Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Results 121 to 131 of 131

Thread: Sasha's LP music

  1. #121
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,484
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    If Irina does a FS in Torino equal to what she did in Moscow, Sasha's flubbed jumps will keep her off the top step of the podium just as they did at Worlds 2005. I think the OGM will go to a complete skater. Fantastic spins but inconsistent, wonky jumps has won Sasha two World silvers but no golds. She is vulnerable to an exuberant clean performance by one or more skaters, including Irina, Shizuka, Michelle and Carolina.
    ITA with this. And mark my words- it's bound to happen.

  2. #122
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgirl
    But Michelle did not choose these pieces of music
    Lori was paid good $$$ for choosing those pieces. The point I was trying to make in my post to jesslily was that MK had skated to many original pieces and not "mostly skated to pieces used by other skaters" Actually Saint Saens Introduction and rondo capriccioso was used by others skaters after Michelle's 94 season, Rudy Galindo in 1999 and NNN in 2000

    .
    Forum talk..... Michelle also split with Lori because she didn't like skating to the music Lori chose.
    I never seen that forum talk, Mk broke ways with Lori prior to separating from Frank , and she stated that the frequent trips to Canada was taxing for her.

    that Michelle has gone with standards rather than avant garde music since taking over her artistic decisions.
    You have repeatedly said that MK has taken over her artistic decisions since she parted with Lori??? Forum talk again??? MK never said that, as far as I know, she continued to let her choreographers choose the music for her, with the exception of Bolero. AFAIK, Mk is not much into classical music like Sarah Hughes e.g., and she has always left the music choices to the experts

    prefer Lori's musical choices
    I gnerally prefer Lori's choices to her other choreographers choices

    but if Michelle is happier skating to "Tosca" than "Miraculous Mandarin,"
    Tosca was Morosov's choice and Miraculous Mandarin was Peter Oppergard's. I used to be a huge Puccini fan, but somehow fell out of love with his operas. Bartok is not exactly my favorite either. I am not sure whether MK was happier skating to Tosca or MM.

    I don't think skaters have to come up with their own music, afterall that is the job of the choreographers. Sometimes skaters have their input for sure. NNN at the young age of 13 insisted on Rach PC #3, and it worked for her. In 2000, NNN or her team came up with some of the most amazing combination for her lp. Mahler's Sturmisch bewegt (one of the most violent piece of music ever written), a film music called where eagles landed (full of suspense), then changed the mood to something more lyric Introduction and Capriccioso. Unfortunately she fell many times in the competition, I think if she delivered that clean, it would be her signature piece. I speculate NNN chose these. In 2000, Cohen chose Mendelssohn E minor, and whoever edited the piece did a very poor job, Mendelssohn was butchered Since then her music editors have done a better job
    Last edited by gezando; 08-29-2005 at 05:25 PM.

  3. #123
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    If Irina does a FS in Torino equal to what she did in Moscow, Sasha's flubbed jumps will keep her off the top step of the podium just as they did at Worlds 2005. I think the OGM will go to a complete skater. Fantastic spins but inconsistent, wonky jumps has won Sasha two World silvers but no golds. She is vulnerable to an exuberant clean performance by one or more skaters, including Irina, Shizuka, Michelle and Carolina.
    ITA! Along with Red Dog's response to your quote. Though I love Sasha and would thus want to see her win 06' OGM, I just don't see it happening. The others ladies (well at least Irina, Shizuka, & Michelle) seem to have a better history at pulling it together when a World or National title is within their grasp, Sasha has yet to do this.

  4. #124
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I don't think it matters who brought Michelle's music to the ice. She split with Lori and got Sheh, her first warhorse. However, the next season, whoever got the Aranjez for her - a non warhorse did the right thing. She and the music were stunning. Then came the dark and moody Tosca and then the repititive Bolero, both warhorses.

    It seems she's back on track this year. Let's hope so.

    As for Sasha. She is using strategy by using recurrent music but with different choreography. It may be best for her and let's hope so.

    Joe

  5. #125
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,484
    As for Sasha. She is using strategy by using recurrent music but with different choreography. It may be best for her and let's hope so.
    DIfferent choreography. Let's hope so- I've seen nothing different from this girl in a long time. She, like Kwan, has been using very similar moves since of late and I really haven't seen her try much else. The music doesn't matter. But the moves do. Let's see if she can set them apart.

  6. #126
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I don't think it matters who brought Michelle's music to the ice. She split with Lori and got Sheh, her first warhorse. However, the next season, whoever got the Aranjez for her - a non warhorse did the right thing. She and the music were stunning. Then came the dark and moody Tosca and then the repititive Bolero, both warhorses.

    It seems she's back on track this year. Let's hope so.

    As for Sasha. She is using strategy by using recurrent music but with different choreography. It may be best for her and let's hope so.

    Joe
    Just a question: didn't Lori choreograph Sheherazade (sp?) before they split? Also, who did choreo for Aranjuez (love that music, and Michelles seemed to too)?

    Someone said Morozov choreographed Tosca and picked that music: I remember Kwan saying in an interview that the season before her Tosca Irina skated to it and everytime Kwan heard it in the arena she loved it...made me think she picked it just 'cuz she liked it (and if mathman is right about ther plan to take it easy for 2-3 seasons, why the heck not skate to something you like hearing??); also, the choreo for Tosca (at least as presented to us by Kwan) was just about exactly the same as Aranjuez, so my question is: did Morosov really pick this music, do the choreo too?

    Bolero: yes a warhorse, but a risky and difficult one (and usually reserved for SP)...I still have this feeling that Kwan had a plan last year regarding Bolero that didn't pan out as she intended...but could be wrong. I would really love to know what Dean envisioned for this program (just to know, not to get in hyper criticize kwan mode)

    ETA...sorry, i forgot my point: so i'm not so sure if we have an on track versus offtack thing going on (off track would be using war horses, on track not)...i'm not so sure the narrative is so simple: she had her artistically challenging phase and her sell out to war horses phase. Something defininately happened in 01-02 season with Sheherazade and the Olympics (and reusing her Rach short program after a long run with EoE) though: was it she didn't push her self artistically, or that she just couldn't land triple triple and felt (correctly i think) that she had too, or something else (private/personal perhaps)?
    Last edited by emma; 08-30-2005 at 10:09 AM.

  7. #127
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,977
    Sarah Kawahara did Shez and in an internet interview implied that the program performed in the Olympics was not what she choreographed.

  8. #128
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Sarah Kawahara did Shez and in an internet interview implied that the program performed in the Olympics was not what she choreographed.
    Interesting and thanks (now i'm curious as to what Kawahara had envisioned for this program, and since i don't remember, did this program, like Bolero, change every time she performed it that season, or was it more or less the same from the first comp on?).

  9. #129
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by emma
    Interesting and thanks (now i'm curious as to what Kawahara had envisioned for this program, and since i don't remember, did this program, like Bolero, change every time she performed it that season, or was it more or less the same from the first comp on?).

    Aha , found the interview... it's a long one and further into it she said certain things were sacrificed in the program to fulfill technical demands .
    http://goldenskate.com/articles/2004/070304.shtml

  10. #130
    Go NJ Devils
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by emma
    Interesting and thanks (now i'm curious as to what Kawahara had envisioned for this program, and since i don't remember, did this program, like Bolero, change every time she performed it that season, or was it more or less the same from the first comp on?).
    Before she first performed the program, Kwan was quoted as saying something to the effect that she played a character in it, and not one that people would necessarily like.

    I thought this meant that she was going back to the Salome/Taj Mahal type program, away from the more abstract Lyra, but when I saw Sheherazade, I had to scratch my head at her description, because I thought it was flat with little character. It reminded me of the Tom Dubois character in Boondocks, who described his intention of becoming politically active as adding some expletives in his letters to Congress.

  11. #131
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Aha , found the interview... it's a long one and further into it she said certain things were sacrificed in the program to fulfill technical demands .
    http://goldenskate.com/articles/2004/070304.shtml
    thanks soogar...this is great...I'm only partially through it all, but very interesting!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •