Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: NBC Olympics Coverage Details? Announcers, HD coverage, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I wouldn't mind ABC doing it. They have the staff for figure skating and their cameramen are as good as any if not better.
    I agree Doug Wilson is the best TV Figure Skating director, hands down... one of my TV heroes....

I loved the commentary team from CBS.... but I dunno.... every team has it's winners and "losers"

I love Terry Gannon from ABC, Verne Lundquist and Scotty from CBS, and I liked Scott on NBC....

Kurt Browning needs to commentate again... as does Brian Orser (granted it'd be for Canadian TV but they always crack me up)

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    I hated Scott's commentary. Though they weren't as bad as the other guy they had commenting on the Olympics. I don't remember his name, he wasn't a skater or anything, and he was the one who was talking when Fontana was skating about her father's suicide. My favorite comentator is Tracy Wilson.
    Al Trautwig, IIRC... has been the color commentator for figure skating on NBC for years and still knows zilch about the sport....

Down With It
    Quick question if I will. What is a "color" commentator? I've heard this term but never quite understood it. Thanks in advance.

Tripping on the Podium
    Boitano would be an excellent commentator! He and Susie Wynn would be great together!

If I had my way, there would be NO Scotty, Sandra, or Tom. Verne is okay, but he can seem a little "blah" sometimes . . . . . Terry Gannon would do a much better job!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Quick question if I will. What is a "color" commentator? I've heard this term but never quite understood it. Thanks in advance.
    Wikipedia, the on-line do-it-yourself encyclopedia (i.e., if you don't like thier definition, you can edit it yourself) says: "A color (or colour) commentator is a member of the broadcasting team for a sporting event who assists the play-by-play announcer by filling in any time when play is not in progress. The color commentator provides analysis and background information, such as statistics, on the teams and athletes."

I guess the idea is that the play by play guy does the "black and white" of the braodcast, and the color guy does the little bits that add flavor to the show (to mix metaphors).

I think Terry Gannon is supposed to be the play by play guy and Dick and Peggy supply the color, though maybe this distinction doesn't apply so directly to figure skating as it does to baseball, etc. Usually the play by play guy is a wimpy professional broadcaster (Bob Costas) and the color guy is an ex-jock (John Madden).

Something like that.
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-23-2005 at 07:11 PM.

I like Sandra Bezik because she gives information, especially about music and choreography, that I didn't know before. Same with Suzie Wynn, about ice dance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I like Sandra Bezik because she gives information, especially about music and choreography, that I didn't know before. Same with Suzie Wynn, about ice dance.
    I feel the same way...especially about ice dance since i know soooo little about it.

I don't mind Terry Gannon a bit, and a just have this feeling that in a different format he could really be great. For example, I wish figure skating had commentators more like other sports...the play by play (call the element...double axle, triple lutz, sit spin, etc)...with a few added 'colorful' remarks during set up or kiss and cry moments...I could imagine Gannon filling in stats on that skater or that element etc.

I actually can't imagine Nancy Kerigan commentating...and not because I don't like her skating but because when I listen to her in interviews I think: yuck. But, I haven't heard her speak since a quick interview in the last olympics...so, maybe (especially with training) she could be good. I do think it important to have someone who knows the sport, knows the elements, understands what's happening etc. to be commentating.

I like Scott's enthusiasm (somehow reminds me of a younger and sweeter version of Dick Button) and don't mind the effeminate voice...same with Boitano: his voice doesn't bother me a bit and I wouldn't mind him either, nor would I mind Browning...i would kind of like browning and boitano together (like old rivals)....but again, i would prefer a blow by blow on the elements...stats/fluff in between skaters.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Wikipedia, the on-line do-it-yourself encyclopedia (i.e., if you don't like thier definition, you can edit it yourself) says: "A color (or colour) commentator is a member of the broadcasting team for a sporting event who assists the play-by-play announcer by filling in any time when play is not in progress. The color commentator provides analysis and background information, such as statistics, on the teams and athletes."

I guess the idea is that the play by play guy does the "black and white" of the braodcast, and the color guy does the little bits that add flavor to the show (to mix metaphors).

I think Terry Gannon is supposed to be the play by play guy and Dick and Peggy supply the color, though maybe this distinction doesn't apply so directly to figure skating as it does to baseball, etc. Usually the play by play guy is a wimpy professional broadcaster (Bob Costas) and the color guy is an ex-jock (John Madden).

Something like that.

Ah, now I get it. It's the analyst guy.

I always thought of that as the "commentator" (the play-by-play announcer) and the "analyst" (the person who "fills in" and ties all the loose ends). Thanks, MM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog
    Ughhh. I'm pretty sure that when Kerrigan did her commentary for World Juniors, it was all scripted and dubbed in after the fact. Her "live" commentary for the recent Liberty Open was dreadful, by comparison. Nonstop jabbering during the performance about stuff that often had no relevance to what the skater was doing on the ice, a lot of stumbling over words and having problems speaking in coherent sentences, and in some cases just being totally off-base in her comments.
    I guess that I am not alone. She was absolutely, nightmarishly terrible. It was painful to hear. If she did the commentary at the Olympics, it would be one more reason for me to be thankful I can get Canadian coverage. I don't want to suffer that much even for figure skating.

BTW, I liked her skating.

Rinkside
    I really Boitano when he did 96 nationals and worlds. Of course nothing beats Uncle Dick with his pen and flip chart at the 1980 Olympics with diagrams of the compulsory dances. Who needs technology? LOL

Rinkside
    Oops - that should have said I really liked Boitano ...

I never thought of Bob Costas as a wimp. He is always so well prepared in interviews whatever the sport.

Joe

I meant nerd.

Is that nerd as in mathematician?

Joe

I think I remember reading somewhere that NBC's FS commentators for these Olympics were to be Scott Hamilton & Kristi Yamaguchi; or at least I read something that, to me, indicated that. Maybe a recent skating magazine; I'll have to go check.

Andy W.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast