Viktoria Volchkova | Golden Skate

Viktoria Volchkova

Her Grand Prix events are Cup of Russia and NHK, so I guess we won't be seeing her until near the end of the season.

Tiana

Rinkside
Volchkova was at the training camp in Slovenia early in August.
But she had a tear of meniscus at the end of August. :frown:
The last what I heared - her team thinking about operation.
Also Soldatova got ankle sprain and hairline fracture at the same day.
And some rumor says that Navka injured her leg too. :disapp:

Mathman said:
Her Grand Prix events are Cup of Russia and NHK, so I guess we won't be seeing her until near the end of the season.
Regarding the poster who said that the ISU invites skaters to the GP based on their standings in the world. How did Volchkova get two assignments?

Joe

Tiana said:
Volchkova was at the training camp in Slovenia early in August.
But she had a tear of meniscus at the end of August. :frown:
The last what I heared - her team thinking about operation.
Also Soldatova got ankle sprain and hairline fracture at the same day.
And some rumor says that Navka injured her leg too. :disapp:
Those are quite serious injuries, please keep us posted, Tiana.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Regarding the poster who said that the ISU invites skaters to the GP based on their standings in the world. How did Volchkova get two assignments?
Here is the link to the rules.

Basically, it's as follows:
  • Those in top 12 at Worlds get 2 assignments.
  • Those in 13 - 24 at Worlds, or in top 36 in rankings, get "a minimum of 1".
  • Former medalists who're coming back to the sport have some special logic.
  • Host country may add on their skaters, as long as the total number of participants does not exceed limits, no un-seeded skater gets more than 2 GP assignments in a season (max 3 for seeded), and no more than 3 skaters/couples from the same country get to skate in the same event.

So, Volchkova probably got Japan through a draw, and was added on to Russia by her federation.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Volchkova is ranked No. 23 in the World, is a three-time Europeans silver medallist, has skated in the GPF, and has placed in top 10 at Worlds a number of times. All of the seniors above her in the rankings -- except Amber Corwin -- were given two assignments. (There are three higher-ranking Juniors, who will compete in Junior GP.) There are skaters who are ranked lower than Volchkova who also got two assignments: Mira Leung (39), Victoria Pavuk (24), Jenna McCorkell (27 - just assigned to CoR to replace Kirk), Idora Hegel (40), Dan Fang (46), Na Hou (81), and I don't even see Candice Didier on the list. Karen Venhuizen, who is ranked 95th, was chosen for NHK over Karademir, Cantu, and a handful of more interesting skaters.

It seems that when it comes to filling their rosters, the host nations seem to choose skaters from other host nations. The most curious to me was that 30th-ranked Alban Preaubert was given two events, and neither is TEB.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Interesting. Then again, all it says in the rules is that those skaters get "a minimum of 1" assignments. Nothing says they can't get 2.

Thanks Ptichka and Hockeyfan although I'm still confused. Anyway it will be nice to see Vikka skate again if the injury is not serious. She has that Anna Karenina look about her that I dig. Very elegant style.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Thanks for the updates on Victoria Volchkova. Hopefully, she will return this season in good health and physical shape and skate well in all of her competitions. She has a long, lean, elegant look, and she had incredibly high jumps!

Tiana

Rinkside
Roman said that Tatiana Navka really injured her leg. But it's OK now and they will be participate in Russian Test Skate and "Rise" Ice Show at the end of September :)

vixen62025

Rinkside
I am :frown: a thousand times over for Vika. She's absolutely gorgeous and her lutz jump is a thing of beauty! (Even though Ira is the better athlete, Vika is still my fave of the Russian ladies. Sigh!)

That is horrible news about Soldatova as well. Do you know if the fracture was in her ankle, leg, foot, or some place else? Do you think she will still be able to compete at Russian Nationals?

It's awful hearing about all these injuries so early in the season....

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Tiana said:
Yesterday Vika had an operation on meniscus.

What a set back. I really feel for her. WheneverI look into her eyes, I get this feeling that she really wants to show everyone that she is just as good as the top ladies in the world. But things have not been able to come together for her since SLC. I remember watching her at 2001 worlds, and she was so damn consistent on her jumps, had so much potential. She can possibly try out for the Russian Olympic team, even if she maks it she'll be skating for the love and joy, because a medal is out of the question for her. With the competition being so deep, you just can't offered to miss the GP series and expect to wow the Olympic judges, they won't have it.
I wish her all the best and I hope she hangs around after Turino, with Slutskaya out of the way and many of the top ladies, she'll have a good shoot at winning Nationals and possibly a medal at worlds.