Sun Valley / Sasha Article | Golden Skate

Sun Valley / Sasha Article

anniemg

Rinkside
Not too many things, especially on the music, but she does look great! The sound is not too clear but I think I heard a piano on R&J? Or is it my idea?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Welcome to Goldenskate Anniemg!! I couldn't hear enough of the music to figure anything out. (dang) I'm still hoping that someone who was there will provide their impressions.

MM - I thought she looked good too, from what little could be made out on the video. Last year at Campbell's, I thought Sasha looked a bit out of shape. Of course what I mean by that is I can only WISH to be that out of shape LOL! She looked to me like she's in better pre-season shape this year.

DG

emma

Record Breaker
Sasha seemed so at ease in that interview...really nice! And that Ina Bauer was absolutely beautiful....wow! (i couldn't hear the music either).

She's looking good!!! I think she will definitely give Irina a run for the gold. BTW. That dress which I think looked the best cut I've seen on her. Is it fuschia or some sort of pink or is my computer doing a number on me.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Doggygirl, great interview and Sasha looks beautiful.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
She's looking good!!! I think she will definitely give Irina a run for the gold. BTW. That dress which I think looked the best cut I've seen on her. Is it fuschia or some sort of pink or is my computer doing a number on me.

Joe

I'm a little more skeptical about that. I'll wait until the GP to even try to make any predictions. And even that won't mean anything. Sorry- still think others have a chance over her.

Yes- good interview, interesting footage of the show. I saw this already on another forum. Thanks for the link.

About the dress- looks like the same one she used last season, BTW. She should get a new one for this season IMO.

brad640

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
My favorite move from what little was in the video clip is a long held Ina Bauer.
That was my favorite, too, and I'm glad she's doing a split jump again. I don't know how much that will benefit her in terms of points, but her split jumps were great in 02 and I've missed seeing them.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Yeah, that Ina Bauer, she added new flavor in it. Looks more natural done than Arakawa's.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

I thought it was hard to tell, but I don't think Sasha introduced any new costumes. I think the Dark Eyes was same as last year, and the R&J was same as previous EX's. Given her seeming passion for fashion, I'm assuming we will see new costumes for both phases by the time the season starts. Especially on the SP (Dark Eyes) front, I'm hoping she capitalizes on the opportunity for improvement that IMO is going on there. :)

Through last season, Shiz has been my personal "place holder" for Favorite Current Ina Bauer. Minimal video quality aside, I would have to say that Sasha just took that place. LOL - I will forgive her 3 falls in the LP if she will ONLY include that caliber of Ina Bauer in the SP, LP or both for this season. :clap: :clap:

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's the same (re. the costume).

One the flip side of things, Cohen seems to have a direction and that's very important now. From her interview, sounds as if she has a plan and is going to stick to it. Let's see if it brings her any success. But let's remember that it is what happens in the heat of the moment that counts the most. From one perspective, no amount of preparation can guarantee anything here.

emma

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Through last season, Shiz has been my personal "place holder" for Favorite Current Ina Bauer. Minimal video quality aside, I would have to say that Sasha just took that place.

DG

I totally agree!

I didn't say it ealier because I imagined a bunch of beaver clever remarks, but I feel braver now and will just say, I loved also her spiral sequence with that slide move into the fan spiral (opposite, i think, of how she normally skates those elements)...I thought it looked super controled -yet easy, with flow, nice!

orchid

On the Ice
I will be the first to say IT. This is just an exhibition and she typically leaves the goods on the practice ice.

I too, will wait until the Gp begins.

I don't know. I have a feeling about Sasha this year. She seems to me to have matured quite a bit over the last two seasons. I don't see so much of the attitude, "I have to win at all costs." I think that was a large part of why her nerves often got the better of her in the past.

Now I think she understands that all a skater can do is skate his/her best, and that some things are beyond her control (such as someone else having the skate of a lifeime, or the peculiarities of the judges).

Speaking of judging, here is something I was thinking about, which might work in Sasha's favor in Torino. Navka and Kostomorov are a shoo-in for gold. With the injury to Hongbo Zhao, Totmianina and Marinin probably are, too. Also Plushenko, if his knees hold up.

Since it is probably not so good, public-relationwise, for the same country to win everything, and since the ladies skate last, this might work against Slutskaya in the case of a close contest between her and Sasha.

Plus, an "America's sweetheart" Olympic gold medalist, like Kristi Yamaguchi, Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Fleming, can be counted on to bring in a lot of money to the sport, which benefits everyone.

Mathman

R.D.

Record Breaker
Since it is probably not so good, public-relationwise, for the same country to win everything, and since the ladies skate last, this might work against Slutskaya in the case of a close contest between her and Sasha.

Hmm...you think so?

But, as you said, first it has to be close. And I don't think Cohen and Slutskaya are the only contenders. That's the main issue here.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It doesn't really get down to why she hasn't been able to pull it off in a major comp yet. To this day she still hasn't done so. One thing I did see though is that she fought through Worlds 05 with a determination that I've never seen from her before. So maybe in that respect there might be something in what you say. That said, it's not helping with the nerves in a big situation like this. Seriously, when was the last time a favorite won the Olympics?

Given Cohen's position right now, and the fact that the favorite since of late seems to fall time and time again to the underdog and/or the ambitious, it doesn't look all that good for her. Of course, anything can happen, but I'm going by history here. You could say the same for Slutskaya, too. (Kwan's position ironically is a little different this time around)

Cohen and Slutskaya have the advantage of having already competed in the Olympics. Will that help them? Maybe it might deal a little with the anxiety factor. Then again, maybe not.

Red Dog said:
Hmm...you think so?
Actually, no, I don't. I am probably the only figure skating fan on the planet who believes that 99% of the time the judges really do try to judge what they see, honestly and to the best of their abilities. I don't think any of these side currents matter much at all. May the best skater win!

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Actually, no, I don't. I am probably the only figure skating fan on the planet who believes that 99% of the time the judges really do try to judge what they see, honestly and to the best of their abilities. I don't think any of these side currents matter much at all. May the best skater win!

MM :)

And this is simply asking TOO much of a simple figure skating judge that's supposedly supposed to judge an event based on the SKATING- THAT NIGHT. :biggrin:

tarotx

On the Ice
No matter what Michelle will be a favorite-especially if she wins US nationals. Which is likely.