Thread: Midori Ito Biography & Snapshot

SkateFan4Life

Midori Ito Biography & Snapshot

Here's a link to an interesting biography on 1989 World Champion Midori Ito of Japan, the first woman to land a triple axel at Worlds. Enjoy!

There's a snapshot of 14-year-old Midori competing in 1994.

http://www.mountaindragon.com/midori/mibio.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    There's a snapshot of 14-year-old Midori competing in 1994.
    You mean 1984 (the woman was born in '69). I will always think of her as a great jumper with extremely large ears.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IDLERACER
    I will always think of her as a great jumper with extremely large ears.
    LOL! Maybe the ears are the secret of how she gets up in the air so well. Think Dumbo.

SkateFan4Life
    You mean 1984 (the woman was born in '69). I will always think of her as a great jumper with extremely large ears.

Idleracer - OK, OK, it was 1984. You don't need to be sarcastic. And, you also do not need to make comments about Midori Ito's ears. That's bashing, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Idleracer - OK, OK, it was 1984. You don't need to make comments about Midori Ito's ears. That's bashing, in my opinion.
    I wasn't bashing anyone. I will also always remember Lyndon Johnson for his Great Society programs, and large ears. I never said anything about large ears being unattractive. It's just a distinctive physical characteristic. Furthermore, I will always remember Nancy Kerrigan for holding her free-leg when spiraling, and her large teeth.

SkateFan4Life
    I wasn't bashing anyone. I will also always remember Lyndon Johnson for his Great Society programs, and large ears. I never said anything about large ears being unattractive. It's just a distinctive physical characteristic. Furthermore, I will always remember Nancy Kerrigan for holding her free-leg when spiraling, and her large teeth.
    Well, OK, Idleracer. As long as we both admire Midori Ito as the fantastic jumper she was - and hopefully still is.

I remember the press referred to her as "the jumping flea" because of her small size - around 4' 10" in height. I'm sure the press did not mean to bash her, and I'm sure, after reading your post, that you weren't trying to bash Midori.

'Nuff said on the subject!