Keeping Up Appearances | Golden Skate

Keeping Up Appearances

S

SkateFan4Life

I was browsing through my copy of the “Lake Placid Preview – 1980 Winter Olympics” , which contains a long article on Linda Fratianne, the then defending US and World champion who was going into the Olympics as a gold medal favorite. Annet Poetsch of East Germany was the co-favorite. We all know the outcome of that competition.

Many of us remember Linda as the skater who popularized heavy beaded skating costumes and costumes with “petal” skirts. She spoke in this article on the importance of always looking neat and attractive, even during practice. She said, “I always wear makeup. You never know when a judge may be at the rink.”

I remember seeing televised Olympic figure skating practices from 1992, 1994, 1998, and 2002. Indeed, most of the women wore makeup – sometimes heavy makeup. Their practice outfits, for the most part, were very attractive and fashionable – not your average sweatpants garden variety. Kristi Yamaguchi wore stunning practice outfits at Albertville, Nancy Kerrigan wore the lovely white practice dress she wore the day she was attacked at the US Nationals at the Lillehammer practices, Michelle Kwan and Tara Lipinski wore very pretty outfits during their Nagano practices, and Sarah Hughes wore attractive outfits during her Salt Lake City practices.

All of them wore makeup – the non-running kind, I’m assuming.

I really wonder if the glamour side of this sport is going a bit far. Frankly, who cares what the skaters wear during practice? As long as they’re decently covered up, they should feel free to wear whatever they want, and the heck with making a fashion statement. On the other hand, when it’s the Olympics, and the eyes of the world are focused on you, it does make sense to look your best. Perhaps the same skaters I mentioned above wear plain, no-frills outfits when they practice at home and wear the "fancy practice clothes" only when they're practicing at major competitions.

On the other hand, there was Tonya Harding, who wore plain, no-frills black practice dresses and leotards during her televised practices, whether she was in Oregon or at Lillehammer. Perhaps she was making a statement, maverick that she was.

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
I believe I had heard Peggy Fleming make comments about looking your best in practice, and actually told an elite skater (Yamaguchi?) to always look her best. Sorry if I'm way off.

S

SkateFan4Life

Pau-goodle76 said:
I believe I had heard Peggy Fleming make comments about looking your best in practice, and actually told an elite skater (Yamaguchi?) to always look her best. Sorry if I'm way off.

I'm sure you're correct about Peggy's comments to Kristi. Figure skating is a performance sport, and appearances do count, at all times. :biggrin:

soogar

Record Breaker
Well I think the dress part has changed because from recent practice photos, it appears that most skaters are just wearing pants and tight tank tops (the ladies). Men always wear a T-shirt and black pants.

However event practices are like going to a job interview. You wouldn't go to an interview without looking your best; why expect skaters to look schlubby in competition practices?

ladybug

On the Ice
Being televised without make up makes a person look very pale and pasty. Can you imagine what your sports writers would be saying: Looks like Irena's illness has got a hold on her.....Kwan has that tense look about her at this competition and Sasha just doesn't look like she is ready or comfortable in her practices this week. JMO

Ladybug

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Keeping up appearances as it were is important in the figure skating world. One never knows when a judge could be watching. Also, skaters are taught at a young age to keep their skates in pristeen condition - especially for tests and competitions. It's sort of just a given. At the local rinks of course the standards are little less formal when it comes to practice sessions.

I had several outfits I wore for practice and nicer outfits I kept for tests. I always made sure my skates were sharpened and polished and I had extra laces in my bag - everyone remembers the Tonya Harding ordeal over the laces!! Of course, every skater brings along extra laces just in case. I still do to this day.

I would not spend too much time thinking on this one. It's just another part of figure skating that is sort of a tradition and standard. The skaters are used to it and don't mind.

One thing most fans don't realize about figure skating is the discipline that one learns from being a skater. Taking care of ones skates and appearance is part of that discipline. It actually is a good thing that carries on into one's life later on.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
One thing most fans don't realize about figure skating is the discipline that one learns from being a skater. Taking care of ones skates and appearance is part of that discipline. It actually is a good thing that carries on into one's life later on.

I agree with you on the importance of taking care of one's appearance and the value of learning discipline. A figure skater's skates are their bread and butter, so they naturally must be kept in pristine condition.

With all the slobbery that goes on today, it's refreshing to think that there are sports - and figure skatign is just one - in which the participants maintain a neat and attractive appearance.

I'm not agonizing over this topic, believe me! :biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Seems to me you would have a better practice if you take the time to primp yourself up a little, as opposed to showing up in something you pulled out of the laundry hamper. There used to be a ballplayer down here, played for the Padres, can't remember who it was, but he was always known for his immaculate appearance on the field, and when asked about it once, he said, "Hey. If you look sloppy, you play sloppy."

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
Seems to me you would have a better practice if you take the time to primp yourself up a little, as opposed to showing up in something you pulled out of the laundry hamper. There used to be a ballplayer down here, played for the Padres, can't remember who it was, but he was always known for his immaculate appearance on the field, and when asked about it once, he said, "Hey. If you look sloppy, you play sloppy."

I think Billy Bean said that =)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This was actually way before Billy Bean; it was someone on the 83 or 84 World Series team, I think. If it was actually a Padre at all; once I posted that, it then occured to me, you know, it may have been one of the Chargers. It would have been sometime between 80 an d 84, whoever said it.

FLASH!! (Must be the lightning storm we're having!!) No! It was Kellen Winslow (Sr.), who played for the Chargers in the early 80s. "You look sloppy, you play sloppy." Winslow. Now I remember!! :clap: :clap:

S

SkateFan4Life

JonnyCoop said:

Well said! Similarily, when you dress professionally for work, you look professional, and you probably perform better than if you rolled out of bed and threw on crappy, wrinkled rags. :biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Well said! Similarily, when you dress professionally for work, you look professional, and you probably perform better than if you rolled out of bed and threw on crappy, wrinkled rags. :biggrin:

And yet some ice dancers go out there and skate terifically despite wearing costumes that pretty near qualify as that.... :laugh: Go figure.....

S

SkateFan4Life

JonnyCoop said:
And yet some ice dancers go out there and skate terifically despite wearing costumes that pretty near qualify as that.... :laugh: Go figure.....

I agree with you! :agree: I can't understand the logic behind some of the costume choices -- egads -- but I suppose that some of the costumes were selected by coaches, parents, choregraphers, and/or the skaters. There's just no accounting for taste! :rofl: