God Bless New Orleans and Surrounding Area | Golden Skate

God Bless New Orleans and Surrounding Area

S

SkateFan4Life

My heart goes out to the people of New Orleans, Mississippi, Alabama, and other states who have suffered so severely from the ravages of Hurricane Katrina. God bless them all.

I had the privilege of attending a software user conference in New Orleans five years ago. It was a charming, beautiful city, full of historic buildings and warm, friendly people.

IMHO, this is the time for the American people to band together to assist these unfortunate victims. The US Government needs to step up the plate, big-time, to provide economic aid and any other help it can. Charity starts at home, folks, and Americans take care of their own!

heyang

Record Breaker
I, too, had a great time visiting this city. I wish I had explored it more because it will never be the same again.

I put my money to use and made a donation to the Red Cross 2005 Hurricane Relief fund.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I have been trying to get through to the Salvation Army all evening to no avail. I will try again tomorrow until I can make a contribution to help the survivors of America's tragedy. Small as it may be in the grand scheme of things, all of the survivors are in my prayers

gezando

Final Flight
Considering helping the students attending Tulane LSU etc, one way of helping is for your local universities, colleges, med schools, law schools, dental schools to admit some of these Louisana students to their programs so their education will not be interrupted

bigdorkydancer

Spectator
gezando said:
Considering helping the students attending Tulane LSU etc, one way of helping is for your local universities, colleges, med schools, law schools, dental schools to admit some of these Louisana students to their programs so their education will not be interrupted

The University of Houston is currently in talks with the Texas Board of Higher Education to accept students displaced by the hurricane and not charge them out-of-state tuition.

millie

Medalist
My heart goes out to these people whose lives have been turned upside down with this disater. This a time when everybody should pull together and help out.

There was another situation that brings to mind what these people are going through and what it means to help out these people. I live in a community in Newfoundland of about 5000 people. On September 11, our community doubled in population. When the air space in the U.S. was closed down, all these people were directed to the airport in my town. Everybody came together as one, the town came to a standstill. The schools were closed for a week and all those people were accomadated in the gyms and where ever there was a vacant room to put them. People took strangers into theie homes and gave them clothes and food. People who could not take these stranded passengers into their homes, brought food and clothes to the schools, Probably their are people out their reading this may know of someone who went through this at that time.

My point is that, no matter how big of how small, whatever you can do to help these people, everything that you do will be appreciated.

God Bless them all, and hope that they are all safe.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I lived in New Orleans for a year and a half and was there during Hurricane Andrew. My heart too goes out to those poor people who were stranded, especially as I could have been one of them. About 2 weeks earlier, my roommate took the car to drive back to Seattle to see her family, and the funny part is, I told her "Yeah, you're gonna take the damn car and a week later we're gonna get a hurricane roll through here and I'm gonna have no way to get out." As it turned out, Andrew started forming about 2 days after she left.

It just seems to strange to think of nearly that entire vibrant city flooded, and I know it will never be the same again. After all, part of the charm of New Orleans is the fact that most of the houses look like they haven't been painted in 40 years and I rather suspect there will be a lot of painting and rebuilding going on once things settle down, and it's going to take 40 years to get it back to its musty charm again.