Johnny Weir's "Blades on Ice" interview | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's "Blades on Ice" interview

S

SkateFan4Life

The October 2005 issue of "Blades on Ice" contains a lengthy cover story on Johnny Weir. The article was written from phone interviews, it seems. And Johnny most certainly speaks his mind. He spoke at length of the disastrous 2003 US Nationals, in which he withdrew during the long program, and he said that in 2004 he "kicked everyone's ----".

Weir also speaks with strong disapproval of people who go online and write negative things about his hair, music, programs, etc. I'm assuming that includes some of us.

While he certainly has the right to his own opinions and to speak his mind, I wasn't exactly thrilled with his attitude.

I think he's a fantastic, artistic skater, nevertheless.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Ummm, and a skater should be thrilled that there are people in this world with nothing better to do than criticize someone's hair, music, personal life?

Actually, in a way he should be. Those are the people who are paying their money to see him skate, LOL.

MM

S

SkateFan4Life

All of us have lives, and we certainly have better things to do than criticize a skater's hair, costumes, etc. On the other hand, we have the right to express ourselves, as long as we aren't nasty or cruel in doing so. There's a line between "commenting" and "bashing". "Commenting" is perfectly OK, but "Bashing" is not.

IMHO, Johnny needs to realize that as a celebrity, he is in the public eye, like it or not. Anyone who is well known has to develop a rather tough hide to shield himself or herself from the feedback he or she will receive from the public. My advice to Johnny would be to appreciate the fact that people care enough to comment on his hair, costumes, etc., and to not take it all too personally.

Of course, it's a lot easier said than done, especially when you're only 21 years old.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I loved his comments about Evan Lysacek in the article. He said that Evan gave him encouraging words after he had to pull out of Nationals in 2003 even though they didn't really know each other that well at the time. He said how he'd never forget that and that Evan is a good guy. :rock:

The comparison of the story on Johnny and Stephane is worth pondering. They are completely different in their outlook on life. Stephane doesn't seem to worry about what people are saying. He has a goal on life not just skating.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

I just felt a bit bewildered at Johnny's attitude. He certainly doesn't give two hoots about showing some discretion in his public comments. I hope he doesn't make the kind of media faux paux that other skaters have made from time to time.

Contrast that to Timothy Goebel, who comes across as a soft-spoken gentlemen
of the first order. :clap:

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Contrast that to Timothy Goebel, who comes across as a soft-spoken gentlemen of the first order. :clap:

Comes across being the operative words.
Johnny's honestly, while not always becoming, is indeed refreshing. :thumbsup:

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
I just felt a bit bewildered at Johnny's attitude. He certainly doesn't give two hoots about showing some discretion in his public comments. I hope he doesn't make the kind of media faux paux that other skaters have made from time to time.

Contrast that to Timothy Goebel, who comes across as a soft-spoken gentlemen
of the first order. :clap:

Johnny seems to be a delightful and unique young man. His candor is refreshing. He is a young man with strong opinions. I love this. Why is this a problem? His interviews are generally interesting and entertaining. Not the same old stuff that we get from others. :clap:

One has to put up with the personality of a skater - which will change once the skater begins to mature personally.

My first impression of Sasha Cohen was that she was very feisty and was saying things which were, for want of a better word - rash. I remember her saying that she had already beaten Vikka so she was not worried about her in competition. (Vikka did beat her in that competition). But that is what kids are all about. Now Sasha is much more mature. She's over 20 and very much subdued in life. I think it shows in her skating, too. She has gotten some refinement in her skating that I like.

Give Johnny another year and you will see a different Johnny. Trust me.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

mmscfdcsu said:
Johnny seems to be a delightful and unique young man. His candor is refreshing. He is a young man with strong opinions. I love this. Why is this a problem? His interviews are generally interesting and entertaining. Not the same old stuff that we get from others. :clap:

I never said Johnny's candor was a "problem". Certainly, he is entitled to his opinions. I will say, however, that IMHO, comments such as "kicking the ----" of the competition are just plain low-class. Maybe it's "boring" to be gentlemanlike when speaking to the press, but that's the way I personally like it. You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Obviously, nothing that any of us say will have any effect on Johnny, and why should it?

He also stated that the USFSA wasn't particularly pleased with his interviews, so he knows they (the USFSA) have "a problem" with his candor.

That being said, I think Johnny is one amazing skater. He definitely has the skills to win World and Olympic medals.

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
One has to put up with the personality of a skater - which will change once the skater begins to mature personally.

My first impression of Sasha Cohen was that she was very feisty and was saying things which were, for want of a better word - rash. I remember her saying that she had already beaten Vikka so she was not worried about her in competition. (Vikka did beat her in that competition). But that is what kids are all about. Now Sasha is much more mature. She's over 20 and very much subdued in life. I think it shows in her skating, too. She has gotten some refinement in her skating that I like.

Give Johnny another year and you will see a different Johnny. Trust me.

Joe

That may well be true, Joe. Johnny is still relatively new to being in the public eye and dealing with his celebrity status as a US champion.

I agree with you about Sasha Cohen. The lady has definitely matured in the past years, and at the age of 21, she's an adult.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Maybe it's "boring" to be gentlemanlike when speaking to the press, but that's the way I personally like it.

Can't say as I blame you, but I wouldn't confuse being a gentleman with being bogus.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Something about the interview gave me the impression that Johnny thinks that those skaters who are not as outspoken as he is (such as Michelle Kwan) are somewhat bogus, and I didn't like it. IMO, if someone like Michelle started talking like Johnny Weir, it would come off as phony as if Weir decided to talk like Kwan. Kwan should give Kwan-like interviews and Weir should give Weir-like interviews.

S

SkateFan4Life

Pixie Cut said:
Can't say as I blame you, but I wouldn't confuse being a gentleman with being bogus.

Certainly. Of course, I do not know Timothy Goebel - do any of us? - but he comes across as a gentlemen.