Russian skating official shot | Golden Skate

Russian skating official shot

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, it is a pity that they had to include a picture of B & S. It wasn't their fault; why not use a picture of the victim?

S

SkateFan4Life

attyfan said:
IMO, it is a pity that they had to include a picture of B & S. It wasn't their fault; why not use a picture of the victim?

I agree! B & S had nothing to do with the Salt Lake judging scandal. A picture of the shooting victim should have been included, IMHO. He wasn't exactly a saint, but he certainly did not deserve to be murdered. UGH!!!!

Finally, we find Ms Le Gougne had someone to collude with. How anyone could think she did this all by herself was the most stupid form of a cover-up.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
It is disgusting that they showed a picture of B&S. The speculations and allegations which many people in this country believe to be the absolute truth were politics at its worst. To ruin the career of one of the best pairs was disgusting enough. Our media showed picture of B&S when Mr.T was jailed. It was never proven in the court that anything was fixed, and yet the references in these articles make it sound like it was proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. Now these people want their picture in a murder story, because pictures of celebrities help them sell.

B&S are truly cursed. No matter how well they skated in SLC, no matter how gracious they have been through all these years, they are considered criminals because of such articles. If B&S were Americans, they would have sued these people long ago.

Joe, you can believe what you want to believe. You have been a supporter of S&P for a long time so I am not surprised by your 'logic'.

I find it interesting that stories that sensationalize things and make references to SLC 2002 pairs (I refuse to use the word scandal because I believe B&S won fair and square) have already started resurfacing. It is only going to get worse. That means happy times for the anti's.

Vash

Last edited:

brad640

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
B&S are truly cursed. No matter how well they skated in SLC, no matter how gracious they have been through all these years, they are considered criminals because of such articles.
The scandal was hardly a curse for B&S. Anyone who has followed the story at all has seen that they are people of great integrity and heart. No other skaters have their picture in the mainstream news, so this can only help their careers.

Vash01 said:
Joe, you can believe what you want to believe. You have been a supporter of S&P for a long time so I am not surprised by your 'logic'.
Vash
I consider that accusation and insult. I have never said that S&P were the best team. I said they were the best that night. That's my opinion and I along with others have that right to an opinion.

What I would llike to know from you Vash - Why do you fixate on a misused photograph when the story is about the collusion by the Russian official with the French Federation?

I suppose you can believe that the French did this all by themselves. You are a strong believer that the Russians do no wrong. Am I correcct?

Joe

Miezekatze

Rinkside
He was not a skating official.

And not even that article claims he ever was one. People have an amazing talent to read what they expect to see or want to see :scratch:

OT, but there is a little blurb in the paper today that mentions that the U.S. won 34 medals in Salt Lake City. In winter Olympics held outside the United States, the most they ever won was 13. Look for Carolina Kostner on the podium in Torino.

Here is a different perspective, from a Russian newspaper. It says that Tokhtakhunov couldn't possibly have bribed Le Gougne because he does not speak French. Not only that, but Tokhtakhunov's character is vouched for by "...hockey player Pavel Bure, tennis player Yevgeny Kafelnikov, and the majority of Russian coaches and athletes, performers and musicians..." So I guess that settles that question.

The reporter refers to Yuri Balkov (aka Mr. Taptoe) as "the whipping boy of American and Canadian journalists." Poor guy.

BTW, this article is adorned by a picture, not of B&S, but of Anassina and Peiserat. I thought that was an interesting choice. What are they trying to imply?

The article identifies Chevalier Nusuyev as "an official sponsor of the Russian Figure Skating Federation."

http://english.mn.ru/english/issue.php?2002-30-3

Mathman

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
Anyone who has followed the story at all has seen that they are people of great integrity and heart..

ITA. It just too bad their glories have to be tinted like that. But in my mind they are always being a deserved pair OGM at SLC, and the only one.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
The reporter refers to Yuri Balkov (aka Mr. Taptoe) as "the whipping boy of American and Canadian journalists." Poor guy.

Did the Russian article refer to Balkov as Mr. Taptoe? Or is that Mathman mixing up two different scandals?

