Video Editing Software | Golden Skate

Video Editing Software

CDMM1991

Medalist
I want to make some skating montages with some of the skating videos I've downloaded from fsvids, and I'm looking for a good, FREE, program that's very beginner-friendly, nothing too fancy. And something that people have downloaded and know that it won't mess up my computer at all. Haha not sure if something with all of the above exists, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see if anybody has any ideas.

tracylynn

Rinkside
I don't know if you have Windows XP but if you do then you should have WMM (Windows Movie Maker). WMM is the program that I use and I will have to say that, at times, the computer freezes but I was told that's a common problem, but it doesn't hurt your computer. I think a lot of folks use program.

I have Vegas 6 but I have a hard time figuring it out. I did hear it was good but it's very expensive (about $400)

I heard Pennacle was a good program to use but I don't know anything about it.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CDMM1991, thanks for bringing up the subject. What I want to do is make menus for my skating comps, men's SP & LP, etc. I can do it on my DVD recorder but it's not at the beginning of the program, you have to go to the menu section and you have to use DVD RW disks to do it and they cost more. A friend of mine uses IMovie but she has a Mac and I don't know if that makes a difference and she can use DVD-R or +R.

Tracy, I have Movie Maker here at work but I just looked at it and didn't read any instructions. Can I make menu's on that? Can I use the DVD-R disks? I would appreciate any info you could give me about Movie Maker.

Thanks so much for bringing up the subject.

Dee

CDMM1991

Medalist
Right after I posted I discovered Windows Movie Maker on my computer and I love it. It's perfect for making montages. Though I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do Dee, I think it should work fine for you. Once you're in the program if you press F1 then that leads you to all the instructions and some very helpful information. It takes some research and experimentation, but it's a great program.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I am trying to do is make a menu at the beginning of my DVDs. It would be the same as your movie DVDs. You can choose what you want to watch, by clicking on a subject. I want to do the very same thing. When I start to play my DVD, I would like the option of watching the whole thing or going to the Men's SP or LP or ladies, pairs, dance. It makes it so much easier to find something or just to watch a portion of the DVD. I wondered if Movie Maker did the same thing? and also can I use a DVD-R to do it???

Dee

tracylynn

Rinkside
Dee, I'm not sue if you can with WMM. I don't have a DVD player on my computer so I really wouldn't know. Sorry for not being a bigger help.

Edited to add: I know what you're trying to say but I still don't know. If your computer is set up for DVDs it might be able to but I really don't know. I only have a CD-rom and I haven't used it to saved any of my videos to CD's. I guess I should try and see if a menu screen pops up.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm also not sure about Windows Movie Maker. I know I have Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7, which allows me to do all the cool stuff (menu's, etc., unfortunately I haven't had the time nor desire to play around with it). But with WMM you should at least be able to export to WIndows Media and archive your videos. Or, if you wish, export to DV and use another program to convert the video. That's what I do when I make videos on my computer now.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog, I don't mean to sound stupid but could you say what you're talking about in a more user friendly way??? What does DV mean?? is it Digital Video and your talking about video's right? Also, the program you talked about, is it expensive???

But with WMM you should at least be able to export to WIndows Media and archive your videos.
What do you mean???

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
A few points Dee to keep in mind:

- Yes, it is Digital Video, you know the video that you shoot with a digital camcorder. It is the name for uncompressed AVI video (a vid format).

- Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 came with my laptop. I would venture that it is around $70, so no, it is not cheap but if you are into audio and video recording and editing it's a great investment.

- WMM is short here for Windows Movie Maker, the video editing program that comes with XP.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But with WMM you should at least be able to export to WIndows Media and archive your videos.

I think I misunderstood your question before. I'll explain.

WMM has an "Export" feature that you can use if you wish to turn your video into a computer file. With WMM's export feature you get the option to export to AVI (DV) format, or a compressed Windows Media format (this turns the video into a .wmv file that can be played on Windows Media Player) for a smaller file with compromised video quality.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Red Dog, you are really helping. I guess where I got lost is with the WMM what are you making movies on or to: Is this program just for the computer? I have at work both cd/dvd drive and burner. What I understand is that the .wmv file you can view over the computer. What I want to do is view through my DVD at home. I actually would want to use it more for my skating DVDs. With both WMM and Roxio programs, are they just for the computer??? I guess this is where I am getting lost. I would want something to view over my DVD/VCR combo player at home. Can't I play the DVDs I have at work on my computer now???

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Thanks Red Dog, you are really helping. I guess where I got lost is with the WMM what are you making movies on or to: Is this program just for the computer? I have at work both cd/dvd drive and burner. What I understand is that the .wmv file you can view over the computer. What I want to do is view through my DVD at home. I actually would want to use it more for my skating DVDs. With both WMM and Roxio programs, are they just for the computer??? I guess this is where I am getting lost. I would want something to view over my DVD/VCR combo player at home. Can't I play the DVDs I have at work on my computer now???

Dee

I see what you are saying here. You want a DVD that you can pop in your DVD player, rather than one you need a computer to view. Alright, here's my take on it.

I'll try to keep it simple so you all understand. The type of format used for movie DVDs is "DVD-Video", and there are codes for different regions (continents). You can also make "data" DVDs, for more than 7x more storage than CD-Rs. The video format for movie DVDs is called MPEG-2.

I'm not too familiar with all the video editing programs out there (you will have to do some research) but I can give you basic background info.

I'm not familiar with WMM's ability to make DVDs (or if you can even do so) but I know that with Roxio's EMC program, there is what's called a DVD maker. This allows you to edit your video, break it into chapters, create menus, and burn "custom movie DVDs". What you have to look for is the option to burn to a "movie DVD format" (known as "DVD-Video"). Think about it this way; it's the same exact difference as a music CD and a data CD, except we're dealing with video here instead of audio. A music CD can be played in a CD player but a data CD can't (there are exceptions and complications to this but as I said, I will keep it simple).

As for your work DVDs, if they are in "DVD-Video" format, yes, they should play on most newer DVD players assuming you're using DVD-/+Rs and NOT DVD-/+RWs (which have restrictions). A way to test this is to pop the DVDs in your computer. If the DVD player program opens, then you should be set to go. If a menu comes up (assuming you have Windows XP) asking what to do with the disc, it's most likely a data disc.

Hope this helps- somewhat :laugh:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you Red Dog, you helped more than you know. I will do some research on the Roxio program, I don't think $70 is too much. I hope it does what I want it too.

Thanks for all your help. :clap: :clap:

Dee

tracylynn

Rinkside
Oh, I had totally forgot that I had Sonic Record Now program which can do what Dee wants. I need to upgrade it but I think I need to give it a try.

Thanks!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Glad I could help you. It always feels good. :yes:

Keep in mind that you should search for other programs as well. A standalone software DVD editor might be better for you, unless you want a software package (like Roxio's program) that has audio, video, and other cool stuff in one easy-to-use package. Not to say it's bad or anything. I think it's one of the best (if not the best) software editing utilities out there. But what's right for me may not be right for you. Just a word of warning.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
tracylynn said:
Oh, I had totally forgot that I had Sonic Record Now program which can do what Dee wants. I need to upgrade it but I think I need to give it a try.

Thanks!!
Tracylynn, I discovered I had Sonic Record on my computer too. Do you know if I can make the menus on it???

Dee

tracylynn

Rinkside
At the moment, I don't know because I have to upgrade mine, which I will be doing here soon, in order to do DVDs. I will say that from what I've read about the program you should be able to.