Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sasha's LP music

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    I must say I was wishing for a more original choice, but am SO not surprised by a war horse. I did like her EX to R&J. Hope she has some over the top choreo - otherwise this could be a yawner. I hate to say that because I'd love to see Sasha do well. I just think it's past the time for her to stretch herself, even a little bit, on the music front. I hope this doesn't end up like the same LP as previous years, just with different tunes in the background.

DG
    ITA with most of your points. Actually there was a rumor (I think) that this was her LP. This news would confirm that.

That said- Yes, I agree it looks to be another of those "blah" segments. Then again, I have not seen it yet so I will reserve full judgement until then.

I do not see her winning anything this year. At all. Of the Americans Kwan looks like she might have the edge (Yes, I know it's surprising, but that's what my gut is telling me). Forget about Nationals- she's already won!

Quote Originally Posted by jesslily
    Did people really like her long program's music?
    Oh, yes indeed! It was the masterpiece of rarely heard twentieth century composer William Alwyn, his beloved harp concerto. The music that Lori Nichol said she wants to greet her when she arrives at the pearly gates.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesslily
    Michelle Kwan mostly skated to the music that other skaters used one or few years before except 1998.
    Oh, I don't think so at all. Who used Romanza for Guitar and Orchestra by Bacarisse, Orchestral Selections of Azerbaijan composer Fikrat Amirov (Taj Mahal), Rondo Capriccioso, Dream of Desdemona (Massenet), Dante's Prayer (Loreena McKennitt), Red Violin (violinist Joshua Bell), Ariane (Massenet), A day in the Life (Jeff Beck), Song of the Black Swan, or the Miraculus Mandarin?
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-22-2005 at 08:29 PM.

Down With It
    To the ones disappointed with her music choice- one quick one. how do you know that the version she used for her EX is the same exact version that she will use for her new LP?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Oh, yes indeed! It was the masterpiece of rarely heard twentieth century composer William Alwyn, his beloved harp concerto. The music that Lori Nichol said she wants to greet her when she arrives at the pearly gates. Who used Romanza for Guitar and Orchestra by Bacarisse, Orchestral Selections of Azerbaijan composer Fikrat Amirov (Taj Mahal), Rondo Capriccioso, Dream of Desdemona (Massenet), Dante's Prayer (Loreena McKennitt), Red Violin (violinist Joshua Bell), Ariane (Massenet), A day in the Life (Jeff Beck), Song of the Black Swan, or the Miraculus Mandarin?
    I wonder how much of that was actually Kwan's choice. I've been hearing a whole lot of things saying that those songs were her choreographer's choice (I could be wrong though). Now, post 2002 she's done nothing really original. Moves, music, everything included.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    According to Tangerine_Dream's post on FSU, it's the same exact piece:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=27692&page=3

BTW, Jesslily obviously didn't do her homework before she made that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    To the ones disappointed with her music choice- one quick one. how do you know that the version she used for her EX is the same exact version that she will use for her new LP?
    It doesn't matter. There are 10,000 songs that are not Romeo and Juliet, or Swan Lake, to choose from.

Now, post 2002 she's done nothing really original. Moves, music, everything included.
    All according to plan, all according to plan, heh, heh.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    I wonder how much of that was actually Kwan's choice. I've been hearing a whole lot of things saying that those songs were her choreographer's choice (I could be wrong though). Now, post 2002 she's done nothing really original. Moves, music, everything included.
    Nobody said it was Kwan's choice, a lot of people would doubt they were her choices, but the poster said Kwan had never skated to unknown music except for once, which most people know wasn't the case most of the time from 1995/1996-2000/2001. And of course nobody said Kwan had never done anything overused, etc. Most people will agree that she's been skating to warhorses since 2001/2002, but that had nothing to do with what the poster said.

And BTW, her short program in 1998, was to familiar music -- Rachmaninov's piano concertos 2 and 3. This was the program that Peggy Fleming called the most perfectly choreographed short program of all time.

MM

Custom Title

Great Choice...

