Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A possible Lang and Tchernichev comeback?

News A possible Lang and Tchernichev comeback?

L/T are thinking about coming back according to the news at the blades on ice website. This would be so cool because I think they would do great under the new system and would definately lock in a spot at the Olympics! What do you think? Is there anymore news on this subject?

Arianne

Well, they won't have a citizenship problem. They will have to work very hard to gain back what they have lost, and then produce some good original and free dances.

If it happens, I hope Peter will not put too much Russian schtik into their routines. Russians do their own thing best and Peter is American and should think Astaire or Kelly.

Joe

Here's the article. Scroll down tom the third story.

http://www.bladesonice.com/mag/blaweb1.htm

I don't think there is anything to it. Although this is a "July 1 news update," usually these interviews are quite a bit older than their publication date. Neither Naomi nor Peter is listed (or even searchable) on the USFS web site. It just seems like some vague "maybe" comments by Peter.

OT -- The article also mentions that Naomi and Besedin broke up, after the birth of their daughter.

Mathman

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I would not put too much store into this happening; comebacks in skating are rare and in ice dance, if too much time is lost between practices it takes a lot of work to get back into shape as a team. Naomi also has a child now to look after. I am sure her schedule is full.

Custom Title
    Drobiasko/Vanagas and Fusar-Poli/Margaglio are returning and will skate in the Olympics, so it's not all that rare.

On the Ice
    Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of an announcement from Naomi about this? Well, from what Peter says “Naomi and I started skating together but not so much lately. I'm not certain what will happen.” it doesn't sound like they are training. I would love to see them skating again

Ice Angel
    It's hard for Peter and Naomi to get back to even where they were. D/V are husband and wife and they always skate together, and F-P/M did not really break up the partnership. But anything can happen if they work very hard and have the great training facility including a coaching team who dedicate their full energy to them.

On the Ice
    I miss their chemistry and hope that they can get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    Drobiasko/Vanagas and Fusar-Poli/Margaglio are returning and will skate in the Olympics, so it's not all that rare.
    Looking forward to D&V and F&P/M very much. With all these different nationalities going to Torino, DEALS, DEALS, DEALS.

Joe

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Looking forward to D&V and F&P/M very much. With all these different nationalities going to Torino, DEALS, DEALS, DEALS.

Joe
    I don't think the old guards will hold up against the new wave of dancers. FusarPoli/Margaglio were kinda lucky in the last Olympics...and Drobiazko/Vanagas seem to fall out of favour with the judges once they started voicing their opinion.

I don't think they're going to challenge the top couples of today.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Katya
    Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of an announcement from Naomi about this? Well, from what Peter says “Naomi and I started skating together but not so much lately. I'm not certain what will happen.” it doesn't sound like they are training. I would love to see them skating again
    That statement from Peter was given during the weekend of the adult skating camp that took place back in June. Peter said he was the one who told USFS that L&T were interested in returning; that was why we originally saw L&T's names on the Skate America roster. It wasn't USFS jumping the gun as some originally thought.

I'm guessing that it's Naomi who still is not interested in competing on the eligible circuit again. That isn't a criticism; even before she had Lillia to consider she seemed to have lost interest and now that she is a single mom I would imagine it would be even more difficult to get back into competition.

However, if Peter gets Naomi to change her mind and skate competitively as he did in the summer of 2003, they still have time to do Nationals even though it seems they will for sure miss the GP events.

Thisthingcalledlove, D&V were undermarked (one of the teams whom I do agree were undermarked) even before they said anything to the press. 1997 Worlds & 1999 GPF & Worlds come to mind.

It would be nice to see Peter skate one last time; even though he has competed in one Olympics and L&T probably would have a hard time medaling he really seemed to have his heart set on going to Turin.

It's true that Peter is an American citizen now but he will also always be Russian as well. L&T would do well with a Fred Astaire type FD but I think they could also handle a little Russian style drama.
    Last edited by Dyan; 07-24-2005 at 09:38 PM.

I would be beyond thrilled if Naomi and Peter made a comeback. US ice dancing just hasn't been the same without them. Unfortunately I don't see it happening right now and even if they did B/A and the USFS's golden children and I can't see L/T getting the support they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyan
    It's true that Peter is an American citizen now but he will also always be Russian as well. L&T would do well with a Fred Astaire type FD but I think they could also handle a little Russian style drama.
    Dyan - I liked your giving the background on this topic. thank you.

Your remarks about Peter always being Russian is well taken by me. IMO, Americans are very much concerned about their national backgrounds and cultural ties will prevail. What happens if he becomes a judge?

Joe

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    If they had a comeback, I would be happy.

Dee

I'll believe it when I see it - meaning when they get through the entire Nationals competition.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast