Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: NBC Olympics Coverage Details? Announcers, HD coverage, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by jesslily
    I am more concerned about if there is any grand prix TV coverage this Fall? who will be doing it?
    ITA!!!

Joe

Custom Title
    and will we see any short programs (in the US) before nationals?

I don't think Tara & Sara are good choices for commentators at Oly's. It has nothing to do with their personalities and speaking abilities - they are Too Young. I don't think America would take them seriously. Sure, they are Oly gold medalists, but it would seem more like a junior correspondent reporting. Even with the gold medals, their careers are short compared to the expert commentators. I don't think any network would bring in an inexperienced commentator for a major event. If the networks wanted them, they would have tried them out in other events to see how they react when covering live action without scripts.

Button and Fleming, Tracy Wilson, Sandra Bezic, etc have had years of experience as skaters and within other areas of skating, like touring, choreography, etc. When Peggy started, she was teamed up with a more experience Button.

The next generation of commentators are Paul Wylie, Peter Carruthers, etc - IMO. Out of all the skaters from the 80's and early 90's who I've seen commentate, I think Paul's the best. He's articulate, well-prepared and pleasant. I thought he was really good in the All-Access show.

I saw Nancy's commentating during Liberty, too and she seemed 'not comfortable'. It didn't seem like she was having a good time and that made her hard to watch.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang

I saw Nancy's commentating during Liberty, too and she seemed 'not comfortable'. It didn't seem like she was having a good time and that made her hard to watch.
    The problem with Nancy's commentating was that she really didn't have a good partner to feed off of. The guy she was commentating with really didn't go well with her. I think it's really important that there is a more experienced broadcaster/commentator to accompany the athlete and help them along. Like when Scott started commentating with Verne Lundquist. I think in the beginning, Scott really fed off of Verne before coming into his own. I bet that if Nancy were partnered with Peter Carruthers or Terry Gannon, she would have been much better. One thing I was really surprised at was how "old" Nancy's voice sounded. I couldn't tell who was speaking (b/c I downloaded Liberty) and I was wondering who the grandma was and when they started talking about Lillehammer and Jerry, then I got that it was Nancy Kerrigan.

Paul is an excellent commentator, as is Tracy Wilson and Suzie Wynne. My personal faves though are Peter Carruthers and Christopher Bowman. I wish they would hire Bowman again... he has a great voice and asks really sharp questions.

I really didn't like Bowman. I wonder about Paul Martini? I do like Tracy & Suzie. I think Scott screams too much. Really can't quite like Nancy's voice. I miss Dick. I thought he was good. I really learned a lot listening to him. I like Paul W. too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang
    The next generation of commentators are Paul Wylie, Peter Carruthers, etc - IMO. Out of all the skaters from the 80's and early 90's who I've seen commentate, I think Paul's the best. He's articulate, well-prepared and pleasant. I thought he was really good in the All-Access show.

I don't like Paul's commenting, though he is my favorate skater to watch in his pro competetion. He was talking to much during the skating or her sound? I'm not sure. As for Nancy, from couple of time I watched her do JWC, I like her. Objective, knowlegable, gave credit to where is due.

I agree the rest paragraphs.

Ice Angel
    I don't think that Nancy was objective commenting junior world. She kept saying good thing about American skaters even a couple of them obviously did not master the tricks, and magnified a couple of Asian skaters' artistry even they had very great jumping flow.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    I agree about Paul, mzheng. I loved him as a skater, but his world's commentating got on my nerves.
    I've actually grown to like Peter Carruthers more than I did originally. I doubt he would be considered for the Olympics though.

ETA ... I LOVE Tracy Wilson! She would be wonderful IMO.

Custom Title
    I have one concern with Paul Wylie: He was not actually at the GP competitions for which he did commentary. The competitions were taped and the commentary was dubbed in after the fact. He was able to make those trenchant observations because he had plenty of time to review the performances before he actually started commenting. We don't really know how good he would be commenting live or near-live (because Italy is 6-9 hours ahead, depending on where you live in the US, many parts of the skating would likely be shown on tape in prime time rather than live in the early morning).

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    I have one concern with Paul Wylie: He was not actually at the GP competitions for which he did commentary. The competitions were taped and the commentary was dubbed in after the fact. He was able to make those trenchant observations because he had plenty of time to review the performances before he actually started commenting. We don't really know how good he would be commenting live or near-live (because Italy is 6-9 hours ahead, depending on where you live in the US, many parts of the skating would likely be shown on tape in prime time rather than live in the early morning).
    Wow!!! Kind of like Milly Vanila.

Yeah, I don't think we will be getting the Last Six to Skate as a LIVE telecast. So whoever does the commentary can be sure what they are talking about. Unfortunately, they will agree with the judges scores which makes it less than objective. Hopefull we get reports from posters who see the skating in person or live on tv.

Aside: Just would like to see ALL the skaters' lutzes in slomo.

Joe

I doubt that the top figure skaters will be live. The time difference really prohibits it from happening since the networks will want to show the skating during primetime, which would be anywhere between 2AM and 6AM in Italy to show live on east coast of North America.

The only time I can recall live broadcasts has been when they are in North America for those of us who live on this continent.

I couldn't stand it. During Nagano, I had 2 people tell me who won before the broadcast.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6