Balkov is a Ukrainian DANCE judge who was taped by Jean Senft apparently trying to predetermine results at the 1998 Olympics.

The toe-tapping incident took place at the 1999 Worlds PAIRS competition and involved Stanislav Babenko of Russia and Alfred Korytek, then representing Ukraine but now Israeli.

Most dance judges do not judge freestyle, or vice versa, at the international level.

vixen62025

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Here is a different perspective, from a Russian newspaper. It says that Tokhtakhunov couldn't possibly have bribed Le Gougne because he does not speak French. Not only that, but Tokhtakhunov's character is vouched for by "...hockey player Pavel Bure, tennis player Yevgeny Kafelnikov, and the majority of Russian coaches and athletes, performers and musicians..." So I guess that settles that question.

BTW, this article is adorned by a picture, not of B&S, but of Anassina and Peiserat. I thought that was an interesting choice. What are they trying to imply?

The article identifies Chevalier Nusuyev as "an official sponsor of the Russian Figure Skating Federation."

http://english.mn.ru/english/issue.php?2002-30-3

Mathman

What fascinates me is that this whole article is simply a rebuff of the skating scandal allegations rather than address the more timely issue of why the Russian Mafia would want to off Nusuyev.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
There was never an allegation that Tokhtakhunov ever contacted LeGougne directly. There was never an allegation of a bribe. There was a leaked transcript in which Tokhtahunov allegedly said he to Annisina's mother that the gold for her daughter was assured, but not the means. It was never proven that he was anything but a blowhard, since the FBI went after him for organized crime connections, which were dismissed by the Italian government, which had its own fish to fry.

mzheng said:
ITA. It just too bad their glories have to be tinted like that. But in my mind they are always being a deserved pair OGM at SLC, and the only one.
This has nothing to do with the issue. We have battered the BS and SP to death. This is about a murder which is skating related.

I believe there are fans who believe this whole thing was conspired by French only because the French loved the team and wanted to ensure that the team would win. Yeah..... No one else was involved in this collusion. Yeah......

Mathman - That article just played up the linguistics of the personalities involved. and avoiding anything substantive about the murder. And it was written in the flippant style to avoid bringing up that there was a collusiion in SLC.

Joe

Miezekatze said:
He was not a skating official.

And not even that article claims he ever was one. People have an amazing talent to read what they expect to see or want to see :scratch:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
For anyone wanting to see picture of victim: http://www.rambler.ru/db/megapolis/msg.html?place=news&mid=6482028

Here are some details of the killing - from rambler.ru news, not exact translation:
The assassination took place around midnight. According to witnesses, the businessman arrived here a bit earlier with two guards. Mr. Nusuev left a cafe and approached his car. At that moment a gray "Volga" with dark windows standing nearby took off. Once near the athlete, a man lowered a back window and started firing his semi-automatic. Out of 20 shots fired, five went into the businessman's chest and stomach. The car then left, and the heavily wounded Chevalier Nusuyev was taken to a hospital where he died soon afterward. The next day, police found the assissins' car with the weapon; there, the trail ends.

The article also says that there have been other attmpts on Mr. Nusuev's life, including one on January 31, 2001.

Joesitz said:
The Russian article says that Nusuyev organized the "Association for Children's sport" in Russia. It also mentions that Nusuyev would often sponsor specific Olympians, providing financial support both to athletes and to coaches. Nothing is mentioned about his ties to FS (other than the 2002 SLC scandal connection). In fact, his specific sports were Sambo and Judo.

Last edited:
My mistake on the toe-tapping, GKelly.

The article that I posted was not about this recent murder. It was an old one debunking the charges brought against Tokhtahunov last year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I really don't think that picture was a big deal.

Everybody already knows that said pair and S & P were involved in the scandal. That doesn't mean that they were responsible for the scandal happening (which could be the saddest part of it all) but they ARE involved. In a way, they are the "victims" of all this. Just like the victim of a crime as just as much involved in it as the perpetrator. So, using that reason, I see nothing wrong with the photograph they chose to use.

JMO.