Katarina's Book | Golden Skate

Katarina's Book

soogar

Record Breaker
I'm surprised that this wasn't posted earlier but in IFS, there was a blurb that Katarina is releasing a book on October 15th (or something like that) that she collaberated on with E.M. Swift (the guy who did My Sergei). The format of the book appears to be exactly like the format of Nadia Comaneci's book , Letters to a Young Gymnast, where Katarina will answer the questions of a young skater (or composite of a young skater) and will deal with issues such as competiton and men and sex (I'm sure this skater must be older than 13 :cool: ).

There seems to be a lot of hope that a book by Kat can attract men as well as ladies to buy it (maybe if there were lots of photos). Either way, I'm looking forward to this book as Katarina has lived and experienced a lot in her career and personal life and doesn't seem to hold anything back. It should be a great read.

brad640

On the Ice
I will definitely read Katarina's book. I wish I could ask her some questions of my own, but those from the skater sound interesting.

October seems like good timing for her release. Sasha would have done better releasing her book nearer to the Olympics, but I guess she wouldn't have had time to do signings during the competitive season. I hope Katarina is planning a book tour.

Autobiorgaphies don't get to me. Do you actually think there will be anything in them that would not be complimentary? Some do, however, like Gelsey Kirkland's. Now, she had a lot to say.

Joe

jesslily

Final Flight
Gelsey Kirkland's is well written. I don't know how true of all the story. She was very talented, but she was not good at how to play politics in the company.

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
Autobiorgaphies don't get to me. Do you actually think there will be anything in them that would not be complimentary? Some do, however, like Gelsey Kirkland's. Now, she had a lot to say.

Joe

That was "Dancing on My Grave", correct? It was quite a book, full of interesting information and insights into the world of dance, relationships, etc.

Frankly, I just don't think the average figure skater has anything to say that merits purchasing a book. Without being critical, these girls live in a bubble, a world that exists only for their skating, training, competitions, etc. OK, skaters like Katarina Witt, who will soon be 40 and who has enjoyed a memorable competitive career, professional career, lived behind the Iron Curtain, etc., could have a lot to say that would pique my interest. But do I really want to buy a book that's all about Sasha Cohen's make-up, modeling assignments, and favorite foods? Please, give me a break. :rofl:

soogar

Record Breaker
Well I thoroughly enjoyed Martina Navratilova's autobiography and I guess you can make the argument that she's just a tennis player so what does she know... however her life is interesting. I think that people who achieve these levels of achievement make sacrifices and live lives that are totally different from the average person. It's a window into a different experience.

soogar said:
Well I thoroughly enjoyed Martina Navratilova's autobiography and I guess you can make the argument that she's just a tennis player so what does she know... however her life is interesting. I think that people who achieve these levels of achievement make sacrifices and live lives that are totally different from the average person. It's a window into a different experience.
Martina had an interesting life. She was by no means in a bubble.

S

SkateFan4Life

soogar said:

I read Martina's autobiography and enjoyed it. She, too, has led a very interesting life, quite unconventional in some aspects. She grew up behind the Iron Curtain, defected to the USA, won her first Wimbledon in 1978 over Chris Evert, and went on to win numerous Wimbledons and US Open titles. She's thoughtful, intelligent, and definitely has opinions.