"Ice Castles" - the movie | Golden Skate

"Ice Castles" - the movie

S

SkateFan4Life

Do you remember the 1978 movie "Ice Castles", which paired Lynn-Holly Johnson and Robby Benson in a tearjerker romantic story bout "Lexie", a young skater from Iowa who came out of nowhere to become a would-be champion skater, and right after winning the Midwest Sectional title, lost her eyesight in a freak skating accident?

Lexie was noticed by a reknowned coach when she competed at the regional competition. The coach pursued her to her home and asked her if she would allow her to coach her. Lexie moved to Colorado Springs and quickly developed into a media darling and future champion.

I loved the soundtrack for the movie, especially Melissa Manchester's rendition of "In the Eyes of Love".

The story of a complete unknown rising to the fore intriques me. Does anyone out there think that such a scenario is possible in North America? We have the example of Oksana Baiul, who rose to a World title from out of nowhere (seemingly), but could that happen in Canada or the United States? Can you imagine the shock if a complete unknown came into US Nationals and won the title over Kwan, Cohen, and the rest?

I remember the movie well....it was way before I was into being a figure skating fan, but I loved it. I believe it was one of the first movies I watched when we got CABLE tv and HBO was offered as a part of the regular service.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I haven't seen that movie in looong time, and I wish whoever would show it.

Yes, it could happen, but I don't know about the Olympics. But, hey, you never know in skating,,,, :yes:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I find it unlikely that a skater would train long enough and hard enough to get to that level and never have even entered a regional competition before senior level, as was the case in the movie. Yeah, they were in an isolated area, Lexie was the only elite skater at that rink, her dad didn't want her to compete, etc., but the chances of someone who doesn't have the money or the interest in competing putting in all those years to develop those skills just seems farfetched, maybe more now than when figures were more important than triple jumps.

I do think it's possible that a skater who has never made it OUT of regionals before could have a breakthrough year after getting to seniors, get to nationals for the first time, and do well there, transfer to a more experienced coach at a training center, and be a contender for the senior title the following year, which was more or less Lexie's trajectory before her accident.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
gkelly said:
I find it unlikely that a skater would train long enough and hard enough to get to that level and never have even entered a regional competition before senior level, as was the case in the movie. Yeah, they were in an isolated area, Lexie was the only elite skater at that rink, her dad didn't want her to compete, etc., but the chances of someone who doesn't have the money or the interest in competing putting in all those years to develop those skills just seems farfetched, maybe more now than when figures were more important than triple jumps.

I do think it's possible that a skater who has never made it OUT of regionals before could have a breakthrough year after getting to seniors, get to nationals for the first time, and do well there, transfer to a more experienced coach at a training center, and be a contender for the senior title the following year, which was more or less Lexie's trajectory before her accident.

I think Caryn Kadavy pretty much lived this movie (except for freak accident). Carlo Fassi found her in a regional competition, and felt that if she didn't get the right coaching, she'd never go anywhere, and he felt that he owed it to skating to make sure she made it. He invited her to the Broadmoor, and she followed...and the rest is history.

Vash01

Medalist
thisthingcalledlove said:
I think Caryn Kadavy pretty much lived this movie (except for freak accident). Carlo Fassi found her in a regional competition, and felt that if she didn't get the right coaching, she'd never go anywhere, and he felt that he owed it to skating to make sure she made it. He invited her to the Broadmoor, and she followed...and the rest is history.

Caryn Kadavy was one of my favorite skaters- as amateur (those days) and pro. I think the character in this movie could be personified by Caryn's beautiful skating (except for the disability of the character). The movie was a bit mushy, but I did not mind it too much. BTW Rudy Galindo skated a wonderful exhibition to the theme from Ice Castles.

Vash

S

SkateFan4Life

gkelly said:

I think that the competition was Lexie was spotted by her future coach was an Upper Great Lakes Regional - or in any case - it was a competition within driving distance of her Iowa home. She then won the Midwestern Sectional championship, and in the process, defeated the then-defending National Champion. Sure, it was fantasy, but that's showbiz. I really would be shocked if a complete unknown skater rises to the fore next winter and defeats Michelle Kwan at Nationals!

S

SkateFan4Life

The soundtrack from "Ice Castles" was wonderful, and whenever a skater competes or skates an exhibition number to "In the Eyes of Love", it always brings a smile to my face.

treeskater

Rinkside
There have been very few good skating fiction movies but I must add "Champions: A Love Story" from 1979. I'd heard about it for years and it finally came on TV in May 1999. For me it was the most realistic of the 3 greats.

S

SkateFan4Life

treeskater said:
There have been very few good skating fiction movies but I must add "Champions: A Love Story" from 1979. I'd heard about it for years and it finally came on TV in May 1999. For me it was the most realistic of the 3 greats.

I remember that one - a story of a pair team. The mother of the woman skater insisted that her daughter's name be in front of her partner's name and that the pair would turn professional the year their national ranking did not improve from the previous year's ranking. The boy died, and the girl went on to a professional career as a singles skater.

It's been so many years since I've seen this movie. I have no idea who starred in it or the music that was played. Does anyone out there remember these details?

treeskater

Rinkside
Spurred by the memory of 'Champions..' I internet searched for the details and then watched my tape of it last evening - a needed break from all the distressing news on TV.

It was a Warner Bros. Television production for CBS Television, so it was not in traditional theaters.

The cast included Shirley Knight as the Mother from Hell, Tony LoBianco the coach (very good), Jimmy McNichol the male skater (and brother of Kristy McNichol), Joy LeDuc the female skater, Jennifer Warren her mother.

I have no idea who did the actual skating - perhaps my NYC friend might know, I'll have to give him a call..... I did look through my 1979 section of Skating magazine but no mention is made of the movie or skaters partaking. But while I looked at the mags, I was reminded (as well as noted in the movie) of the simplicity of the skating costumes yet they emphasized the wonderful lines that can be found in good skating.

Ironically, there was an advert in Skating to watch for the forthcoming movie 'Ice Castles.' My goodness, was it that long ago?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
What I always remember -- and love -- about "Ice Castles" was Lexie's roommate at the Broadmoor who NEVER shut up.... And was giving her the lowdown on the other girls in the rink and said about one "Twenty minutes on how I found someone to sharpen my skates -- THEN she runs out of interesting conversation." :laugh: :laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

treeskater said:
Spurred by the memory of 'Champions..' I internet searched for the details and then watched my tape of it last evening - a needed break from all the distressing news on TV.

It was a Warner Bros. Television production for CBS Television, so it was not in traditional theaters.

The cast included Shirley Knight as the Mother from Hell, Tony LoBianco the coach (very good), Jimmy McNichol the male skater (and brother of Kristy McNichol), Joy LeDuc the female skater, Jennifer Warren her mother.

I have no idea who did the actual skating - perhaps my NYC friend might know, I'll have to give him a call..... I did look through my 1979 section of Skating magazine but no mention is made of the movie or skaters partaking. But while I looked at the mags, I was reminded (as well as noted in the movie) of the simplicity of the skating costumes yet they emphasized the wonderful lines that can be found in good skating.

Ironically, there was an advert in Skating to watch for the forthcoming movie 'Ice Castles.' My goodness, was it that long ago?

Thanks for the details! And yes, it was aired a long time ago - in the late 1970's.

S

SkateFan4Life

JonnyCoop said:
What I always remember -- and love -- about "Ice Castles" was Lexie's roommate at the Broadmoor who NEVER shut up.... And was giving her the lowdown on the other girls in the rink and said about one "Twenty minutes on how I found someone to sharpen my skates -- THEN she runs out of interesting conversation." :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, she was a cutie, all right. Funny, bright, and she certainly did give Lexie the lowdown on the other girls who trained at the Broadmoor. Kind of gave you the idea that these girls weren't exactly the type you would want for friends, etc.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
I remember that one - a story of a pair team. The mother of the woman skater insisted that her daughter's name be in front of her partner's name and that the pair would turn professional the year their national ranking did not improve from the previous year's ranking. The boy died, and the girl went on to a professional career as a singles skater.

I remember watching this on TV; it was the first I ever heard about the 1961 plane crash; after the boy died, I remember a scene where the coach told the girl about the whole US team dying in that crash. This is, however, about the only scene I remember, except I do also remember Jimmy McNicol being in it. This may have been about the only other thing he did besides a year or two on "General Hospital"...

S

SkateFan4Life

JonnyCoop said:
I remember watching this on TV; it was the first I ever heard about the 1961 plane crash; after the boy died, I remember a scene where the coach told the girl about the whole US team dying in that crash. This is, however, about the only scene I remember, except I do also remember Jimmy McNicol being in it. This may have been about the only other thing he did besides a year or two on "General Hospital"...

Yes, the mother was the prototype aggressive, pushy, skating mom from Hades.