Golden West (LA) & Mid-Atlantics (NYC) club competitions | Golden Skate

Golden West (LA) & Mid-Atlantics (NYC) club competitions

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Just thought I'd start a thread for these 2 upcoming club competitions.

Golden West -- Sept. 1-4 in Culver City, Calif. -- is considered the last major club competition before Regionals for the Southwest Pacific region skaters (there's al1so a large contingent of skaters coming from Colorado that includes Ryan Bradley and jr. champ Jeremy Abbott), plus the place where some of the elite skaters debut their new programs -- Inoue/Baldwin and Amber Corwin are scheduled, for example. I believe all but one of the senior men listed have competed at past U.S. Nationals. The Juvenile-Junior events should all be very competitive.

Competition schedule and registered skaters by level/group:
http://www.allyearfsc.com/events/index.html

If people from here can make it, please share results and reports/impressions here!

The Middle Atlantic Championships -- Sept. 15-18 in New York City -- is the last major club competition before Regionals for the North Atlantic region skaters and the competitors (listed alphabetically) and event schedule links are at the top of the Skating Club of NY's home page at:
http://www.thescny.org/

Rohene Ward is scheduled to come in from Minnesota to compete in the small senior men's event, along with Miguel Moyron from Mexico.

Joesitz and other NYC area fans -- hope you can make this! The Will Sears Memorial Fund exhibition (free admission, donations welcomed) will be on Sunday at 3 pm after the competition.

Thanks Sylvia - I have a few committments on two of those days but I will try to get to as much as possible. Is Rohene and Miguel really going to skate this? Hope so. Any other 'stars in waiting'?

Joe

JOHIO2

Medalist
sylvia,

thanx for the links and the reminders. i would have forgotten to look at all those local club competitions. guess that mean i need to go to usfsa and check out what's happening.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I saw this link and decided to check out the Golden West competition b/c it's ten minutes from my house. My first competition ever. I haven't seen much live skating ... COI once and another show or two when I was very little. Given that I'm not a season observer, I don't have a whole lot to say but one observation stood out.

I just watched the sr. ladies long. I wish I'd seen the sr. ladies short b/c Danielle Kahle skated the short. I'm under the assumption that since she's made it to nationals, she's a step above the other ladies competing. Although, I have nothing to base that on. I enjoyed the competition immensly, but the only skater that stood out in my mind was Felicia Beck. That girl sold her program. She moved well, her eye contact was incredible, and she had interesting choreography. I was thinking about her program, thinking that I enjoyed it the most, but didn't figure she had done all that well because her jumps were very weak. I just looked at the results on-line, and she got 3rd in the LP and third overall - up from 6th after the short - based solely on the PCS component. Her TES was low compared relatively, but the PCS compensated.

Like I said, I've never seen a competition. Also, I haven't paid enough attention to the post-6.0 scoring. So, maybe this is everyday stuff. I just thought it was interesting. I so want to see a higher level competition now.

mzheng

Record Breaker
The Golden West results are all posted. Strange enough, over all, Junior Lady has more points than Senior ones. And mostly higher on the TEC scores.....with CoP the FS evolves to Gymnastics? Or the two judge panels judged based on different standard(aka, quality)?

dr.frog

On the Ice
mzheng said:
The Golden West results are all posted. Strange enough, over all, Junior Lady has more points than Senior ones. And mostly higher on the TEC scores.....with CoP the FS evolves to Gymnastics? Or the two judge panels judged based on different standard(aka, quality)?

It isn't uncommon at club competitions and regionals to see better skating from novice and junior ladies than from the seniors. For one thing, the very best senior ladies hardly ever compete at these events. For another thing, a lot of the not-so-very-best senior ladies are skating at that level because they're too old to stay novice or junior any more, not because their skating is any better. Finally, even skaters who were good as novices and juniors often run into trouble as seniors when their bodies change and they start to put on weight.

gkelly

Record Breaker
tharrtell said:
I just watched the sr. ladies long. I wish I'd seen the sr. ladies short b/c Danielle Kahle skated the short. I'm under the assumption that since she's made it to nationals, she's a step above the other ladies competing.

Actually, I recognize the names of most of the other senior ladies who finished in the top half of the field as having made it to Nationals as seniors and/or in junior or novice. Being from the east coast myself, I haven't seen most of them skate though.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
It was posted on another forum that Amber Corwin reportedly wasn't feeling well and was getting ready for an international competition (Ondrej Nepela Memorial later this month), so she decided to withdraw from Golden West.

