Warning: Surrealism at the Emmys | Golden Skate

Warning: Surrealism at the Emmys

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
For those of you who are going to be watching the Emmys, consider this a warning:

This was in the San Diego Union yesterday, and I'm sure in a few other papers nation-wide as well, I would post a link if I had time to track it down.

Apparently the powers-that-be have decided to have some musical numbers in this year's ceremony; in the style of American Idol and Rock Star INXS, the public can vote on their favorite rendition.

This is supposed to include:

Megan Mulally ("Will & Grace") teaming up with Donald Trump to do the "Green Acres" theme. [This I think is going to be an absolute hoot]

William Shatner and opera star Federica von Stade teaming up to do the "Star Trek" theme. [Which I was unaware actually had any words; surely they're not going to stand up there and do the ooo-ooo, ooo ooo ooo ooo-oooo thing over and over again for 3 minutes]

And my personal favorite:

Gary Dourdan (Warrick on CSI) teaming with Macy Gray (!!) to sing the Jeffersons theme, "Movin' On Up'.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
William Shatner and opera star Federica von Stade teaming up to do the "Star Trek" theme. [Which I was unaware actually had any words; surely they're not going to stand up there and do the ooo-ooo, ooo ooo ooo ooo-oooo thing over and over again for 3 minutes].
:rofl: :rofl: :laugh: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl: :laugh: I can't stop giggling over that ooo-ooo thing! That was really a riot! :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm thinking it COULD conceivably work as a Dance Mix. Either that, or Shatner's going to do some spoken word thing "Space. The Final Frontier", etc, etc, while Ms. von Stade does the ooo-oo thing in the background......

IDLERACER

Medalist
Actually, the theme from the original Star Trek series did have lyrics. But as is often the case, the producers decided that it worked best as an instrumental. Other TV series that also originally had lyrics that were nixed by the powers that be include Bewitched, I Dream Of Genie and Bonanza. Nichelle (Uhuru) Nicole recorded an album that included the theme complete with lyrics. Click HERE to view the cover. I know that a free Mp3 of it exists somewhere on the web. I'll search for it when I have time.

I know the first verse of the "Star Trek" theme. Be grateful you can't hear me sing it.

"My LOVE is greater than the stars! Ooo-oo-oo-oo-OOO-ooo!"

A woman I knew in college sang the whole thing once from memory.

It's a love song using outer space imagery. I'm sure I could Google the lyrics, but I bet Idle's already on it.:)

What are they going to sing for "Six Feet Under"? I want someone to do a parody of "Poor Ned is Dead" from "Oklahoma" only make it "Damn Nate is Dead." Michael C. Hall (David) and Lauren Ambrose (Claire) have great voices -- who could forget Claire's song about pantyhose, "You Ride Up My Thighs," to "You Light Up My Life" -- but Frances Conroy (Ruth) has a nice voice too and it would be great to have Ruth blubber through the whole song.

I might even watch the Emmy's this year! :rock:

Rgirl

IDLERACER

Medalist
Here's the story. Nichelle originally recorded the song and released it as a single in the mid 60s while the show was on the air. It is currently available as a bonus track on the imported version of her 1968 "Down To Earth" CD. Click HERE if you wish to purchase it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate a sound bite.

But the story doesn't end there. In 1979, when the first Star Trek movie was released, it was the height of the disco craze. Some nudnick decided to re-release Nichelle's original mid 60s recording with an army of disco drums and synthesizers overdubbed on to it. I did manage to locate a sound bite of that. Click HERE.

Idle, ya never let me down. I see that 30 years after I heard that woman in college sing it my memory isn't as perfect as I remember it to be.:laugh: At least my mind still remembers Beck's "I'm a Loser" like a steal trap. :clap:

For those who don't want to listen to the "Star Trek" TV theme song lyrics as sung by Nichelle Nichol, here are the written lyrics:

STAR TREK TV SHOW THEME SONG

Beyond the rim of the starlight,
my love is wandering in star flight.
I know he'll find
In star clustered reaches
Love, strange love
A starwoman teaches.

I konw his journey ends never.
His Star Trek will go on forever.
But tell him while
He wanders his starry sea,
Remember,
Remember me!

Rtheme :rock:

screech

Final Flight
Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars) will be singing the theme to Fame.

Apparently after all the performances are done, viewers get to vote for their favourites. Something which the stars didn't know when they signed up for this. I read a thing with Kristen where she said "I did NOT know there would be voting. But I have some backup dancers, so they'll make me look good."

So jeez, reality TV during the emmys.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
- who could forget Claire's song about pantyhose, "You Ride Up My Thighs," to "You Light Up My Life"

Rgirl

Claire's :rock: version was much better than Debbie Boone's.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I'm extremely disturbed by the fact that this opera singer is doing the theme song for Star Trek. I'm really not sure why either.......I don't really care for this whole singing thing througout the broadcast either. Give me more clips from the people who were nominated please, thank you. :indiff:

And while I'm here rambling about the Emmys, is anyone else ready for them to STOP loving Raymond so much?! I mean really, the show could be funny at times but I think it more often than not it was way overrated. :yes:

No no, Kwanfan, Erika Von Strata and William Shatner rocked, LOL.

Worst performance: Donald Trump on Green Acres :rofl:

Best Actor: MONK!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Thank goodness Raymond is off the air because they've bestowed so many daggone trophies on that show that it makes me ill. That show is SOOO overrated!! :eek:hwell:

On the other hand, LOST won the Emmy for Outstanding Drama and that is absolutely awesome!! :rock:

And I still think Emmy Idol was not that much fun at all but I am one who lost interest in American Idol the past two seasons so that could be where I am coming from too, LOL :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
You know -- I actually don't think Donald Trump sang that badly. As to Shatner & von Stade -- you know, people, TRULY I was making some kind of joke when I said surely they weren't going to stand up there and just do the ooo ooo ooo thing for 3 minutes, but I wasn't that far off. (Tho now that I heard it again tonight, I guess it would have been more accurate to call it the aaaah aaaah aaah thing....)

Pretty typical Emmys other than that, though. What always annoys me about the Emmys is that it may well be the only award in the world of this nature where it's easier to win your 5th, 6th, 7th one than it is to win your first one. This would be because it's hard for people to win their first one since they're up against people who keep getting their 5th one!! Even in Raymond's last year, they couldn't finally throw a bone to Peter Boyle??