Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has Plushenko peaked yet?

I get the feeling that most posters think one competition is where you peak and then it's downhill.

I think one goes through a Peak Period, and not just one competition. How long that period will last depends on the skater. Could be through 3 Olys but that's tough. I think Plush could do another Olys after Torino. He's truly an exceptional competitive skater. But that's up to him.

Joe

Custom Title
    well... i don't think so... however, his body probably won't hold up for long. seems that it just is in the first thros of a systematic breakdown... probably from not being willing to pace himself well throughout the season. plus, there's the distractions of his being a new husband and possible father now... just enough of a distraction to take that 'eye of the tiger' away...

I will make an early prediction for the Men's comp. IMO, if Plush shows up with one quad, and clean programs per the usual Plush, he walks away with Gold.

While his doctors might not recommend it, I will go out on a limb and speculate that if he has to, he will perform through a whole bunch of pain to do it. While Plush's style isn't my favorite, I think he has the mental and physical goods to take the gold if his knees, etc. will hold out JUST enough for him to get his job done.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Meantime - JOHNNY FOR PODIUM!!

DG

SkateFan4Life
    In my view, Plushenko peaked in 2001, and he was head and shoulders above the field that season. After Salt Lake, however, when he was expected to win Olympic gold and had to settle for silver, I think he's been having a rash of problems - diet, injury, training, etc. He used to own the ice, and I don't think that's the case any longer. When he enters a competition, it's not a given that he will emerge victorious. Next season will be interesting, to say the least.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    In my view, Plushenko peaked in 2001, and he was head and shoulders above the field that season. After Salt Lake, however, when he was expected to win Olympic gold and had to settle for silver, I think he's been having a rash of problems - diet, injury, training, etc. He used to own the ice, and I don't think that's the case any longer. When he enters a competition, it's not a given that he will emerge victorious. Next season will be interesting, to say the least.
    Until the most recent worlds Plushenko owned the ice, injury or not. An injured Plushenko was blowing away the field in 2004 and even 2005 until he entered worlds. Right now it looks like the rest of the field has caught up with him, but only because he did not win the last worlds. Since he is not going to enter the GP, we may not know until the Olympics, but my gut feeling is that unless he is severely injured, he will be the skater to beat for the gold.

Vash

Custom Title
    that competition what's a complete fiasco lambiel was lucky to win(even though he gave good performances,Buttle was even luckier and let's not mention lysacek. they all made the podium because plushy couldn't skate,brian had a horrible skate,and weir was injured. Things will get back to normal if they all skate well this season,after all they are the judges faves

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2