The overall senior ladies' winner at Golden West, Angie Lien from Minnesota, placed 15th in senior at 2005 Nationals (she can land a true 3lutz), while Shanell Noji (6th at GW) was 18th last year. Amy Evidente (2nd) qualified for Nationals in senior way back in 1998 and recently won the Collegiate Championships in Hawaii. Felicia Beck (3rd) competed in senior at 2004 Nationals and was the junior bronze medalist in 2002 (and, yes, she has always been known for her animated expression/presentation and choreography). Sandy Rucker (5th) is the 2005 junior champion and Erin Reed (7th) was the junior pewter (4th) medalist at 2004 Nationals.

In general, the deepest and most competitive fields at club competitions will be at the junior level and below -- you can often tell by the higher number of competitors entered and qualifying groups (i.e., Novice/Intermediate/Juvenile ladies at Golden West).

P.S. to tharrtell: If I had to pick just one event to watch, I would have recommended the Senior Men's FS over the Senior Ladies'. :)

Last edited:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Wow, I didn't realize the field had such a deep, competitive history. Aside from Felicia, none of the other ladies really grabbed me. Although, the winner's program was nice. When she began, I thought she was uncoordinated, but I became more impressed as the program continued.

Sylvia - I general, I am more a fan ladies skating, but after looking at the program once at the competition (and already having missed the sr. men), I realized that I recognized a lot of names. I've been wanting to see Dennis Phan skate for a few years now. I did, though, overhear some people talking and they made it sound like there was only one clean program in the sr. men's competition.

I hope to be there on Saturday evening and Sunday at Mid Atlantics. Will let you know if there are any budding Oly champions. ;)

Joe

gkelly

Record Breaker
Bumping to remind people in the NY area of the competition this weekend.

Last edited:
I dropped by the Mid Atlantics today late and saw some little tots double footing double jumps. A more advanced division, I saw one gal with major talent. I'm rushing down tomorrow, Rohene is scheduled to skate senior men.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
A more advanced division, I saw one gal with major talent.
Hey Joe, can you say who? :)

Free Skating Exhibition
Sunday, September 18 at 3PM
SkyRink, Chelsea Piers, Pier 62, New York City
The Will Sears Fund Exhibition of Champions from the 80th Annual Middle Atlantics will feature the Gold medalists in the Juvenile and above levels, along with special guests - including Morgan Matthews & Max Zavozin, the 2005 World Junior Dance Gold Medalists. The exhibition of champions is a benefit for the Will Sears Fund, which raises money to award prize money to the US National Junior Pairs Gold Medalists and all of the Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice and Junior Gold Medalists at Mids.

This fund was created in memory of Will, the 2002 Novice Pairs Champion who died suddenly in September 2002. While the Exhibition of Champions is open to the public at no charge, donations are gratefully accepted. Bracelets with the Will's personal slogan "Dare Greatly" will be sold all week during the competition and during the Exhibition, with all proceeds from the sale of the bracelet going to the Fund.
Hopefully Rohene Ward will also be performing in this exhibition, which is after the Senior Men's free skate on Sunday, scheduled for 1:55-2:15 pm.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Impossible to hear anything over that loudspeaker.
What level? (Junior, Novice, intermediate or below?)

I'm hoping to be at SkyRink from Saturday late afternoon to Sunday.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
It's been reported that Ashley Wagner (7th in novice at 2005 US Nationals, coached by Derrick Delmore's coach) landed 7 triples in the Junior Ladies FS last night at Mid-Atlantics, while Kaysi Kitsell (6th in novice at 2005 Nationals, coached by Robin Wagner) also skated very well -- these two FS performances could very likely end up being the highlights among the ladies, junior and senior, at this competition.

Unfortunately, I go tied up with personal affairs, but I hope to make it tonight for the Sr. Ladies and the Novice and Senior Pairs short.

Joe

There was one Pair that had potential to be in the Nats.

The Senior Ladies were not at their best. A weak field!

Rohene tomorrow!!!!

BTW, Sylvia, I understand that Mid Atlantics is not as high a level as regionals and sectionals but it is considered and important competition. Is that correct?

Joe

Rohene was incredible!!! Opened up with an overrotated quad and fell on it. That's 4.25 turns in the air. Got up so fast, it looked like part of the routine. 5 triples including 3A and many combos. Some a bit sloppy but he landed them.
Layback combo spin that a lady would die to have. One handed bielman spiral into a triple lutz or flip.(probably flat.)

Does he qualify for Nationals?

Joe