Jenny quitting? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jenny quitting?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
brad640 said:
This is all part of Jenny's plan to win the Presidency in 2012

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I was thinking the same thing.

I don't see that happening because the Lovefest always rewards anointed ones like Kwan and Kimmie and others like Emily and Sasha get their rewards on the world stage.

What world are you living in beause Kwan has been very well rewarded on the world stage (that's why she's the Kween :biggrin: )? No one has been more anointed than Cohen. She has no one to blame but herself :boohoo: for not having won a U.S., World, or Olympic title.

IDLERACER

Medalist
brad640 said:
I agree with DG that the writing is on the wall for Kimmie going to the Olympics. With Angela and Jenny out, there is no stopping the Kimmie bandwagon, and Bebe and Emily will be competing for the alternate position with Emily enjoying a strong advantage.
Call me a loyalist to hometown girls, but I'm not quite ready to write Amber Corwin off just yet. One never can tell.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
dwiggin3 said:
I don't understand why people keep saying Kimmie is the next in line.?!?!?!?!

So, she landed a triple Axle...other than that, I don't think she's any better than many other skaters at the Sr. level. She may be sweet, and may have had a really great skate, but how many girls have had one really great skate and never been able to do much more after that?.......I just don't get it.

Same opinion for E.Hughes as well. I think the third spot is wide open.

Just my 2 cents.
Darby

ITA with you. While Kimmie seems to have great potential, she still has a lot to prove IMO.

I was referring to the politics of the USFSA. The media hype over Kimmie is being done with their blessing IMO. If there is a chance that history and rich tradition will be repeated, then Kimmie could very well have "advantages" at US Nats, especially under a 100% US judging panel controled by the USFSA. (and I personally hope NOT, for the sake of integrity in the sport.)

I hope spot #3 for the US ladies is EARNED and not given. Sorry to be so skeptical.

DG

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
While Kimmie seems to have great potential, she still has a lot to prove

I agree 100%, Doggygirl. She is a good skater with a bright future, but for now, I much prefer watching a more mature/complete skater like Jenny. I'd much rather see either Jenny or Bebe make the team. They, at this point in my eyes at least, are the more complete skaters. Alas, I'll have to root just for Bebe then! I was so looking forward to the "Moulin Rouge" LP! It sounded perfect for Kirk.
Whatever happens, I wish Jenny the best. She has not had an easy road of it in her life. To lose one's mother (and entire support system) at such a young age is heartbreaking and devestating, but I feel she bounced back and showed great strength and courage. I know she will be a complete success in whatever she chooses to do. But, I will miss her at Nationals this year.

brad640

On the Ice
Piel said:
No one has been more anointed than Cohen. She has no one to blame but herself :boohoo: for not having won a U.S., World, or Olympic title.
It will be interesting to see how Cohen is judged by USFS under CoP after beating Kwan by a large margin in every phase of the competition at worlds where she two footed many jumps and made up ground in PCS and spins. She is guaranteed a spot on the team, but has outlived her anointed status for winning the title due to her many flawed performances.

R.D.

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
Perhaps she'll remain here in L.A, and persue a modeling career. She's got the looks and already has an impressive portfolio. Check these out: :love:

Photo #1
Photo #2
Photo #3
Photo #4
Photo #5
Photo #6
Photo #7
Photo #8

Yeah, I'd seen those before. Doesn't she want (or indicate) that she wanted to do broadcasting though? Wonder if she'll become a skating commentator for one of the TV networks (if skating is still on then)...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I was referring to the politics of the USFSA. The media hype over Kimmie is being done with their blessing IMO. If there is a chance that history and rich tradition will be repeated, then Kimmie could very well have "advantages" at US Nats, especially under a 100% US judging panel controled by the USFSA. (and I personally hope NOT, for the sake of integrity in the sport.)

I hope spot #3 for the US ladies is EARNED and not given. Sorry to be so skeptical.

DG

ITA with you. This is the same reason that I keep saying that Kwan has the 2006 title practically in her pocket. It's likely that the judges WANT her to win. Forget about a new judging system. It will happen. (And for you dissenters, this is IMO, and not meant to start anything. And possibly I might be proven wrong if Kwan doesn't deserve the title, and doesn't get it.)

Back to Kimmie. It's obvious to me that she's being touted as the next Big One. With a teenager having won the Olympics last three times (and an American one that last two times), and ESPECIALLY now after Kirk's announcement of retirement, she will be hyped like never before. She has the biggest shot (save the Big Two) of an Olympic spot out of everybody else.

But let's hope, as you said, that the spots are actually earned, that is, everybody is placed correctly. People criticize the "Eastern bloc" for biased judging but really, there is going to be bias on all levels. That's what you get for having judges.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well Sarah was never annointed as anything and she wound up winning the OGM.

Emily is going to get better results than Kimmie at her international senior events and that will be the factor that will ensure her making the Olympic team. If there is anything the Hughes sisters are good at, it's staying under the radar.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I wish Jenny all the best in her future. I can't really argue with her decision. I just hope that she really thought it through. Sometimes trying and failing is easier to live with than "What if...."

R.D.

