I'd like to skate | Golden Skate

I'd like to skate

rossy77

Spectator
but I don't have enough time and I'm quite old..do you know if there is a book that can teach me some exercise to do without a trainer...not jump but spins for example?

icedancer2

Rinkside
rossy77 said:
but I don't have enough time and I'm quite old..do you know if there is a book that can teach me some exercise to do without a trainer...not jump but spins for example?

Quite old? Like what? 25? 35? 45? 55? 65?

People start at all ages. Get thee down to the local skating rink and look around, ask around.

I don't think you can learn from a book, but you might get some ideas.

Groups lessons are a great way to start and that is what most people do at first.

rossy77

Spectator
I'm almost 30..I know that there are skating groups for adults..
But I've to work from 9 to 18 and the ice rink it's quite away from where I live and from where I work too.I can't go there by car since I'd have to go there as soon as I leave work..
I can't come back home at 22

emma

Record Breaker
do you have weekend time? Some people who work full time can only skate on weekends, sometimes just once a month, or only in the winter.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
The best thing to do is just go skating when you can. Practice stroking and stopping. Those are basic skating skills. There are books out there that can be of some help. Visit your local library and check out their skating books. Do you have your own skates? Have you skated before?

30 years old is not too old to skate. I'm 46 and am skating, just passed my first skating test.

rossy77

Spectator
I've my own skates..a pair of Roces and...yes I've skated before!I know how to stop..and I'm learning how to go backwards!

CDMM1991

Medalist
I think all you GS adult skaters out there are quite admirable! I'm still a teenager and in the height of my competitive skating, but I just think it's really impressive that even though you're older you're taking the time and effort to try something new! You're awesome! Good luck with all your skating endeavours:)

:rock: :clap: :rock: :clap: :rock: :clap:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Thanks CDMM for the great encouragement! :clap: At times I feel just too old (46) to skate, but I enjoy it sooo much and my coach is wonderful. I just past my pre bronze mif & freestyle and am working on my adult bronze test. I'm so excited to have a program with music, my first time ever!

Good luck with your skating too and enjoy!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
rossy77 said:

As my mom would say "you are as young as you feel." I was a figure skater in my youthful days, but now I am an adult recreational skater. No, I don't get out there and do all the jumps anymore, but I can still skate and do a pretty good sit spin (when my back lets me).

Someone suggested group lessons - that is a great way to start or to restart any level you are at.

No matter just get out there and enjoy!!!!

megsk8z

On the Ice
I'm 48 and still trying to learn new things with my skating. My coach says, "If the desire to skate isn't accompanied by actual efforts to skate, the desire is not to skate." She's very smart.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
I didn't start to skate until I was in my 40s. Now, in my 50s, I'm still hopeless - but Husband and I compete in the British Adult Championships in the Elementary Couples Dance. We usually come last, but increasingly only just last, and, in fact, of the three most recent "warm-up/qualifying" competitions, we came off the bottom in the Free Dance class in two of them; in the third, there were only 2 couples in it, and we knew our opposition would win, as their dance has more technical difficulty than ours does - but ours does end with a fairly spectacular, if easy, lift! Our compulsory dances get closer to our opposition's, but never quite there.... we are beginning to find out why, which is progress.

This to say that, no matter what your age, you can enjoy your skating. I well remember a pairs class in a competition some years ago where, of the four pairs competing, only one had a combined age of less than 120......

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
rossy77 said:

I forgot to add why not try Ice Dance? It's really good basic training in edge control and stroking and there are no jumps or spins involved. The dances are fun to do and you could take tests as you learn. It's great exercise!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
If you can't get to lessons because of the time factor, ask a really good skater at the rink for advice or tips. Anything beyond that and you really should take lessons so you don't pick up bad habits (which are hard to unlearn).Maybe you could get a private coach for every other week or so. That's what some of the adults at my rink do (because of their wacky schedules).

Good luck!

Arianne

On the Ice
I just looked up this book; maybe this could help you, its gotten good reviews at amazon.com

The Complete Book of Figure Skating (Paperback)
by Carole Shulman

Arianne