Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63

Thread: Programs by Dean

  1. #31
    Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,021
    Excellent point, Mathman!

  2. #32
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Dean might get mad if a skater changes his program. But remember, the skater hires the choreographer, not the other way around.
    True MM, but seriously, if a skater begins to change the choreographer's work to the point where it's not even recognizable, it sort of defeats the purpose of hiring the choreographer in the first place (IMO). If you know what works for you, why not do it yourself...?

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I liked the Campbell's version better, of the two. But it's kind of hard to tell because she performed it better at Campbell's than at the later Marshall's event. There's nothing like hitting all your jumps if you want to sell the choreography. Just ask the judges.
    ITA! Good choreography will help in a competition where no one is hitting all of their jumps cleanly (such as the Men's FS at Worlds), and it is critical if every one is clean, but choreography is not and cannot substitute for a clean program. Look at what happened to Arakawa and Rochette in the final FS at Worlds.

  4. #34
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,249
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnuva
    If you tell Dean to stick to the pro world.. AND we are talking about one of the top eligible skaters having problems to perform a Dean routine while several of "old" pros like Kristi or Kurt can do it, maybe that sheds a nicer light on the ability of pros compared to eligibles?
    Well, of course professionals are better than amateurs -- that's why they're professionals. It would be urealistic to expect any of the current competitors to be able to skate like Brian Boitano or Kurt Browning, certainly not with respect to choreography and musical interpretation. These are folks who were Olympic competitors and world champions years ago and went on from there to get really good, LOL.

    In fact, one of the factors that entice skaters to go pro is the opportunity to develop their artistic visions. The eligibles for the most part have all they can manage to stay upright for four or four and a half minutes.

    But that's why eligible skating is a sport.

    JMO.

    Mathman

  5. #35
    Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,415
    I've never really been a fan of Dean's choreography, even though I loved the way he skated with Jayne. I think he gets alot of credit for his choreography, because he skated to the genius program of Bolero, in Sarejevo. But it was TT's genius that put the choreography together for that program. That's JMO, take it or leave it.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Dean might get mad if a skater changes his program. But remember, the skater hires the choreographer, not the other way around.
    That's true. However, they didn't hesitate to use his name, so they should have used his work. At the very least, they should have made it clear that the program was not his original choreography.

  7. #37
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    95

    A/p

    I'm surprised Dean's work with Marina Anissina/Gwendal Peizerat hasn't been mentioned yet. I know for fact that their Carmina Burana was choreographed by Dean. (But wasn't Dean the one who choreographed Beethoven's last night FD, which most people hated?) I thought Carmina Burana FD showcased A/P's strengths -it showed them at their best. Their Worlds performance gave me chills.

  8. #38
    In the void
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by CzarinaAnya
    I've never really been a fan of Dean's choreography, even though I loved the way he skated with Jayne. I think he gets alot of credit for his choreography, because he skated to the genius program of Bolero, in Sarejevo. But it was TT's genius that put the choreography together for that program. That's JMO, take it or leave it.
    Are you kidding???? They did not have contact with Tarasova in that period at all. Did you smoke something today?

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBeth
    That's true. However, they didn't hesitate to use his name, so they should have used his work. At the very least, they should have made it clear that the program was not his original choreography.
    I'm not sure how many of them dose that. Make it clear that the program was not his choreographer's original choreography. AFAIK, most skaters and their coaches do some modification to the original choreography they were given. So far I diddn't hear any one go ahead saying where and where is not original choreographed.....

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    Dean did ['05 U.S. Jr. champ Jeremy] Abbott's SP to I'm A-Doun by Vanessa Mae.
    I've heard many good things about this program that Dean choreographed for Abbott (debuted at the Broadmoor Open in June). FYI, Jeremy is competing in the Senior Men's SP at Golden West tomorrow (Friday) around 3 pm -- for more info on this club comp. in LA go to:
    [url]http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10227[/url]

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    I'm not sure how many of them dose that. Make it clear that the program was not his choreographer's original choreography. AFAIK, most skaters and their coaches do some modification to the original choreography they were given. So far I diddn't hear any one go ahead saying where and where is not original choreographed.....
    Usually programs are tweaked and that is a commonplace occurance and to be expected. This program was gutted, but Dean's name was still being used.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBeth
    Usually programs are tweaked and that is a commonplace occurance and to be expected. This program was gutted, but Dean's name was still being used.
    Oh, I see. You saw the original one.

  13. #43
    In the void
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    Oh, I see. You saw the original one.
    Sigh. Doubt anybody except the inner team saw it. But if you saw ANY of Dean's program, it's not just a guess that Kwan left out most of the choreography.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    Oh, I see. You saw the original one.
    I used logic. Dean does intricate choreography. Kwan's program had zilch choreography. Therefore, Dean's choreography was not in Kwan's program. I can't say it any plainer than that.

  15. #45
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,249
    What's the fight about? Michelle used the part of Dean's choreography that she liked and reworked what she didn't like. This was consistent with her "lean, mean fighting machine" approach from 2003-2005, leaving behind the "angel floating on a cloud" choreography that marked some of her earlier work.

    Now we'll see whether she still has what it takes to put it all together in the Olympic season.

    Mathman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •