green beans canning | Golden Skate

green beans canning

New canner

Spectator
Popping the lids after they have sealed???

I open kettled the beans for about 5-10 min., placed them in hot jars with canning salt and put on lids and rings. Well they all popped and sealed, but with in 24 hours after they sealed, they started to pop there seal. There was a white foam @ the top of the jar and bubbles rising from the bottom. We thought maybe we did not cook them long enough so we opened them up put them back in a pan and cooked longer. Well they are again doing the same thing. My mom and grandfather is lost to this problem, can any one help us on why this happened and are they still good to eat if eatten right away?
Thanks New canner

sk8m8

Final Flight
Hey New Canner, welcome to GS.

I can find several things on the internet on canning beans.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,canning_green_beans,FF.html

this should be a good start. There are some things in this recipes I've never heard (canning salt, salytic acid, etc.) Sounds like you've got an enzyme problem that keeps producing gas. Maybe one of these componds reduces that ??? Good luck and enjoy your beans this winter.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Hi New Canner.

First, you shouldn't can beans in a hot water bath unless you pickle them. There isn't enough acid in beans to keep them from spoiling, no matter how long you boil them. All veggies and low acid items should be canned in a pressure canner. I've never tried it, but my neighbor used to can everything from his garden in the pressure cooker. Tomatoes have enough acid that you can use a hot water bath, and you can pickle other veggies to make them suitable for that type of canning.

Now, for the reason why your lids came off and you had the foam. I suspect that you didn't have a clean seal. You must be very careful when applying the lids before canning. Carefully wipe the rim and edge of the jar before applying the lid and ring. Do not touch the rubber seal on the lid with your fingers - use tongs or the little magnetic tool you can get for canning. The jars, lids and rings should have been steralized in hot water, too. If you didn't do that, you might have had something (like dish soap) keeping them from sealing. Clean, clean, clean is the first rule in canning!

I don't usually try to reseal if it didn't work the first time. I just put the product in the fridge or freezer to use right away. With the problems you had with yours, I'd personally be a little hesitant about eating it. The foam and bubbling sound like some sort of contamination.

I hope you try again, though. Canning is fun, and it's great to eat stuff from your garden in the middle of February when it's 0 degrees outside!

backspin

On the Ice
Do you need to specifically can rather than freeze? Freezing is SO easy--blanch, box it up & toss it in the freezer. My mom has always canned & frozen lots of things, & beans she always freezes.

New canner

Spectator
sk8m8 said:
Hey New Canner, welcome to GS.

I can find several things on the internet on canning beans.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,canning_green_beans,FF.html

this should be a good start. There are some things in this recipes I've never heard (canning salt, salytic acid, etc.) Sounds like you've got an enzyme problem that keeps producing gas. Maybe one of these componds reduces that ??? Good luck and enjoy your beans this winter.

I will go to the web site and check it out, I also went to another web site and gave them the same problem. A bunch of them came back and told me to pitch them, that beans need to be done in a pressure canner or hot water bath. Hot pack (I think what I did is called that) does not work for beans they don't have enough acid in them.
Thanks for reply though. :)

New canner

Spectator
backspin said:
Do you need to specifically can rather than freeze? Freezing is SO easy--blanch, box it up & toss it in the freezer. My mom has always canned & frozen lots of things, & beans she always freezes.

I might try the freezing think next year, out of beans right now. I got them from my aunt I don't have a garden. Thanks for your help though. :)