Thread: NBC Olympics Coverage Details? Announcers, HD coverage, etc?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

NBC Olympics Coverage Details? Announcers, HD coverage, etc?

I recently visited the NBC website in hope of finding out details about the Turin 2006 competition. There is absolutely no information on NBC yet. Does any know, or can give me a link to a site, with the following information:

* Who will be the anchors & the figure-skating analysts for the 2006 NBC telecasts? [Is Scott Hamilton well enough to return as the main skating analyst, for example? Will it be Sandra Bezik and Vern Lundquist in the booth, once again? If so, Russian skaters better run & take cover!]

* Will the NBC Family of cable channels offer more in-depth coverage of skating, a-la the 2004 Athens broadcasts? It would be great if we could see more than 7-8 performances in each event!!! Better yet, how about letting us see an entire field of skaters, a-la Eurosport?

* Also, as in Athens, will NBC be offering high-definition coverage of certain marquee events? In the case of Athens, lucky viewers with HD could see the ENTIRE gymnastics event (mens & ladies artistic, as well as rhythmic). Maybe we skating fans may be offered the chance to see the ENTIRE skating competition, in some form, at a premium cost?

I would be willing to pay up to $500 (maybe more) for the privilege & joy of seeing the ENTIRE skating competition (pairs, men, dance & ladies) as it happens, live, commercial free, from the comfort of my living room. How about you?
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 08-22-2005 at 09:16 AM.

AFAIK - Scott Hamilton has not said if he will return or not. The last article I read on the subject had him hoping to be well enough, but that was back in March or April and he didn't sound like his sight at that time was well enough to do the job as well as he wanted.

I hope and pray that he will be able to anchor for NBC, whether or not he's a good commentator has been debated, but if he commentates it'd be a sign he's on the mend...

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I hope and pray that he will be able to anchor for NBC, whether or not he's a good commentator has been debated, but if he commentates it'd be a sign he's on the mend...
    I would have to disagree with you. I hope that Scott doesn't anchor, not because of illness but let someone else do it who doesn't screech and hollar. :frown2: I was so disappointed with his commentary.

Dee

Rinkside
    NBC didn't put together major Olympic section up on MSNBC Sports until June of 2004 for the Athen Games. The site NBC Olympics .COM didn't come up until July 14, 2004 and which is a month before The Athen's games. So you probly won't see anything from NBC nor MSNBC on The 2006 Torino Italy, Winter Olympic Games until probly December. That usually what happens. So NBC Olympic website won't be up until middle of January so that's when you will find out. Also you have remember NBC Sports has to BroadCast Not only the Winter Olympics Games, but they also do the Daytona 500 include Speed Weeks at Daytona. So who knows what NBC going to be doing that month for the Broad Cast times will be.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the info. KatyFan1 - Your info was especially helpful. Now I won't worry about the special NBC site not being up. Once it goes up, we will know if skating will be offered on more than one network of the NBC family.

Remember the TBS afternoon broadcasts of the Albertville, Lillehammer & Nagano Olympics (when CBS did the major broadcasts)? Those TBS afternoon cablecasts were GREAT because that's where we'd get to see a lot of the early skaters (like the Aussie Carrs, Bourne & Kraatz's set patterns, Mila Kajas of Finland...remember her?). For Salt Lake City/NBC, I don't recall any such 'outlet' on cable to allow us to see the earlier/younger/less known skaters.

In retrospect, the NBC Salt Lake coverage was the absolute worst I've seen, for skating...and I've been watching & taping since 1980!!!! Ah......I remember the 1984 ABC Sarajevo coverage, when we got to see about 20 different teams skate their Original Set Patterns to Paso Doble. Those were the days! (sigh)

Frau Muller
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 08-22-2005 at 01:53 PM.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    Thanks for the info. KatyFan1 - Your info was especially helpful. Now I won't worry about the special NBC site not being up. Once it goes up, we will know if skating will be offered on more than one network of the NBC family.

Remember the TBS afternoon broadcasts of the Albertville, Lillehammer & Nagano Olympics (when CBS did the major broadcasts)? Those TBS afternoon cablecasts were GREAT because that's where we'd get to see a lot of the early skaters (like the Aussie Carrs, Bourne & Kraatz's set patterns, Mila Kajas of Finland...remember her?). For Salt Lake City/NBC, I don't recall any such 'outlet' on cable to allow us to see the earlier/younger/less known skaters.

In retrospect, the NBC Salt Lake coverage was the absolute worst I've seen, for skating...and I've been watching & taping since 1980!!!! Ah......I remember the 1984 ABC Sarajevo coverage, when we got to see about 20 different teams skate their Original Set Patterns to Paso Doble. Those were the days! (sigh)

Frau Muller
    I've heard that ABC had the best coverage of all the Olympics =(

Custom Title
    NBC also has other cable outlets such as MSNBC where they can provide additional coverage. But usually what they show there are the lesser-known and less-popular sports.