I think it is a great choice for her and her exhibition was lovely. I am sure her LP will be quite a few levels up from that so I am not worried about being bored to death with it. The music plays to her strengths and suits her skating style.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa
    According to Tangerine_Dream's post on FSU, it's the same exact piece:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=27692&page=3
    Ah. Thanks. Of course, don't know how much credibility to give the inside reports, but I'll take it at face value. Now, at least I would have hoped she would have chosen another version of the song (if she was going to do it at all). After hearing it in so many exhibitions, and with her doing it again, this is likely to be a real snoozer. My snack break, so to speak. (She kind of already is, but this would make it a routine.)

And I agree with you MM- there are a lot more songs out there that have potential. But I can't help but wonder if doing a song she is familiar with would put her in that competition mood that will finally enable her to overcome those jitters that cause her to make costly errors during her FS (and even SP). Doing the same SP should help her too.

Nobody said it was Kwan's choice, a lot of people would doubt they were her choices, but the poster said Kwan had never skated to unknown music except for once, which most people know wasn't the case most of the time from 1995/1996-2000/2001. And of course nobody said Kwan had never done anything overused, etc. Most people will agree that she's been skating to warhorses since 2001/2002, but that had nothing to do with what the poster said.
    My response was not to the poster- I have just been wondering a little of this myself. I suppose it's true.

My response was not to the poster- I have just been wondering a little of this myself. I suppose it's true.
    I think you are quite right about this, Red Dog. Lori Nichol was the musical genius behind Michelle's program choices from 1995 to 2001. She has a huge library and was a master at fitting together little bits of music from dfferent sources to create what was really an original composition. Almost all of Michelle's programs from this period had more than one composer worked in. For instance Lyra Angelic has a little ditty from Satie's Gymnopedia #1. She could do this so seamlessly that you couldn't even tell where the cuts were.

I believe that on several occasions she had to sit Michelle down and make her listen to the music over and over until finally Michelle came to like it and to see it's potential. I think the Black Swan was the worst. Michelle fought that music for the whole season and just barely made her peace with it in time for Worlds.

This might have contributed to Michelle parting ways with Lori the next year. Michelle wanted to "take charge of her own skating." Part of that seemed to be, just grabbing Sheherezade or Tosca off the rack and there's your music.

I think this is a mistake on Michelle's part. Not being an expert in music herself, I don't know why she doesn't seek the advice of people who are.

Oh, well. She's still my girl.

Mathman

Down With It
    MM- I think you're definitely onto something. Still though, she performed many of those songs pretty well.

So for some odd reason I seem to think that Cohen gets more flack for choosing songs that have been used before (although there was also some backlash when Kwan chose Tosca). I could be wrong though- it just SEEMS that way. It's just annoying when I keep hearing "She could be the best ever" because if that was true she would be by now. To me, and maybe soon to reality, she'll always be the one who almost got there (1st place at a major comp) but never did. JMO.

Custom Title
    Sooooooooo, all we have to look "forward" to is a mirad of change of leg positions ?

But, the 'same-ol' will draw attention to the more creative skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Oh, yes indeed! It was the masterpiece of rarely heard twentieth century composer William Alwyn, his beloved harp concerto. The music that Lori Nichol said she wants to greet her when she arrives at the pearly gates.Oh, I don't think so at all. Who used Romanza for Guitar and Orchestra by Bacarisse, Orchestral Selections of Azerbaijan composer Fikrat Amirov (Taj Mahal), Rondo Capriccioso, Dream of Desdemona (Massenet), Dante's Prayer (Loreena McKennitt), Red Violin (violinist Joshua Bell), Ariane (Massenet), A day in the Life (Jeff Beck), Song of the Black Swan, or the Miraculus Mandarin?
    MM - If you can find photos of MK in all the different Wang dresses for each of those music pieces, you could make a fortune by making Coffee Table Book of Michelle Kwan.

Joe

Custom Title
    I would buy that book JoeSitz.

I agree I don't recall a skater who has used as many original pieces as Michelle once picked.

As for Sasha. It may be a smart choice she does better when reusing music. Maleguena was better the 2nd time around. It will be interesting to see how she reworks the choreography. Afterall it was originally choreographed by TT but she will have to include more jumps.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast