Jenny quitting? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Jenny quitting?

soogar

Record Breaker
The USFS didn't send Kimmie to Worlds, ESPN invited Kimmie to worlds.

The USFS isn't really promoting Hughes because the Hughes parents do their best to shield their kids from the spotlight. Other than the Newsweek cover, there really wasn't any hype for Sarah despite her Worlds bronze medal the year before and her GP wins in the Olympic season. The impression a lot of non-skating folk had was that she was a complete, come out of nowhere surprise. More people knew about Sasha Cohen than Sarah Hughes.

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
The USFS didn't send Kimmie to Worlds, ESPN invited Kimmie to worlds.

The USFS isn't really promoting Hughes because the Hughes parents do their best to shield their kids from the spotlight. Other than the Newsweek cover, there really wasn't any hype for Sarah despite her Worlds bronze medal the year before and her GP wins in the Olympic season. The impression a lot of non-skating folk had was that she was a complete, come out of nowhere surprise. More people knew about Sasha Cohen than Sarah Hughes.

I believe it was TIme magazine. Newsweek had You-Know-Who on the cover.

Toni- ITA.

I certainly was surprised by Hughes' win because I'd never heard of her. The top two were the favorites then.

I wonder what will happen in 06. Things will be different for me this time around knowing all of the contenders. Will there be another "come out of nowhere" victory?

However, I think Sarah was more likeable than Sasha. Although there were a few moments where SH was criticized for not signing autographs, etc., she kind of hid her drive a little more. Cohen showed more ambition and drive, therefore she seemed to keep to herself a little more. Not to mention the rumours of her knocking Kwan over twice. (although I don't know whether to believe them or not).

Even now I think Kimmie (for now) is fairly likeable. This may change as I hear more and more about her. I don't think I could be a fan of hers though.

Back to Jenny though- what's even more surprising is that she always smiled when she went on the ice. (Now, how much of that smile was for show and how much was genuine is another thing.) She seemed very nice and likeable in interviews (and not to mention her looks as well). Now I do agree that her skating lost fire over time, but especially after she went through all the trouble go get new programs for this year makes her announcement that much more shocking. This leads me to think there must have been a "breaking point" somewhere. If she really was tired of skating after last season she would have retired immediately without going through the trouble of getting ready for this year. Even in her journal she comes across as enthusiastic for next season to begin. So something must have happened recently...maybe her injury has a bigger factor to play in all this than we think?

JMO.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I certainly was surprised by Hughes' win because I'd never heard of her.

I take it you had not been following skating during the 1999-2001 period.

The top two were the favorites then.

What do you mean by "the top two"? Kwan and Slutskaya? Kwan and Cohen?

I wonder what will happen in 06. Things will be different for me this time around knowing all of the contenders.

Different for you, because you've been following along between Olympics this time.

Will there be another "come out of nowhere" victory?

Maybe not out of nowhere for us, but out of nowhere for the every-four-years viewers who don't know anyone who wasn't televised from Salt Lake City.

Red Dog said:
"Get Kwan?" I hardly think so. Maybe in the Lipinski camp it was so, but everyone else had kwan's back. In fact it was Kwan that got all the endorsements, money, fame, fans, etc. Tara was basically left out to dry after her 15min. of fame. IMO, it's anything but "get Kwan" at this point. Maybe now in 2006 things will change a little since this is her third try (and she's not the favorite this time), but I seriously doubt it. People like the "3rd time a charm" stories. But who will get the big spotlight? Kimmie? or Kwan?
Red Dog - We all know you are learning about Figure Skating (Ladies Division) but your suppositions, conjectures and assumptions would be better served if you concentrated on what you have actually seen in the short time of your interest in figure skating.

The Lipinskis knew it was Kwan as the one to beat!! and why not? She was, and the Lipinskis did win the Olys.

Kwan did do better in the long run after the Olys with her continued popularity and endorsements.

The disdain for Kwan continues from some of the antiKwans albeit it is not as dastardly as it was prior to 2002. Apparently, the switch to 'get Sluskaya' is a more popular cry of the day. And definitely put Kimmie down at all costs.

Your guessing the outcome of the Olys is well taken. Everyone on this Board is guessing something about the outcome. But your guessing about things past is questionable.

Joe

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
I believe it was TIme magazine. Newsweek had You-Know-Who on the cover.

Prior to olys 2002, there were two you know whos Sarah Hughes who made the cover of Time, and Kwan was the other you know who, she made the cover of Newsweek. Going into olys at GP series Hughes beat both Slute and Kwan

I certainly was surprised by Hughes' win because I'd never heard of her.

Hughes was a jr world medalist at 13, placed 7th in senior worlds at 13, not an unknown at all

However, I think Sarah was more likeable than Sasha. Although there were a few moments where SH was criticized for not signing autographs, etc., she kind of hid her drive a little more.
Where on earth did you get that. Hughes openly said, anytime she prepares for a competition, she prepares herself to win

Cohen showed more ambition and drive
Actually whenever Cohen was interviewed, she always said the official line of I skate the best for myself blah

I don't think I could be a fan of hers though.

Oh I am sure Kimmie will never replace your you know who in your heart :laugh:

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
Exactly... Tara got a lot of backlash after the olympics in the press. Saying she hadn't earned her title... and that she was running away with the medal.
I have been following Tara since olys 98, the press did not say she hadn't earned her title, not even Brennan. So I strongly disagree with you

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
In fact it was Kwan that got all the endorsements, money, fame, fans, etc. Tara was basically left out to dry after her 15min. of fame.

Since I like Tara and think she deserved her win, I strongly disagree with your implication that Tara did not get the endorsement, money, fame or fans. Tara's endorsement were many, Snapples, skating costume / outfit , some finanical institution, (forgot the name but there was a tv commercial made with Tara knitting), Kleenex etc She does not just have 15 min of fame, she is the youngest olys champion. Her 98 olys costume is on display right next to the other olys champs costumes.

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Ah, but at worlds and Olys, Kwan is no longer winning, so what's your point here?

Ah.. but I love to see how people try to tempt skategods, remember all the anyone but (fill in the blank) to win, then the skategods turn around and bless (fill in the blank) :biggrin:

Back to Jenny. I happen to believe what she said, that injuries played a part in her decision. Even though Jenny is relatively young 20 going on 21 she has spent many of these years away from home training. I think she was just 12 or 13 years old when she left home and went to Cape Cod to train. She board with Jennifer Don's family. Then she left MA to train with Callaghan just right after HS graduation. I remember that she wrote on her journal how she had to spend her 18th birthday in the dark b/c of that massive blackout that summer. Then she left for CA to train with Frank, and had to handle having her car broke down, and searched for help. All these experience help her mature early. She also formed a tight friendship with Jennifer Don. But years of training away from home probably made her homesick. I will miss her, but good luck. Just from reading her journal, even as young as 14, she has shown tremendous thoughtfulness and maturity, I expect a totally bright future for her after skating

Last edited:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
totally sucks

Jenny was very under marked in a few competitiones, i.e. worlds. She is a great skater dancer and I'd rather watch her skate than Irina, Michelle on her off days-no offense fans and half the Japanese jumpers. I think Stars on Ice should take her. She is wonderful! Jenny,, change your mind----go pro!!!!! :frown:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Kirk was quite charming in COI, and I agree that she'd be a good addition to the SOI cast. She's a performer, and she looks great on the smaller rinks.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
No Angela and no Jenny. I will miss them both a lot as I enjoyed watching them and rooted for them to do well. Nationals will feel a bit empty for me.

Of the heirs apparant mentioned, I prefer Bebe, just for the record, so I will root for her. Anyway, any conjecture at this point regarding who will make the Oly team is just that -- conjecture. The season starts in a few weeks. We will know then who is determined to use CoP to their advantage. As the season progress, we will see who the judges are responding to and how skaters adjust. I do think Kwan and Cohen are a lock to go to the Olys. I think the third spot is very open.

kyla2

Final Flight
Comments

I am very glad Jenny is leaving competitive skating, so she can get on with the rest of her life. There was no where for her to go with it. She was not improving and I can imagine this was very frusturating for her. She made a wise decision.

I saw on another site that Michelle is still basically practicing 3t/3t and not always landing them, but that her choreography is very good. I am glad that Bebe is with Frank because I think she is a very solid and interesting skater. I also think she could handle Lori Nichol's choreography. It remains to be seen who lands in the third spot for the American ladies, but I don't believe it will be Emily Hughes. Personally, I prefer Bebe over Kimmie right now who still has some junior skater qualities, with or without a triple axel.

gezando said:
I have been following Tara since olys 98, the press did not say she hadn't earned her title, not even Brennan. So I strongly disagree with you
Tara did get a lot of backlash from certain forums and lots of praise from other forums. She was well treated by the Press in NYC with full page pictures of her. They made her Queen of the Olympics. Kwan, on the other hand, was hardly mentioned by the press except that she won the silver.

For at a full year and possibly more, Tara reigned supreme in the Press. She even told Sarah what to expect.

I think some posters confuse forum gush with actual press bulletins.

Joe

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
And definitely put Kimmie down at all costs

Honestly, I don't think that is what it has been like that for the most part. Or, rather, I don't think it should be looked at in that manner. Kimmie has been widely criticized, but most of these people criticizing are quick to point out that she is a talented young girl with loads of potential. The main point most people seem to be trying to make is that she is young and doesn't yet have the complete package. There is nothing wrong in saying that. IMO, it is the truth. It doesn't take away from the fact that she is quite talented and seems to have a bright future. As for the whole 3a debate.......again.....I see nothing wrong with the criticisms regarding that jump. It isn't pretty...yet. But, again, most people are quick to commend her for giving it a great shot. Kimmie is young and will grow as a skater, but she is now entering the high profile world of elite skating. Criticism comes with the territory. Kwan (pre-96 especially) dealt with the same type of criticism, and, in my mind, it was warranted. Kwan, pre-"Salome", was not the complete package. Blah blah..rant rant, lol.....anyway, I am just trying to say that I don't get the feeling that people are trying to knock Kimmie just for kicks or because they have ulterior motives.

Jenny's decision to quit was probably more than one thing. She loved to perform and when she was on, she was special.

Too bad about Bebe. She's really being pushed out to make way for Emilie, and I think Bebe has only 1 GP. It would be great to see her skate the best.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Too bad about Bebe. She's really being pushed out to make way for Emilie, and I think Bebe has only 1 GP. It would be great to see her skate the best.

Joe

Bebe pushes herself away when she has subpar performances at international events. Unlike Jenny, Bebe has not won a junior worlds (I don't even think she medaled there, her highest finish being fourth), and when they competed at 4C's this year, Bebe made numerous mistakes and Jenny finished on the podium while Bebe placed 6th. I like Bebe's skating a lot, but she hurts herself when she doesn't put it together in international events.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Jenny lost her competitive fire due to injury and the resulting results. She definitely wasn't advancing. Her performances at World's have been disappointing.

I wonder if she was ever a competitor. She's a lovely skater, but I didn't always feel a real determination from her. I wonder if she continued skating as a way to continue a connection with her mother. Did she feel a sense of obligation to continue the dream she and her mother shared?

I'm sure she enjoys skating, but did she really want to do it competitively? Her favorite program IMO was Chicago - it was fun and gave her a chance to perform, not just compete.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I think Jenny lost her competitive fire due to injury and the resulting results. She definitely wasn't advancing. Her performances at World's have been disappointing.

I agree, Heyang, especially about the results part. She was certainly capable of top 8 at Worlds in any given year, IMO. It is such a shame that she never had a good Worlds. She is the kind of skater you really want it for.

Her favorite program IMO was Chicago

"Chicago" was absolutely perfect for Jenny. That is why I was so excited about the "Moulin Rouge" LP. I could have seen that music and those themes working very well for her.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
gkelly said:
I take it you had not been following skating during the 1999-2001 period.

What do you mean by "the top two"? Kwan and Slutskaya? Kwan and Cohen?

Different for you, because you've been following along between Olympics this time.

Maybe not out of nowhere for us, but out of nowhere for the every-four-years viewers who don't know anyone who wasn't televised from Salt Lake City.

You're right on the first part

By the Top Two I mean Kwan and Slutskaya.

And I specified that it was different for ME, did I not?

Since I like Tara and think she deserved her win, I strongly disagree with your implication that Tara did not get the endorsement, money, fame or fans. Tara's endorsement were many, Snapples, skating costume / outfit , some finanical institution, (forgot the name but there was a tv commercial made with Tara knitting), Kleenex etc She does not just have 15 min of fame, she is the youngest olys champion. Her 98 olys costume is on display right next to the other olys champs costumes.

In Houston where I lived at the time she won gold, she was basically a rock star. She was treated very well here because this was her hometown, after all. But, after a while, we almost never heard from her again. I still think there is resentment from certain fans that Tara took the gold from kwan, and/or she "took the medal and ran with it." Many posts I see (not necessarily from this forum but on others I've seen) illustrate this very point. JMO.

Ah.. but I love to see how people try to tempt skategods, remember all the anyone but (fill in the blank) to win, then the skategods turn around and bless (fill in the blank)

Just remember my point. MK is no longer on top in the world, therefore "anyone but" reigns supreme. But at Nationals, MK is still on top. And it seems to me she's gonna stay there until she retires. Whatever, IMO I think it would be nice if someone were to beat her. Doesn't matter who. And I have no preference as to who does it.

Oh I am sure Kimmie will never replace your you know who in your heart

I suppose if she were to become the next winner of Nationals/Olympics, she'd be alright. My point is, her skating is not quite my style - yet (although I do admire her drive and willingness to push the boundaries and try new things). That's why I could like her. I can't say the same for Cohen and kwan.

Red Dog - We all know you are learning about Figure Skating (Ladies Division) but your suppositions, conjectures and assumptions would be better served if you concentrated on what you have actually seen in the short time of your interest in figure skating.

FYI- I DID watch the 1998 Olympics and got interested for a short time during and after this period, so I'm stating the observations I've made during that period. Also, judging by posters' reactions to her, it's not that hard for me to figure this out.

Where on earth did you get that. Hughes openly said, anytime she prepares for a competition, she prepares herself to win

I have yet to see one skater who doesn't prepare herself to win. I think all the major skaters have said this to some extent (yes, Kwan included!). However, the difference here is that Cohen (to me anyway) seemed more "cold" and "distant" than Hughes did. She (Cohen) had some fire initially but that died out by mid-season the following year. I sort of like that style of skating as opposed to the slower, mellower style by Kwan, et al. I like to see some warmth in the skating, and I don't think Cohen has once had that. I saw more of that in Hughes, Kwan (when she was on) and even Irina. That's how, IMO, Hughes is more likeable than Cohen is. In fact the only time I really enjoyed SC perform was this at this past World's exhibition. She let go and looked like she really was having fun out there. That's one style I like.

Well, whatever. this is all JMO, take it for what it is.

Last edited:

fuido

Rinkside
I'm very saddened by this news, but in the end she had to do what was in her best interest. You have to think that, in the back of her head, she knew she would never catch up to the Kwans and the Cohens of the sport and one slight bobble would but her behind the Meissners and the Hugheses and the Liangs. She's practically been all but forgotten by her federation and her poor results at the last couple World Championships have pretty much sealed her fate.

I have to say, though, I've always enjoyed watching her on ice because she has such an ethereal quality about her skating. One of my favorite choreographical nuances of recent memory is the heart she edged onto the ice during her Beatles free skate.