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
It will be interesting to see how Cohen is judged by USFS under CoP after beating Kwan by a large margin in every phase of the competition at worlds where she two footed many jumps and made up ground in PCS and spins. She is guaranteed a spot on the team, but has outlived her anointed status for winning the title due to her many flawed performances.

Like I said above, it's still U.S. Nats. I don't think the new judging system gives Cohen any sort of advantage. Like the other poster said, she is her own undoing at this point.

No one has been more anointed than Cohen. She has no one to blame but herself for not having won a U.S., World, or Olympic title.

Yes, and...? (I think we are all aware of this...?)

In her defense (partly), she's only had one shot at the Olympics, and that was her first major international comp. (Will something similar happen to Kimmie if she makes it this year?) But I agree with the statement in terms of Nats and Worlds (she HAS had opportunities to win).

Now, I must agree with the Lovefest thing. U.S. Nats IS a lovefest- of You-Know-Who. It's possible that they might get rewarded for it, but it really is more of a sentimental thing. People next year are going to want Kwan to break the record, and it is going to happen unless she bombs, AND someone else (*cough*) can get their act together. But for Cohen's sake it may actually be better for her Olympics-wise not to win Nationals. The majority of the Olympic pressure will be on the winner of Nats.

ETA: Reading over this post, it actually sounds like I want Cohen to win or something. Sigh. That's not the case here. Just take it for what it is, and may the best skater win. :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
The fake triple axel - The branding has begun!!!

No kidding! (She's new on the scene, and the put-downs have already begun!? See what some mad hype can do to you?!)

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Well Sarah was never annointed as anything and she wound up winning the OGM.

Emily is going to get better results than Kimmie at her international senior events and that will be the factor that will ensure her making the Olympic team. If there is anything the Hughes sisters are good at, it's staying under the radar.

You know, after thinking about it for a while, part of this statement strikes me as true! It wasn't Big Hughes (Sarah) but Cohen that got all the "new" hype! (well, she was on TIme magazine though...so I wonder if that counts). Now, it's not Little Hughes (Emily) that's getting all the attention but Kimmie! Hello, skate gods? :laugh:

All kidding aside, though, I'm not sure about the senior international events thing. Wasn't it just one comp where Hughes beat her? (I might be wrong). I would give Kimmie another chance before writing her off. JMO.

Don't worry about it, RedDog, Cohen will be among the top three whether she deserves it or not. The question is 3rd place. I for one, never considered Jenny. It was going to be Kimmie. But for pure tech ability it should be Bebe but the American judges will not go against the USFSA

Kimmie will get 2nd place by doing the 3Ax3T combo in the Short. Your favorite will get 1st if she doesn't collapse and Kwan will get 3rd.

All of them will tweak their programs after Nats and go in for the kill, but the Russian will win it. JMO.

BTW, Let's check out the upcoming cheesefest and see what's going on besides the new dress.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
dwiggin3 said:
I don't understand why people keep saying Kimmie is the next in line.?!?!?!?!

So, she landed a triple Axle...other than that, I don't think she's any better than many other skaters at the Sr. level. She may be sweet, and may have had a really great skate, but how many girls have had one really great skate and never been able to do much more after that?.......I just don't get it.

Same opinion for E.Hughes as well. I think the third spot is wide open.

Just my 2 cents.
Darby

Your logic is correct but politics don't use logic. All indications last year were that Kimmie was the #3 singles lady for the US. I don't think that will change unless she completely falls apart under pressure, and I don't think she is the type that would. Regardless of how Bebe and Emily skate, and how Jenny would have skated, that spot belongs to Kimmie at this point- that's what the politics are dictating. I think Jenny saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to call quits. I am disappointed because she is a lovely skater that just did not do that well at world level. I wish she would stay in FS at least as a pro.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Don't worry about it, RedDog, Cohen will be among the top three whether she deserves it or not. The question is 3rd place. I for one, never considered Jenny. It was going to be Kimmie. But for pure tech ability it should be Bebe but the American judges will not go against the USFSA

Kimmie will get 2nd place by doing the 3Ax3T combo in the Short. Your favorite will get 1st if she doesn't collapse and Kwan will get 3rd.

All of them will tweak their programs after Nats and go in for the kill, but the Russian will win it. JMO.

BTW, Let's check out the upcoming cheesefest and see what's going on besides the new dress.

Joe

I also happen to think Cohen will be given a spot whether she deserves it or not. (Think 2003. A.P. was screwed IMO.) But I really did think Kirk had a legitimate shot at an Olympic spot. Just as much as Kimmie actually. But now that she's retired, that's obviously not an option.

I don't know about Liang, it's obviously people who like her who think she should be higher.

Now, are you joking when you say Kimmie will get 2nd by doing the 3A/3T in the short program?? You have to be. Anyway, Meissner probably would deserve 2nd, but no, Cohen is probably going to take that spot, even with 4 falls. :sheesh: So much for "fair judging" in the West.

I disagree that Cohen can win if she doesn't fall. Have you forgotten Kwan? She owns this event. There's no denying that. The fans want her to win, the judges want her to win. And she will show them that she deserves to win. Kwan in 2nd is VERY unlikely now, and 3rd is just laughable.

Yes, I think "the Russian" has the highest chance of winning Olys. JMO.

And ITA, only time, and future competitions, will give us any further information.