Watching the Rerun of the 2004 GP Finals. | Golden Skate

Watching the Rerun of the 2004 GP Finals.

Did you all see it last night? I didn't know it was on but I was flicking the remote before turning down the lights and there I was in Beijing watching Chengjian LI do a superb job of a FS. He is soooooo underscored.

Joubert started out like a house on fire and then suddenly turned to ashes. What was it that whole season for him? He looked very good for the first minute and a half.

I'm so used to looking for a clean skate by Emmanuel that I never really watched his program as a whole. I did this time and it was a remarkably well laid out routine worthy of high scores for choreography. He's in consant flow at all times. He will medal at Torino if he stands up.

Buttle - well, we know how good the whole package was.

I watched with amazement at how cool Evgeni skates. He knows very well how to pace himself better than any other skater. I did notice last night how he maybe footworking the ice like crazy to get applause BUT he pauses before each jump ever so lightly, and carefully executes it, then he resumes his fast paced MTFs. Check me out.

I fell asleep for the Ladies but managed to tape it which I haven't seen yet.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Chengjian LI do a superb job of a FS. He is soooooo underscored.
I totally agree. I think judges are used to seeing Li as a jumping bean who cannot do anything else. I felt he was underscored throughout the season, and especially at GPF. Sort of like the way Elvis used to be underscored throughout his career.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
watching Chengjian LI do a superb job of a FS. He is soooooo underscored.Joe
I totally agree that Li is so underscored. I remember there being quite a discussion about Alexei winning over Sasha Abt, at Europeans, I think. Anyhow, I forget the competition where Li skated almost flawlessly and Sasha Abt fell several times and placed higher. What goes around comes around. :rofl: :rofl:

I fell asleep for the Ladies but managed to tape it which I haven't seen yet
Don't feel bad Joe, I fell asleep when Evgeni was skating but wasn't worried, I have the Grand Prix on tape. :rofl: :rofl:

Dee