Las Vegas Revue | Golden Skate

Las Vegas Revue

S

SkateFan4Life

Las Vegas Revue - Thoughts on Figure Skating Costumes

Call me old-fashioned, but I absolutely cannot stand some of the garrish, over-the-top costumes that are worn by some of the ice dance teams, pairs teams, and singles skaters. :scowl:

Some of these talented skaters seem to think that their skating doesn't sufficiently speak for themselves, so they come out in costumes that seem more suited to The Sands of Las Vegas than to a figure skating arena.

Anissina/Peizerat and Lobacheva/Averbukh typically wear costumes that scream for attention. Sometimes their outfits resemble rags, with all of the loose, "extra" fabric. I find these costumes extremely distracting, and I find that I spend more time looking at the clothes than at the skating.

I don't know who Irina Slutskaya's costume designer is, but all I can say is, "Yuk!" Ugly, garish costumes.

I would love to see skaters come out on the ice wearing modest,
athletic-looking outfits that give credence to the fact that figure skating is a SPORT, not a Las Vegas revue. Sure, wear those flashy costumes for the exhibition numbers, but PLEASE keep it simple and tasteful for the competitions!

Also, I was under the impression that the ISU had mandated that a deduction was to be given on the presentation mark for "inappropriate" costumes. How many times have we seen women go out there with costumes that show cleavage and part of their fanny? I remember seeing a few of the men wearing jumpsuits with the top open widely all the way to the waist. How many times in the past did we have to look the other way when Maria Butraskaya skated, because I did not want to watch her "free fanny show"? Good grief, COVER IT UP!!

Just my two cents.....what do you all think?

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Nobody out there has an opinion on this subject? I'm sure at least a few of you do. Granted, costumes are a personal taste, but there's a point where good taste needs to be factored in before calling in the seamstress. :biggrin: