Blades on Ice Update for September | Golden Skate

Blades on Ice Update for September

LBC

On the Ice
It does seem they only go to the east coast. Did I read it right that Tarosava's assistant Shanetta Folle did the main choreography for Michelle Kwan?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
That is how I read it. Of course, in other interviews, Tarasova talked about the East West Ice Palace and gave every impression that she had worked with Kwan in California on the program, so whether Folle also worked with Kwan, or whether Tarasova was training Kwan to do Folle's choreography -- or whether Tarasova is using Folle to "distance" herself (from the Japanese federation?) are all unknowns.

R.D.

Record Breaker
LBC said:
It does seem they only go to the east coast. Did I read it right that Tarosava's assistant Shanetta Folle did the main choreography for Michelle Kwan?

Appears she was the choreographer, and Tarasova just tweaked things around. (?)

flowjo35

On the Ice
From interviews and people that train at the rink with TT have stated that she went to EW(MK's rink) and worked with Michelle. So maybe TT and her associate worked with Michelle in that week she was in EW. It was stated by a poster that TT wanted those sessions to be conducted in private, so I would assume TT's hands were in Michelle's programs not just an associate.

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Why would a choreographer request private sessions with a skater? I think it would be of the interest of the skater, not of the coach, to keep music and program secret. As for who did the choreography, looks like Shanetta Folle put it together and Tarasova taught it to Kwan.

On another note, I'm really excited to see Navka and partner skating to Carmen, I have been wondering for awhile how would this piece work for them! :rock:

The entire article is full of tidbits which I am sure everyone will enjoy reading.

I'm looking forward to seeing Miller and Brubaker in Pairs. (They used Dean for choreography and had to tweak it. Why not?)

NNN has not yet passed her gold test!

T&M exhausted and may retire after this season, Vassilieve willl not show their LP for fear of the enemies in China :laugh: I don't think he meant it the way it sounds.

No citizenship for Belbin yet but this season they will be dancing a Flamenco. They can ham that up easily.

Wing and Lowe to use excerpts from Copellia

Andreev is back and dating Tanith???

TT's feeling tired and worried about her heart. She can't manage a full day. She is happy with Shanetta Folle. (Who is she - anyone know?)

Apparently Kwan's routine must have been tweaked by TT during Calif visit.
Folle is also working with Shizuka.

I think TT likes to work boys moreso. She is worried about Andrj getting on the Oly team.

Silvia wants to skate in the Olys and sees difficulty beating all those Italian girls.

Wakamatsu does not have Canadian citizenship - no Olys!

N&K using Carmen because it's a no risk music.

C&S using Bolero but it is a modern version.

Denk and Stav music will not be revealed and they are not happy with it.

I'm waiting for my issue of Blades so I can digest all this. :biggrin:

Joe

I think Shanetta Tchoubenko-Folle is actually Russian? She has been the leading coach of the German natonal team for several years.

Did you notice the ad for the Champions on Ice Czech Republic tour? Irina Slutskaya is featured as headliner.

OK, so Irina is planning to do the Japanese cheesefest on October 1, Campbell's on October 8th, then five dates in Europe, October 12-16 -- all before her first Grand Prix event in China on November 3.

Busy gal!

MM

Last edited:
Watanabe and Kido :clap: :love: will be skating to My Fair Lady! I hope they dance all night in Torino!

I think that Mrs. Tarasova's heart condition might be more serious than she lets on. If she cannot put in a full day's work any more, and is delegating more and more responsibility to her assistants, I can see why she is thinking more about returning to Russia and about spending time with her husband in Germany.

MM

mzheng

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
Why would a choreographer request private sessions with a skater? I think it would be of the interest of the skater, not of the coach, to keep music and program secret. As for who did the choreography, looks like Shanetta Folle put it together and Tarasova taught it to Kwan.
:

I heard TT requested those sessions to be private for some other reason than to keep secrete of the musics.....take it or leave it.

There are total two ppl (inlcude TT) were in Cal. If TT brought along her young skater(sorry forget his name), then she couldn't bring Shanetta with her....

I agree with someone above said, may be just a PR spinning for the sake of Japanese federation.......

Mathman said:
OK, so Irina is planning to do the Japanese cheesefest on October 1, Campbell's on October 8th, then five dates in Europe, October 12-16 -- all before her first Grand Prix event in China on November 3. Busy gal!
MM

Here I am hoping she is healthy and look she's apparently in better health than her competitors. :scratch:

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I'm sure she's healthy now; I just hope that she stays that way -- and I am not sure that her schedule is conducive to staying well. She may, though, be driven to "make hay while the sun is shining"

Lucy25

Final Flight
There was a very recent article where Irina said that she is perfectly healthy now, and back to the full training she was doing a few years ago. The medication is keeping her illness in check. Even so, I am a bit surprised she has packed her fall season. Even for those athletes in perfect health, it would be very difficult in an Olympic year. We have to believe that she knows what she is doing, though. We know that she is so happy to be able to be skating again, so maybe she is enjoying every minute of it

I believe that in general people with these autoimmune disorders are encouraged to exercise and keep up normal physical activity as much as their symptoms allow, while avoiding stress. For an athlete with Irina's habitual level of training, all this skating at events that are not too important may be just what the doctor ordered.

MM.

Miezekatze

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Denk and Stav music will not be revealed and they are not happy with it.

The article says that Linichuk said they're skating to Albinoni's Adagio in a new version.

The part about Den & Sta not being happy with it, sounds a bit rumorous ("Other sources revealed..."

I think Shanetta Tchoubenko-Folle is actually Russian? She has been the leading coach of the German natonal team for several years.

I don't really think she's been anything like the "leading coach of the German National team". As far as I know, she used to coach in Munich in a team with Alexander Vedenin. They used to coach mainly Andrejs Vlascenko and Anette Dytrt.

They (Vedenin and Folle) had a bad argument with the head of the Munich skating club (Sissy Krick, who also is high up in the German federation) a few years ago, after which they decided to leave Munich and go to the US for coaching mainly. That's when Shanetta's cooperation with Tarasova started (Vedenin is now at the same rink as Vassiliev and T&M) and it really seems to have boosted her coaching career :)