Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Photo of Karen Magnussen with Olympic Medal

  1. #1
    SkateFan4Life
    Guest

    Photo of Karen Magnussen with Olympic Medal

    Here's a link to a photo of Canadian Karen Magnussen wearing the Olympic silver she won at Sapporo in 1972.

    I always liked the way she wore the maple leaf in her costumes - very Canadian and flag-waving to boot!

    http://www.collectionscanada.ca/spor...7050601_e.html

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    769
    The girl could skate. As much as I love Janet Lynn's skating, I never thought she deserved the Gold medal over Magnussen. IMO, Magnussen was the best all-around skater of her day.

    This is the only clip I have of her. Since so many people have never seen her at all, I'd like to share it here.

    Mods, if this is against the rules, would you please delete this and accept my apologies? Thanks!

    Karen Magnussen 1973 Worlds SP
    http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...G0K5OAECD62E16

    My thanks to the original uploader whoever he/she may be.

  3. #3
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Never saw this pretty gal skate and I heard she was a terrific skater, but then I never saw Janet skate either except in some newsreel clips.

    Joe

  4. #4
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,697
    I had the pleasure of seeing Karen skate many times live and up close and personal. Of course, Karen hails from my neck of the woods here in BC. Karen was inspiring when she skated. Her programs were packed with powerful jumps and graceful moves. There was something special about her. She personified what figure skating was about in her day. To me Karen was the Michelle Kwan of figure skating in her day. Karen was an all around athlete and skater.

    Today, Karen teaches skating in her home town of North Vancouver. It must be thrilling to be one of her pupils. I know I would be thrilled.

    Thanks for the post.

  5. #5
    TriGirl Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    380
    Thanks for the video clip. I'm no expert, but it seems like her edges were wonderful. An example of why figures should never have been eliminated?

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    769
    I am inclined to believe the "triples mean success no matter what" philosophy hurt basic skating skills at least as much as stopping figures. Skaters tend to focus on what will pay off for them in competition. For several seasons, Bonaly had almost nothing besides jumps and she did very well. She couldn't win like that, but she came way too close.

  7. #7
    SkateFan4Life
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Never saw this pretty gal skate and I heard she was a terrific skater, but then I never saw Janet skate either except in some newsreel clips.

    Joe
    I only saw Karen Magnussen on television, and I was very impressed with her skating and personality. The lady clearly loved to skate, and she looked as though she was having the time of her life out there on the ice. She deserved the World title in 1973, as she was the best all-around skater at that time.

  8. #8
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBeth
    The girl could skate. As much as I love Janet Lynn's skating, I never thought she deserved the Gold medal over Magnussen. IMO, Magnussen was the best all-around skater of her day.

    This is the only clip I have of her. Since so many people have never seen her at all, I'd like to share it here.

    Mods, if this is against the rules, would you please delete this and accept my apologies? Thanks!

    Karen Magnussen 1973 Worlds SP
    http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...G0K5OAECD62E16

    My thanks to the original uploader whoever he/she may be.
    Thanks!!! Reliving old memories is great!


  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    769
    Ladskater- Something tells me you are a Major Magnussen fan (and with excellent reason ) What was her pro career like? I know she participated in a pro competition in the early 80's. Other that that, I haven't seen much of her.

    Wouldn't it be great if there were a Canadian "Howard Craker"! (He was the fan who taped US Nationals year after year.) I would love to have more videos of Karen.

  10. #10
    SkateFan4Life
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBeth
    Ladskater- Something tells me you are a Major Magnussen fan (and with excellent reason ) What was her pro career like? I know she participated in a pro competition in the early 80's. Other that that, I haven't seen much of her.

    Wouldn't it be great if there were a Canadian "Howard Craker"! (He was the fan who taped US Nationals year after year.) I would love to have more videos of Karen.
    Ladskater, you certainly come across as not only a "Major Magnussen fan" but also as a "Major Canadian figure skating fan". And rightly so! You have much to be proud of - Barbara Ann Scott, Barbara Wagner/Robert Paul, Donald Jackson, Maria & Otto Jelinek, Donald McPhearson, Petra Burka, Karen Magnusen, Elizabeth Manley, Brian Orser, Brian Pockar, Elvis Stokjo, Kurt Browning, Tracey Wilson/Robert McCall, and many, many more. Great skaters, all!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •