Arakawa and Honda to be at Campbells | Golden Skate

Arakawa and Honda to be at Campbells

The last annoucement said Slutskaya, Kwan, Cohen, Meissner and Hughes were confirmed, and Suguri and Ando had been invited. If neither Fumie nor Miki come but they add Arakawa, that will be a solid six, albeit weighted toward Americans.

For the men, it looks like Honda will be replacing Plushenko, along with Joubert, Buttle, Weir, Goebel and Lysacek.

This is hardly an international competition. 4 Americans? in the Ladies and no Mao Asada? no Miki Ando? No Susanna Poykio? No Joannie Rochette.

The Men a little better but no Stephane? no Li? no Daisake? no Lindemann? And how much of this will we see on TV?

I've listed my interests in this little contest in the Campbells Int'l slot in the International Competitions Section.

MM - I hope you report in a Spoiler spot what jumps the two divas did.

Joe

waxel

Final Flight
Honda?? Oy. He seems like a nice fella... but sorry... just not a fan. I still have nightmares about the toilet-paper Mummy costume...

Dyan

On the Ice
:laugh: waxel. I forgave Takeshi for the Mummy program after seeing his Riverdance LP. Riverdance might have been used many times before but Takeshi's was one of my favorites. Hopefully he's gotten past the injury (injuries?) that have held him back in the past few seasons.

I'm glad that Arakawa has been added. I still wish USFS would go back to the team format at least for one of their internationals because it would be nice to see some pair and icedancers included in more than just the exhibitions between the men and women.

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Would really be exciting if the programs are not watered-down (probably a far-fetched dream). But who knows? Keep your fingers crossed...

R.D.

Record Breaker
havanamesa1 said:
Would really be exciting if the programs are not watered-down (probably a far-fetched dream). But who knows? Keep your fingers crossed...

It's always a possibility. :biggrin:

Vash01

Medalist
Since this is the beginning of the season, I expect to see cautiously skated programs, that is if the skaters are using their new programs. If they are using the old programs, they will look more comfortable skating them but it will not be like what we saw at worlds. They are coming off an off season. This is a very important season and they will pace themselves to peak in Feb.

Still, it will be a nice competition.

I used to like Takeshi Honda's skating a lot, but with injuries and inconsistencies he may be just a ghost of what he was in 2002.

I am looking forward to seeing what Shizuka has this season. Last season was a big disappointment for her. Can Tarasova wave her magic wand again? We won't see it at Campbell's though.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Since this is the beginning of the season, I expect to see cautiously skated programs, that is if the skaters are using their new programs. If they are using the old programs, they will look more comfortable skating them but it will not be like what we saw at worlds. They are coming off an off season. This is a very important season and they will pace themselves to peak in Feb.

ITA.

One would think that it would be the other way around- i.e. try out their most difficult combos, spins, etc. since there is a lot less at stake here than Olys or even GP events.

There WILL be a winter event BTW.

I am looking forward to seeing what Shizuka has this season. Last season was a big disappointment for her. Can Tarasova wave her magic wand again? We won't see it at Campbell's though.

Vash

Same here.