Because the Ladies and Mens SPs are by random draw, NBC will likely tape the performances and show the top skaters in prime time. But how they will do the FSs is problematic, considering the 6-hour time difference.

SkateFan4Life
    Well, I think I pay enough for my cable television service, and with 80-plus channels, I would think (and pray) that there would be extensive coverage for the Winter Olympics.

One issue is the time difference between the US (speaking of the East Coast, where I reside) and Italy. I think there's a six-hour time difference, so if the figure skating competitions were to be aired live, they would probably be broadcast in the afternoon over here. I certainly hope the powers at NBC don't expect the skaters to compete at the wee hours of the morning so that we can watch the competition on live television! After all, that's what VCRs are for. I expect to purchase a supply of videocassettes and tape as much of the competition as I can, whether or not I'm at home when the competition takes place.

As for the commentators, I hope NBC does NOT hire Sandra Bezic! IMHO, she's a royal know-it-all, overly opinionated, and she comes across as a snob of the first order. She went ballistic at Salt Lake over the pairs competition because
    Sele and Pelltier happen to be Canadians, as she is. What kind of biased reporting is that? Of course (!!!) the judging controversy was terrible, and this issue had to be brought out in the light, but IMHO, Bezic is extremely prejudiced.
    I also think that Scott Hamilton fueled the fire for the controversy, as he took the side of his fellow North Americans. I realize that we're all human beings and have a certain degree of "favoritism", but this has to be kept in control when you're a broadcast journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    * Also, as in Athens, will NBC be offering high-definition coverage of certain marquee events? In the case of Athens, lucky viewers with HD could see the ENTIRE gymnastics event (mens & ladies artistic, as well as rhythmic). Maybe we skating fans may be offered the chance to see the ENTIRE skating competition, in some form, at a premium cost?
    HD coverage in Athens was not that great. They did not show all the gymnastics competition, but they did show more than the regular broadcast. The bad part was that it did not air until the morning after the primetime coverage. Also, there was a lot of wasted time that they filled with stock footage of the Parthenon. It was very strange - they would show some gymnastics and then show 10 minutes of stock footage of the venues set to Olympic theme music.

Tripping on the Podium
    I admire Scott Hamilton as a person and skating champion, and I very much hope he has a full recovery because he doesn't deserve the cards he's been dealt. Having said that, I concur, his commentating at 2002 Olys was so disappointing. If I recall correctly, he said something to the effect that Alexei was holding back and that he'd obviously conceded his LP to Plush. That comment was so far out of line, actually depressing to hear - a real downer. And his comments during the pairs competion - yikes. I'd never thought of it, but I agree, Bezic was a bit smug.

Kelly
    Last edited by Kelly22; 08-23-2005 at 12:19 AM.

I hated Scott's commentary. Though they weren't as bad as the other guy they had commenting on the Olympics. I don't remember his name, he wasn't a skater or anything, and he was the one who was talking when Fontana was skating about her father's suicide. My favorite comentator is Tracy Wilson.

I wouldn't mind Nancy Kerrigan.{Please do not confuse your bias towards Nancy's skating. This is commentating} She knows exactly what is going on out there on the ice. She now has the mature voice of a lady. and she did a nice job with the juniors and even the fluff pieces. She is not obtrusive.

I wonder if she is contracted to the ABC family?

I find Boitano's voice somewhat effeminate like. Scott, of course and so many other skaters have the squeaky voice or the little boy voice. Actually Gannon's voice is perfect but he does lack the knowledge of skating elements.

How about Kurt Browning and Nancy Kerrigan?

Joe

Custom Title
    Ughhh. I'm pretty sure that when Kerrigan did her commentary for World Juniors, it was all scripted and dubbed in after the fact. Her "live" commentary for the recent Liberty Open was dreadful, by comparison. Nonstop jabbering during the performance about stuff that often had no relevance to what the skater was doing on the ice, a lot of stumbling over words and having problems speaking in coherent sentences, and in some cases just being totally off-base in her comments.

OTOH, I personally do not find Sandra Bezic objectionable. She doesn't talk too much during the performance, her comments seem well thought-out (even if somewhat opinionated), and she expresses herself well without getting tongue-tied or yelling when she gets excited. Tracy Wilson is also quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    I hated Scott's commentary. Though they weren't as bad as the other guy they had commenting on the Olympics. I don't remember his name, he wasn't a skater or anything, and he was the one who was talking when Fontana was skating about her father's suicide. My favorite comentator is Tracy Wilson.
    Al Trautwig, IIRC... has been the color commentator for figure skating on NBC for years and still knows zilch about the sport....

Down With It
    Quick question if I will. What is a "color" commentator? I've heard this term but never quite understood it. Thanks in advance.