will MK do the GP or not? People are basing everything from her sincerity about wanting to win the Olympics, to her ability, on this decision. So to me it was the USFSA claiming her committment and featuing her picture as the lead in, that was breaking news. And also the fact that this year I hope they would be more sure than last to avoid all the embarassment that caused. And ok I'll admit it. I'm so wanting MK to go all out this season and I so want her to do the GP I was hoping USFSA got it right this time.
    Don't worry about it. It's just another one of my musings (hence the IMO at the beginning :sheesh: ). A lot of people here are kwan fans and they enjoy hearing this news. It just struck me that after seeing the title of this thread, the article didn't really focus so much on Kwan being there as it did everybody else- that is, it was only a list of the confirmed participants. But, Kwan supposedly is confirmed according to this article, and while everybody else celebrates, I'll wait and see what happens...ok?

Custom Title
    Red Dog
    OK. But for what its worth - I am doing both - celebrating - and waiting to see what happens. While I think the article from the USFSA is news that is potentially very exciting, I am not so naive as to Totally have faith in it. Last years fiasco is too much in my memory to accept ANY news "hook line and sinker" until I see it with my own eyes.
    Last edited by Kathy; 08-18-2005 at 12:59 PM.

Custom Title
    Because skating programs are usually choreographed in the summer and you need to have a program choreographed well before the date on which you are planning to compete with it in order to practise it. Furthermore Tarasova is a coach as well a choreographer and because of that she would not be available once the season is under way to spend weeks with someone choreographing programs with them unless that person is her own student.

It may be a long way to travel to tweak a program but given how much tarasova wants to work with kwan and given that she is going to be over in North Amercia with skaters throughout the season at the very least for Skate America and the Grand Prix Final its hardly going out of her way for a (presumably) very well paid job.

Ant

That's the reason TT said Kwan is Kwan in her recent interview. She knows Michell does whatever Michell wants

Custom Title
    Undoubtedly Kwan sought out TT as much as TT sought out Kwan, but the job TT has been enlisted to do is to choreograph her programs for the Olympic season. Not as a coach or season long strategy advisor, as a choreographer - nothing more, nothing less. The person who would sit and plan the season with a skater would be their coach.

Ant
    I seriousely doubt during the time they (TT, MK, RA) worked together, there was no any of related talks.

To Red Dog, LOL:

The Jeremiahs moan and the Thomases doubt,
    But Shelly's gonna turn the Boardwalk out!

Here she comes -- let the scoffers scoff!
    A Vera Wang dress and a brand new coif!

Here she comes -- let the mockers mock it!
    Got Skate America in her pocket!

Here she comes -- let the naysayers neigh!
    Shelly's comin' out to kick boo-tay!

Shelly's gonna kick it in a major way.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Didn't they "confirm" her last year, too? I'm not getting my hopes up here.

Still, assuming that the association is NOT assuming, this may be a good thing.

For now, I'll believe it when I see it. (or in this case, her!)
    She was also confirmed for Skate Canada too, as well as, Evgeni and neither were there. Skate Canada had large posters made up with both Michelle and Evgeni. Needless to say many were upset that they weren't there.

I just think it would be wise on her part to do the Grand Prix.

Dee

Custom Title
    I definitely see her planning on being there. It would be in her best interest to skate there. So if she she does compete this would mean she is skating in China because She can't only do one event.

Red Dog - We all know how much you love Kwan and that you are waiting with baited breath to see if she shows up at Skate America that you would love to be there with her. What the Kwaniacs want to know is if MK wins the Olys will you still be around Golden Skate to share in the glory?

Joe

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast