Sasha's LP music | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha's LP music

euterpe

Medalist
I am disappointed but not surprised. I think Sasha could have made a big impression with the judges by skating to some really strong, dramatic music instead of the weepy romantic stuff she picks year after year. Swan Lake, Nutcracker, now Romeo & Juliet. Think of how pallid "Swan Lake" was next to Shizuka's dramatic "Turandot".

Because of competition nerves, Sasha tends to shrink into herself in the FS at major competitions instead of being bold and taking command of the ice. I've always thought that if she used stronger music, she'd make a bigger impression.

mzheng

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
I am disappointed but not surprised. I think Sasha could have made a big impression with the judges by skating to some really strong, dramatic music instead of the weepy romantic stuff she picks year after year. Swan Lake, Nutcracker, now Romeo & Juliet. Think of how pallid "Swan Lake" was next to Shizuka's dramatic "Turandot".

I have to disagree. With the fragil appearance I would think music R&J will carry her more than the strong/dramatic music. It just suit her imagine on ice. She is not a powerful skater, IMO, R&J suits her exquisite/elegant style.

soogar

Record Breaker
I wish Sasha kept Robin as her coach. Robin always made good music choices for Sarah.

millie

Medalist
Sasha and Nicks are playing their cards right. I think that with this music, she can make it her own and come out fighting, concentrating on what she had to do to win--that's what they are all trying to do. I think that no matter what music choice she selects, there are going to be people saying that she should have selected something better. Last season skaters selected music and at the beginning of the season people thought that because they chose such dramatic piece that they would conquer all, but they didn't. The same is happening this season.

Afte all is said and done, its not up to us, but the judges.

Let the skaters skate!
Let the fans watch!
Let the judges judge!

Let's hope that they all do well.
Happy skating!

clairecloutier

Final Flight
This is interesting. I've always loved the Nino Rota music for Romeo & Juliet, and I thought Sasha's exhibition to it was excellent. Although the subject matter of the movie is romantic, the music itself is actually highly dramatic, with many strong crescendos. I thought Sasha made brilliant use of her showstopping spirals to interpret that dramatic quality in the music. I personally feel that Sasha skates best to dramatic, passionate music. Sasha's personality is hard-edged and intense, and her skating is all about maximum impact, in terms of the positions she hits. Therefore, dramatic music suits her in my opinion. So in a way, I think this choice of music is excellent.

At the same time, we *have* been watching Sasha skate this number for the last 3 years. And, much as I like it, I have to admit even I've been growing bored with it.

I bet, though, that Sasha and Nicks are making a calculated guess that most of public watching the Olympics will *not* have seen this program before, because most people aren't skating fans and don't watch skating shows. So they may feel they can get away with using the music for this reason.

I would have preferred a more adventurous and fresher music choice. But it may still work out for Sasha.

Crizzy

Rinkside
But the public won't be judging, now will they? What I wonder is how will the judges react to this overplayed music? Sure Sasha and Morosov could make it more competitive but nothing beats the awesome moves Mami Tarasova brought to R&J.

I'm sure there are no deductions for using the same piece for 3 years in a row and now being the 4th year in row but the judges are humans and they were *probably* expecting something new. Shoot I would have rather have Sasha skate to My Fair Lady. I think that would have been an awesome LP. :rock:

luvsasha said:
well, I LIKE sasha's music and i think she could skate to anything, used or not. And besides, it's not up to us. It doesn't matter what we think about the music. I'm sooo sick of hearing people complain about skater's music choices. If you want to pick somebody's music, then become a skater yourself! but stop complaining about something you have no control over.

IMO, it doesn't matter if the music is used alot, because all skaters will skate it differently.
It's not unusual for fans to question the reuse of music by a skater. Many had a lot to say about Kwan, too. In fact, one judge marked Kwan down for reusing one of her tunes.

There is so little variety in music choices among figure skaters, that it is understandable for skaters to pick tried and true pieces a la Carmen, Don Q, and yes, R&J. The posters do not seem to me to be putting down Sasha for reusing her 'signature' piece. They are just surprised that she didn't go for a new tune.

This is probably the most difficult to win Oly in some time. It's not just between two top skaters, but a number of top skaters. Sasha is doing what she believes will be the best strategy, and I can only give her my best for the coming season.

Joe

millie

Medalist
Crizzy said:
But the public won't be judging, now will they? What I wonder is how will the judges react to this overplayed music? Sure Sasha and Morosov could make it more competitive but nothing beats the awesome moves Mami Tarasova brought to R&J.

I'm sure there are no deductions for using the same piece for 3 years in a row and now being the 4th year in row but the judges are humans and they were *probably* expecting something new. Shoot I would have rather have Sasha skate to My Fair Lady. I think that would have been an awesome LP. :rock:

I don't think the Olympic judges will be sitting back in their seat saying "Didn't she do that piece of music in her exhibition". I think they will be focusing on her exquisite moves, spins and jumps that she has planned for the upcoming season. No matter what Sasha skates to, it is going to be breathtaking. Probably Sasha should have had Dean to help her with her LP. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In a sense, Sasha's performances ARE breathtaking. I find myself holding my breath in preparation for that inevitable mistake. And it always, always comes.

I really would have preferred to see something different from Sasha for these Olympics. While she strikes pretty positions on the ice, at the major events she becomes so tense and inhibited that her performances are emotionally flat. Slow, romantic music won't elevate her performance to the level she needs to reach in order to win, especially if she's unable to skate completely clean.

Sasha needs to get into the same zone that Kwan does in her memorable winning performances. Only once have I seen Sasha truly in the zone, and that was at the Worlds 2004 SP where she skated to the fiery "Malaguena". Sorry, but dreamy R&J music isn't going to get Sasha there.

I think Euterpe has brought the objections to this music choice into focus with this remark:
euterpe said:
Because of competition nerves, Sasha tends to shrink into herself in the FS at major competitions instead of being bold and taking command of the ice. I've always thought that if she used stronger music, she'd make a bigger impression.
To me, it is not so much the R&J / Dark Eyes music itself that sounds an off-key note, but rather the suspicion that Sasha is backing into the season instead of seizing the day.

If she chose the music because she is comfortable with it, so that she can put the music aside and concentrate on not making mistakes on her elements -- that is not the mind-set you want when you go after a gold medal.

MM

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:
I think Euterpe has brought the objections to this music choice into focus with this remark:To me, it is not so much the R&J / Dark Eyes music itself that sounds an off-key note, but rather the suspicion that Sasha is backing into the season instead of seizing the day.

If she chose the music because she is comfortable with it, so that she can put the music aside and concentrate on not making mistakes on her elements -- that is not the mind-set you want when you go after a gold medal.

MM

Playing it safe! Isn't that what "some" skaters has been doing all along, either with the music or with the jumps. A skater can skate to the best piece of music ever orchestrated and still not have the level of jumps or COP to win. We can all spectulate and pick apart each skaters music choice, but in the end, only the skater knows whats good for them, be that it may, it goes for all the skaters--Michelle, Sasha, Irina and so forth.

I think that at this point in the pre skating season, that we all agree to disagree.
Like I said in a previous post, its not the piece of music that you pick, it's how you plan to skate to it. A skate can also have one of the best choreographer in the world and still not make it. Let's hope and pray that they all do their best.

Lucy25

Final Flight
millie said:
I don't think the Olympic judges will be sitting back in their seat saying "Didn't she do that piece of music in her exhibition". I think they will be focusing on her exquisite moves, spins and jumps that she has planned for the upcoming season. No matter what Sasha skates to, it is going to be breathtaking. Probably Sasha should have had Dean to help her with her LP. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Umm.. I wouldn't laugh so hard if I were you. One of the judges in SLC admitted to saying that S&P should not have won because they used an old program. It is not something that should happen, but it does.

millie

Medalist
Lucy25 said:
Umm.. I wouldn't laugh so hard if I were you. One of the judges in SLC admitted to saying that S&P should not have won because they used an old program. It is not something that should happen, but it does.

The main point is that they won the GOLD. :clap: :clap: :clap:

millie said:
Playing it safe! Isn't that what "some" skaters has been doing all along, either with the music or with the jumps.
That's what I'm saying, Millie. Take Michelle, for instance. By playing it safe she went from first to third to fourth in three years. Time to step up!

MM

jesslily

Final Flight
I think Sasha is fully realized that she might be marked down if she reuses R&J music. But I'm sure she has looked for a piece of suitable music for so long and has concluded that this is the piece. I guess her coach John Nicks and people who know her the best all approved. So if Sasha loves the music and feels it, she should interprete it much better than the so called original piece.
Michelle did use several original, but not many people really like them. Red Violin is so depressing. Manderin or something did not even last for the 2001 season. I agree that many music choice were not Michelle's idea and decision. They were Lori Nicole's.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think this is going to be a great season of watching how everyone's training and competitive strategies play out. The one thing that I found interesting in Sasha's last journal entry is that it sounded like she was not yet back to a full training regimine. From the sound of things, I get the impressing that MK and Shiz (and probably others too) might already be in full swing, or close to it. Of course these are all my own speculations based on LIMITED information that may or may not be true. I'm really looking forward to Campbell's!!

I get the same impression here. The thing here is that different skaters may have their own routines to get back into the swinging routine. I think that Cohen is taking the right approach (for HER). It's clear from the 2003 season that working hard throughout the year didn't work out for her- she burnt out early.

The posters do not seem to me to be putting down Sasha for reusing her 'signature' piece. They are just surprised that she didn't go for a new tune.

I agree that I don't think she is being put down, but I would not say surprised. A lot of people expected her to pick "tried and true" music. I would say there is generally disappointment mixed with a little frustration, and then some relief mixed in. Even though many of us hoped for something different, I won't hold it against her for picking this song. My impression is that people want to see her reach her so-called "potential" by picking various tunes that fit "her". Other skaters pick "warhorses" and I don't see posters jumping all over them (with the exception of maybe some of Kwan's recent choices). I say this from a more objective point of view. I personally don't dig the music she chose either.

The fact that Cohen doesn't (at least not out loud) make a big deal out of choosing these songs makes me think that she doesn't care. She still has a consistency issue to deal with, and this would (and should) make her feel as comfortable as possible. I say, "whatever."

I think Sasha is fully realized that she might be marked down if she reuses R&J music. But I'm sure she has looked for a piece of suitable music for so long and has concluded that this is the piece. I guess her coach John Nicks and people who know her the best all approved. So if Sasha loves the music and feels it, she should interprete it much better than the so called original piece.

I mostly agree. Now we might be getting somewhere...

jesslily said:
Michelle did use several original, but not many people really like them. Red Violin is so depressing. Manderin or something did not even last for the 2001 season. I agree that many music choice were not Michelle's idea and decision. They were Lori Nicole's.
Well, I think down the line these will be the programs that define Michelle's body of work and her legacy in figure skating -- more than the medals, IMHO. People hated the Magical Mandarin at the time -- horrors, it was something different! -- but now, several years later, many of those same people hail it as marking a period of growth for Michelle and a gem of a program in its own right.

As Luvsasha says above (post #38), Sasha can skate to anything. To me, that is quite true. I can't really tell the difference between the programs that she skates to this music or to that. (Hernando's Hideaway is a notable exception. :love: )

Just like Michelle after 2002. Turn off the sound and watch Michelle skate. Is it Aranjuez or Tosca? (Exception -- The Feeling Begins :love: )

In contrast, people criticized Irina's Tosca for too much head-grabbing literal characterization. But at least she was trying to skate to that piece of music.

I am one of the few people who liked Michelle's Bolero just fine. She didn't really deliver the goods, but she did, so it seems to me, capture the spirit of that dance form.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with skating to the great figure skating classics. Shen and Zhou gave a mesmerizing performance of Nessum Dorma at 2003 Worlds. It wasn't even a particularly original interpretation, IMO. But they used every note of the music superbly. All we can do is hope that we will be able to say the same thing about Sasha at the end of this season.

Mathman

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
That's what I'm saying, Millie. Take Michelle, for instance. By playing it safe she went from first to third to fourth in three years. Time to step up!

MM

Sasha is no Michelle, Sasha has yet to reach the top of the podium in majore competetion yet. Play it safe will do her no good. Like Plushine had said in one of her inter view that Jeff, Wired, Sandu etc. they played it safe while they are in current position which is not the top of podium yet.