Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sasha's LP music

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    There is a report in MKF (the same poster) said SC landed a clean quad in her run through and she was hitting it about 75% in practice (said according to a coach at EW rink). Wow.

Sasha lands a lot of things in practice and when it comes to competition, she doesn't do it. According to other posters (I've never seen her practice), she lands everything in the practice sessions for competitions.

Down With It
    There is a report in MKF (the same poster) said SC landed a clean quad in her run through and she was hitting it about 75% in practice (said according to a coach at EW rink). Wow.
    How reliable is this source?

Anyway, let's assume for now that it is 100% true. 75% I'd say is still pretty shaky. that's 3 out of 4 tries, or 6 out of 8 when there's no pressure on. But what if you factor in all that? That number may plummet to 40%, and at that point you don't even think about taking that big plunge in competition.

HOWEVER- on the bright side, if she's looking to go somewhere with this I give her credit for trying. Really. Far too many skaters (including her I feel) have been conservative and sticking to the status quo. No one in recent Olympics has been able to win by playing it safe. No, not at all. Hopefully Kwan is also working on stepping it up. She'd better.

I have to revise my Olympic predictions.

Michelle:

2A = 3.3
    3Lz+3T+2Lo = 11.5
    3F = 5.5
    3S+ 3L = 9.5
    2A = 3.6
    3F+2T = 7.5
    3T =4.4

Total jump elements = 45.3

Irina:

3Lz+3Lo = 11.0
    3S+2Lo+2T = 7.3
    3Lo = 5.0
    3Lz+2Lo = 7.5
    3F = 6.1
    3T = 4.4
    2 =3.6

Total = 44.9

Sasha:

4S = 9.5
    3Lz+2T = 7.3
    3F+2T+2T = 8.1
    3Lo = 5.0
    3F = 5.5
    3T+3S (seq) = 7.5
    2A = 3.6

Total = 46.5

Down With It
    But, the more I read, and the more I think, the more skeptical I get. I really don't know about this quad thing. Didn't the same poster say MK was training 2 3-3's?

Plus, even if it's true, what's the likelihood that one of these will end up being attempted (much less landed) at a competition near you? I say slim to none.
    Last edited by R.D.; 08-23-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Master Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    But, the more I read, and the more I think, the more skeptical I get. I really don't know about this quad thing. Didn't the same poster say MK was training 2 3-3's?

Plus, even if it's true, what's the likelihood that one of these will end up being attempted (much less landed) at a competition near you? I say slim to none.
    Not to be too cynical, but I think you should be skeptical. If you go back through her journals, she writes on July 27th that she is basically working on conditioning and that she was not in full training yet. On August 15th she wrote that she was just beginning to put all the LP elements together. If she is already doing full run throughs with a landed quad, she ought to give the men some lessons because it would be incredible. This is no offense to Sasha, but rather the source that is posting this information. Maybe Sasha has been really secretive about training the quad. Maybe she has been training it all along, even after writing that she stopped training it (before Worlds). Possible? Maybe. Probable? I doubt it. It's possible she will mention quad practice in her next journal (which should be any time now), but until then I will just believe that she is getting in shape and trying to get her choreography down pat for the next season.

Down With It
    I think you're onto something here, and I agree with you. Part of me WANTS to believe this info about Cohen and Kwan, but it's the realist in me that's doubting the authenticity of these claims. JMO, of course.

Aside from the quad, the thing that has struck me the most forcefully about this thread on Sasha's music is that none of us has mentioned the program components, specifically "Interpretation" and "Choreography." As far as I can see from last season, Interpretation means land your jumps and Choreography means do a triple-triple.

According to the rule book, the judges are supposed to be giving out PCS marks (for singles) according to these criteria:

Interpretation

* Effortless movement in time to the music.

* Expression of the music's style, character and rhythm.

* Use of finesse to express the nuances of the music. (Note: "Finesse" is the skater's refined, artful manipulation of nuances. "Nuances" are the personal artistic ways of bringing subtle variations to the intensity, tempo and dynamics of the music made by the composer and/or musicians.

Choreography/composition, on the other hand is judged by:

* Purpose (idea, concept, vision)
    * Proportion (equal weights of parts)
    * Unity (purposeful threading
    * Utilization of personal and public space
    * Pattern and ice coverage
    * Phrasing and form (movements and parts structured to match the phrasing of the music)
    * Originality of purpose, movement and design

I am looking at the performances that received marks in these categories in the 8 to 9 range last year. To tell the truth, I think these considerations got lost in the shuffle.

Do you think that Sasha, or any other skater, is choosing music this year that will help them achieve "purposeful threading" and "nuanced dynamics" in their performances. Or is this just a bunch of hot air, and bring on the quads!?
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-24-2005 at 07:23 AM.

Down With It
    Or is this just a bunch of hot air, and bring on the quads!?
    Heck yeah!

Down With It
    It's been reported on another forum (and I confirmed this for myself) that Sasha's LP has been removed from the USFS website. Hmm...

Down With It
    Here's what I think:

I'm starting to think it really is her freeskate, but maybe the Cohen camp wanted to coordinate the announcement (i.e. it got "leaked" by the USFS). After all, usually she announces it in her journal first, then you see it on the USFS website. It just seems too odd to be otherwise. I don't think they would confuse her with another skater, lol.

Custom Title
    It's been reported on another forum (and I confirmed this for myself) that Sasha's LP has been removed from the USFS website. Hmm...
    Wow, another hack on USFSA? The girl is drama queen, remember the incident of last year her journal posted, removed from her website?

This got be an interesting season!

Master Procrastinator
    Here's what I think:

I'm starting to think it really is her freeskate, but maybe the Cohen camp wanted to coordinate the announcement (i.e. it got "leaked" by the USFS). After all, usually she announces it in her journal first, then you see it on the USFS website. It just seems too odd to be otherwise. I don't think they would confuse her with another skater, lol.
    I completely agree with you. I think they removed it because Sasha has yet to announce it on her website, which she likes to do first. Kind of silly to remove it now, though since the information has been known for over 24 hours. My guess is Sasha probably doesn't know how many people actually check this stuff. I mean, anyone who is interested in her music already knows it.

Her music has been confirmed by Tony Wheeler and posters on both FSU and her own forum. Or maybe she has read all the criticism of this choice and has decided to change it? (JUST KIDDING!!)

Down With It
    Wow, another hack on USFSA? The girl is drama queen, remember the incident of last year her journal posted, removed from her website?

This got be an interesting season!
    Was that a hack, or just a premature leak? I thought I saw her explaining later that she wanted to coordinate the announcement (or whatever it was). I'm not sure here.

BTW- a little quick to jump to a conclusion are we? I mean, it could be anything...

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    I completely agree with you. I think they removed it because Sasha has yet to announce it on her website, which she likes to do first. Kind of silly to remove it now, though since the information has been known for over 24 hours. My guess is Sasha probably doesn't know how many people actually check this stuff. I mean, anyone who is interested in her music already knows it.

Her music has been confirmed by Tony Wheeler and posters on both FSU and her own forum. Or maybe she has read all the criticism of this choice and has decided to change it? (JUST KIDDING!!)

ITA. It's entirely possible she doesn't know of these forums (and how much we speculate, how much inside info we have (he he), etc.) and maybe she wanted to "be the one to get it out first". Well, Sasha, too late. It's all over the skating forums now (even her own fan forum), and some supposedly "reliable" sources have confirmed this info. Anyway, why am I saying this? Like she's losing any sleep over this.

About the last comment- how funny would that be if it were TRUE?

Red Dog - News of Sasha really perks you up.

She did do the quad in her very first Skate America. She actually popped it into a one turn jump and if I remember correctly, fell. She then went on to fall on another jump. The program went down hill, but she was held up.

She managed a 3x3 in 2003 at Worlds (I think it was 2 footed). And that was the last of the high powered jumps for her.

Let's hope Nicks has got them back.

I don't think the removal of the listing of her LP music on USFSA is news shattering. I would not worry so much about Michelle, if I were Sasha. Her biggest competitor is in Russia.

Anyone taking risks and successfully fufils the element will be rewarded!!!

Joe

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast