Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sasha's LP music

Hybrid View

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever

Sasha's LP music

Her bio on the usfsa site has been updated with her music choices for this season.
    Dark Eyes for her SP
    &
    Romeo & Juliet for the LP (don't know if it's the same music she used for her exhibition or not)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/AthleteBio.asp?id=2265
    Last edited by nymkfan51; 08-22-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by nymkfan51
    Her bio on the usfsa site has been updated with her music choices for this season.
    Dark Eyes for her SP
    &
    Romeo & Juliet for the LP (don't know if it's same music she used for her exhibition or not)

I must say I was wishing for a more original choice, but am SO not surprised by a war horse. I did like her EX to R&J. Hope she has some over the top choreo - otherwise this could be a yawner. I hate to say that because I'd love to see Sasha do well. I just think it's past the time for her to stretch herself, even a little bit, on the music front. I hope this doesn't end up like the same LP as previous years, just with different tunes in the background.

OK - I know I'm being negative and skeptical, and I really WANT Sasha to have a great season. So now that the music mystery is solved, I'm going to shift my hopes to one or more 3/3's. Hate to say it, but that's probably as long of a shot as the hope for a more innovative music choice was.

DG

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    I must say I was wishing for a more original choice, but am SO not surprised by a war horse. I did like her EX to R&J. Hope she has some over the top choreo - otherwise this could be a yawner. I hate to say that because I'd love to see Sasha do well. I just think it's past the time for her to stretch herself, even a little bit, on the music front. I hope this doesn't end up like the same LP as previous years, just with different tunes in the background.

DG
    ITA with most of your points. Actually there was a rumor (I think) that this was her LP. This news would confirm that.

That said- Yes, I agree it looks to be another of those "blah" segments. Then again, I have not seen it yet so I will reserve full judgement until then.

I do not see her winning anything this year. At all. Of the Americans Kwan looks like she might have the edge (Yes, I know it's surprising, but that's what my gut is telling me). Forget about Nationals- she's already won!

Down With It
    To the ones disappointed with her music choice- one quick one. how do you know that the version she used for her EX is the same exact version that she will use for her new LP?

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    According to Tangerine_Dream's post on FSU, it's the same exact piece:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=27692&page=3

BTW, Jesslily obviously didn't do her homework before she made that comment.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa
    According to Tangerine_Dream's post on FSU, it's the same exact piece:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=27692&page=3
    Ah. Thanks. Of course, don't know how much credibility to give the inside reports, but I'll take it at face value. Now, at least I would have hoped she would have chosen another version of the song (if she was going to do it at all). After hearing it in so many exhibitions, and with her doing it again, this is likely to be a real snoozer. My snack break, so to speak. (She kind of already is, but this would make it a routine.)

And I agree with you MM- there are a lot more songs out there that have potential. But I can't help but wonder if doing a song she is familiar with would put her in that competition mood that will finally enable her to overcome those jitters that cause her to make costly errors during her FS (and even SP). Doing the same SP should help her too.

Nobody said it was Kwan's choice, a lot of people would doubt they were her choices, but the poster said Kwan had never skated to unknown music except for once, which most people know wasn't the case most of the time from 1995/1996-2000/2001. And of course nobody said Kwan had never done anything overused, etc. Most people will agree that she's been skating to warhorses since 2001/2002, but that had nothing to do with what the poster said.
    My response was not to the poster- I have just been wondering a little of this myself. I suppose it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    To the ones disappointed with her music choice- one quick one. how do you know that the version she used for her EX is the same exact version that she will use for her new LP?
    It doesn't matter. There are 10,000 songs that are not Romeo and Juliet, or Swan Lake, to choose from.

Now, post 2002 she's done nothing really original. Moves, music, everything included.
    All according to plan, all according to plan, heh, heh.

I can only speak for myself, but of course I have no way of knowing. I was trying to find something positive (for me) in this news, so that fact that I liked her R&J Ex was a positive thing to say!! Beyond that, I hope she can find some cuts (are there some we haven't heard 10,000 times?? Surely there must be..) and interesting choreo to somehow make the old warhorse look fresh and new.

I love to watch Sasha skate, so I hope she works it!

I think this is going to be a great season of watching how everyone's training and competitive strategies play out. The one thing that I found interesting in Sasha's last journal entry is that it sounded like she was not yet back to a full training regimine. From the sound of things, I get the impressing that MK and Shiz (and probably others too) might already be in full swing, or close to it. Of course these are all my own speculations based on LIMITED information that may or may not be true. I'm really looking forward to Campbell's!!

DG

Dark Eyes for her SP
    &
    Romeo & Juliet for the LP (don't know if it's same music she used for her exhibition or not)

She is being cautious. I don't think that is a good sign. Anyone know who is coaching the choreography or is there a new choreographer?

If she uses the Prokofiev R&J it would be stretch for her and to her credit. JMO.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    If she uses the Prokofiev R&J it would be stretch for her and to her credit. JMO.

Joe
    I remember really liking her R&J exhibition. What version of R&J was that?

And from what I've read elsewhere N. Morozov did the choreography, which will no doubt be tweaked by Nicks (amd maybe Sasha herself) along the way.

Dark Eyes for her SP
    &

I have to say I'm not exactly impressed either. I do find that Sasha's skating is impressive but using two pieces of music that she has used before? I would have thought she would take a step up and try something new for the Olympic season.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Sasha's exhibition was the Nino Rota movie version.

I have to say, I think she does much better with feisty music, or something with some attitude (like her Malaguena SP)
    Her R&J exhibition was lovely, full of lots of WOW moves, but I don't know how it will translate when she has to add 7 jumping passes.
    And Morosov is choreographing both her programs.

Medalist
    I am not too thrilled with the music selection although I love her R&J one of the best Sasha programs ever, but after hearing the same music 3 years in a row....Common....there must be something else. Michelle did use EOE several times but never never 3 years in a row! I hope it's the classical and not the soundtrack.

Sasha is playing it too safe but even if the music is familiar, it will be differently choreographed by a different choreographer. Can Morosov top TT's version? I doubt it plus there's more elements that must be crammed into the music. Sigh...Sigh...Sigh....

Custom Title
    From what I've read in the Sasha Cohen interview in Spotlight on Skating, Sasha is more interested in skating to comfortable pieces of music that she likes. She commented that even though Carmen has been used a lot, Carmen fires her up and she loves to skate to it.

Even though Sasha had skated to R&J, it was just an exhibition piece. The program will look quite different as a competition program.

I remember in a Tara interview that Tara chose the Rainbow because she could see herself having a great skate to it. I bet Sasha chooses music that she feels can lift her up when she competes.

Having seen both Dark Eyes programs, even though they are the same pieces of music, they were completely different.

Well, phooey, Sasha. I'm sure she will skate very pretty, but I wish she would have chosen something of substance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast