What music do you want skaters to use? | Golden Skate

What music do you want skaters to use?

~Rainbow~

Match Penalty
I want to see a graceful skater like Susanna Poykio or Shizuka Arakawa skate to a deep, dark, moody piece like Emiliana Torrini's "Dead Things.", Whenever I hear it I imagine one of those nights when there are some clouds surrounding the moon.. Don't ask why but this piece is just so beautiful and deep... I would love to see skaters choose moody pieces to skate to like something from Bjork, Dido, Majandra, Lorenna McKennit, Portishead, Enya etc.

My dream is to see someone skate to Bjork's "All is full of love.", that song is so beautiful I would die to it... it is the most beatiful piece of music ever... It moved me deep down in my soul and brought chills down my spine when I hear it. This is why I'd like so see someone like Susanna Poykio skate to it. I love Michelle Kwan and all, but I don't think she can pull of the feeling for this piece.

I have uploaded it so you can hear how beautfiful it is: http://rapidshare.de/files/4320158/01_-_All_Is_Full_Of_Love.mp3.html

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find it very strange that you make a point of saying Kwan wouldn't be capable of expressing the emotion in your suggested piece, since Kwan is noted for her ability to interpret music and convey her feelings to the audience. Susanna Poykio and Shizuka Arakawa are both lovely skaters, but neither is known for being a particularly emotive interpreter of music or for relating to the audience--in fact, commentators have noted the lack of audience connection for both skaters..

~Rainbow~

Match Penalty
It's just that is a very moody piece, atleast "Dead Things.". I just have seen Michelle Kwan skate to uplifting stuff, nothing dark. But she can do it...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kwan has skated to "Salome", "Black Swan" and "Tosca"--all dark dramatic pieces and not uplifting at all. She won her first World Championship with "Salome". She usually chooses uplifting pieces for her exhibitions.

R.D.

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Kwan has skated to "Salome", "Black Swan" and "Tosca"--all dark dramatic pieces and not uplifting at all. She won her first World Championship with "Salome". She usually chooses uplifting pieces for her exhibitions.

Usually she chooses slower, more emotional pieces. I believe it fits her style better than something dramatic.

I also think choosing "uplifting" pieces for her exhibition is a good choice for her. She seems to like taking the audience on a journey. She'd make an excellent show skater IMO.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Usually she chooses slower, more emotional pieces. I believe it fits her style better than something dramatic.

I tend to agree with this, for the most part. I personally thought "East of Eden" was one of Kwan's best programs. It really seemed to highlight all of her best qualities. However, we should not forget how well she performed to the very dark and very dramatic selections from "The Red Violin" at the 2000 Worlds. She also seemed to really feel "Tosca", IMO. But, typically, I think softer, more lyrical pieces are Kwan's forte.