NBC Olympics Coverage Details? Announcers, HD coverage, etc? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

NBC Olympics Coverage Details? Announcers, HD coverage, etc?

ATW27

On the Ice
I think I remember reading somewhere that NBC's FS commentators for these Olympics were to be Scott Hamilton & Kristi Yamaguchi; or at least I read something that, to me, indicated that. Maybe a recent skating magazine; I'll have to go check.

Andy W.

ATW27

On the Ice
ATW27 said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that NBC's FS commentators for these Olympics were to be Scott Hamilton & Kristi Yamaguchi; or at least I read something that, to me, indicated that. Maybe a recent skating magazine; I'll have to go check.

Andy W.

Okay... found it... And it's NOT, I repeat NOT for the Olympics; Scott & Kristi are just hosting one of the skating shows NBC puts on during the holidays. So never mind. It's in the news section of the current issue of Blades On Ice.

Andy W.

Eeyora

Final Flight
What about Paul?. He is very good at explaining COP's and thats what the general audience may need. Kurt is not bad. I rather enjoyed him when he commentated 94 Worlds.

Kelly22

Rinkside
I think I need to weigh in on this topic. Paul Wylie would be great, he's mature, highly intelligent, a good communicator, his voice isn't objectionable and he is a skater. I like Terry Gannon as well, he seems to know when not to talk. I have much admiration for Scott, but he was definitely not good in the booth, especially for an event as important as the Olympics. Boitano would be good IF he could loose the efeminate voice. In the future, and if he continues to expand his English vocabulary, Alexei Yagudin would be an interesting choice because he understands the technical and mental aspects of the sport better than anyone, he is very smart and would know when to shut-up and let the skating talk.

The pool of female skating commentators is slim. Nancy Kerrigan - NO, Kristi Yamaguchi - no (she's smart and likable but her voice would get on my nerves).

For pairs, I think Sale and Pelletier would be intersting, as would John Zimmerman after they retire.

Last edited:
Does anyone think besides me that posters are pushing for the skaters they like as skaters and making the best out of them for qualifying as commentators? It's coming down to my favorite skater should be a commentator.

Why not a coach who is retired or semi-retired? Even that, the commentator to be should have had some courses in Human and Media Communications and worked on the college media team for practice.

It's like a skater retiring from eligibility and decides to become an actress automatically. It does take some Acting courses and a lot of luck.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Tara would make an excellent commentator. I always found that she was extremely articulate and poised in interviews and she has a great speaking voice. Plus all those acting lessons will help in commentating.

I also think Sarah Hughes would make an excellent commentator. She too has a great voice and is articulate.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tara? No way. She is a passable speaker, but she has no experience in this area. Acting and commentating are two completely different skills. She is a poor actress, and I am not so sure that she would be good at extemporaneous speaking, which is basically what commentating is.

Sarah Hughes does have TV experience, but she is still an eligible skater, and the possibility that her sister could be on the Olympic team should elminate her from consideration.

I agree with others that Paul Wylie would be an excellent choice, but since he's worked on ESPN (the ABC family), that would seem to make him an unlikely candidate.

Just please let's NOT have Rosalyn Sumners. I think if she got the job I would have to put the MUTE button on.

waxel

Final Flight
Joe, sorry, but I find the comment about (your perception of) the effiminate quality of Brian Boitano's voice to be inappropriate. Even if accurate, and I'm not stipulating that it is, how would that effect his ability to provide accurate and compelling commentary?

euterpe

Medalist
Boitano's voice is slightly nasal and a bit high-pitched, but I'd hardly label it 'effeminate'. A voice coach could help him develop a better "broadcasting" delivery. I have enjoyed the few times I've heard his commentary.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Does anyone think besides me that posters are pushing for the skaters they like as skaters and making the best out of them for qualifying as commentators? It's coming down to my favorite skater should be a commentator.

Well from a media standpoint... the SKATERS are more well known that coaches, so you have to think of that as far as ratings go. This is why Scott Hamilton was chosen in the 80s to commentate... the first US man in eons to win the Oly gold in Figure Skating. He was pretty well known, and likeable. Whether or not his voice is "perfect" (I find nothing wrong with it, though it was over the top in 02, but whatever) does not really matter to the network... they're going on name. The average Joe-just watches skating during the Olympics-thinks he and Sandra and Dick and Peggy are geniouses... even if they may not be. Just because they won a medal.

I didn't choose Kurt or Brian as my choices because they are favorite skaters of mine... I have heard their commentary... Brian is snarky without being overly so, and Kurt has the energy of Scott, but is not as loud and his voice is very pleasant. In Canada they work because they are skating heroes...

In the US, not so much unless you follow skating, or remember what they were when they were competing.

if that makes no sense oh well, I know what I meant :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
waxel said:
Joe, sorry, but I find the comment about (your perception of) the effiminate quality of Brian Boitano's voice to be inappropriate. Even if accurate, and I'm not stipulating that it is, how would that effect his ability to provide accurate and compelling commentary?

waxel, Joe was not the one who made comment to Boitano's voice, it was the poster above him :)

I'm not a big fan of Boitano's... it isn't how he talks... he just reminds me too much of a know it all when he talks... like he's talking down to me, and I don't like that. Superiority over the air may work for some, but not for me LOL (I AM NOT SAYING BOITANO DOES IT INTENTIONALLY)

waxel

Final Flight
Obviously we all have opinions, I've just never found Brian's voice to be particularly effeminate. (Although I do apologize for misspelling the word in my previous post. LOL.)

Personally, if I can't have Dick and Peggy, I agree with the post(s) that mention Tracy Wilson. I've always enjoyed her coverage of events.

Kelly22

Rinkside
I took the cue "effeminite" from a previous poster (it was not an original), and while a better choice of words would have been more appropriate, I agreed with their description. It is just an opinion, not a slam. I think it's his (Boitano's) intonations, not content, is what causes a few people to feel he is taking down to them. I am not one of those people. I actually like what he has to say, and a voice coach could probably resolve any objection. During his time, I thought he was a flawless skater, does that make him a good commentator? Not necessarily, but maybe.

Kurt was never one of my favorites although I like him. Paul Wylie certainly was not one of my favorite skaters, but I believe he has a lot to offer as a commentator.

Kristi was a great and popular skater, I just think there would be better choices in the booth. I agree with Joe's suggestion of coaches - but where are they and why aren't they in the booth?

As far as hypothesizing about who we think would be good in the booth, I can speak for myself that it has nothing to do with who my favorite skaters are. But it is about who I believe could be good in the booth. I think your comments are unnecessarily biting, Joe.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Boitano's voice is slightly nasal and a bit high-pitched, but I'd hardly label it 'effeminate'. A voice coach could help him develop a better "broadcasting" delivery. I have enjoyed the few times I've heard his commentary.
Scott's voice is high pithed, especially when he got excited. I clearly remember his infamouse comments and voice in SLC pairs and mens competetion. :frown2:

I'm getting a lot of attention with 'efeminate voice' and overall 'biting'remarks. And not all that favourable. I'm really sorry if it offended posters.

I was thinking of my days in a news room where the macho executives speak quite candidly about deciding on what voice to choose for a broadcast. One could hear: 'too high pitched'; 'too sissyish'; 'not deep enough'; 'public won't buy that voice', etc.

But I now realize that skating fans want their skaters cum commentators to be able to win over the general public in informative (let's hope) calling the shots.

I'll lay off this now and hope that the general public will like the well known skaters do the commentating and the stand up comics, and Saturday Night Live skits will not degrade them.

Joe

Last edited: