Golden West (LA) & Mid-Atlantics (NYC) club competitions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Golden West (LA) & Mid-Atlantics (NYC) club competitions

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Rohene was incredible!!! Opened up with an overrotated quad and fell on it. That's 4.25 turns in the air. Got up so fast, it looked like part of the routine. 5 triples including 3A and many combos. Some a bit sloppy but he landed them.
Layback combo spin that a lady would die to have. One handed bielman spiral into a triple lutz or flip.(probably flat.)

Does he qualify for Nationals?

Joe

Oh...do tell more, PLEASE! and does he qualify?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Mid-Atlantics is not a qualifying competition, it's just a club competition (which has been around for longer than the current qualifying system).

The qualifying season starts with regionals next month. Rohene competes out of the Upper Great Lakes region.

Sylvia has posted elsewhere the following list of senior men in the midwest regions. I'm sure she won't mind me copying it here:

SW--Braden Overett [has a bye through Southwesterns because he won Mids last year], Ryan Jahnke, Parker Pennington, Jeremy Abbott, Ryan Bradley, Daniel Lee, others?

EGL--Jordan Brauninger, Luke Capizzo, Ben Woolwine, RJ Westfall, Luke Mafazy, Scott Corbin? Joe Knazek? others?
[Wesley Campbell has reportedly switched to SC of NY/Easterns and is now listed in the Senior Men's thread in the Easterns forum.]

UGL--Rohene Ward, Joshua Fischel?, Tyler Ecklund?, others?

Top four from each region go on to Midwestern sectionals in November.

So it looks as though Rohene will automatically advance from regionals if there are fewer than four competitors. (Even if there are more than four, he would be very likely to place in the top four.)

At Midwestern sectionals, though, there will be quite a few strong senior men. Which four will move on to Nationals will depend on how they all skate that week.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Rohene Ward's Mid-Atlantics free skate on Sunday was pretty solid and seemed sharper than his short program performance on Saturday, in which he looked a little sluggish to me (following the superb and effortless-looking quad toe-triple toe combination at the beginning).

Ward's 6-minute warmup before the free skate was quite amazing to watch. He stroked around the rink once with great speed and power, and went right into an easy-looking double axel. He opened up and doubled a loop, fell out of a triple loop, landed a triple flip a little off-balance, did a back catch foot Biellmann spiral into a triple lutz, did a triple loop with ease, singled an axel, landed triple axel(hand down)-double toe loop with 1 arm overhead during the toe, then repeated the combo flawlessly, fell on his first quad toe loop attempt, and landed quad toe-double toe. Then, at the end, he whipped out a triple salchow and then a triple lutz with no virtually no set up. Wow!

In his Piazzola tango free skate, he fell on his opening quad toe, landed a beautiful, BIG triple axel-double toe with arm overhead like in the warmup, butterfly to back sit spin with free leg tucked under the spinning leg, triple flip from mohawk turn, triple toe with slight brush with free foot after landing, gorgeously stretched forward camel-back camel layover catch foot to back semi-layback, back Biellman spiral into triple lutz that turned out on one foot, double axel, reverse (CW) single axel to regular (CCW) triple salchow sequence but fell on the sal. His extended spiral sequence included a nice forward inside to outside change of edge and ended with a back Charlotte. He landed his final jump, triple loop, without much flow but, I found out later, it wasn't counted because his reverse axel-salchow wasn't credited as a sequence by the caller. His final elements were his trademark layback that changed to a sideways lean, straightline footwork that included a back split jump, and a final spin combo of camel-twisted sit-back sit(very low)-illusion-scratch. A decent performance for him, I thought.

Ward now has a month to train for Upper Great Lakes Regionals in Duluth, MN in October (exhibition for him because there are less than 4 senior men in his region), followed by the showdown in November at Midwestern Sectionals in Littleton, Colorado, where the top 4 senior men will advance to 2006 US Nationals.

emma said:
Oh...do tell more, PLEASE! and does he qualify?
He's always exciting even when he's off but he is often erratic.. Yesterday's free skate was the cleanest I've seen.

As per the two posts above, he has to qualify to go to Nationals. If he does and he skates clean, I see gold. But as I say, he is usually very erratic.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Sylvia...thanks for the details...that guy just takes my breath away...(do I dare say that i wish oh I wish he could just stand up??).

Sylvia

Record Breaker
You're welcome. Rohene Ward is truly an amazing talent. He performed his blues guitar short program in the Sunday exhibition (less than an hour after his FS) and landed a beautiful double axel [planned double, not triple] directly from a forward spiral and turns on one foot and his cantilever-turns-triple lutz -- both the jumps he had missed in the SP on Saturday.