Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The Men's Surprise

  1. #1
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185

    The Men's Surprise

    Tommy Steenberg in first place after the Short over Uspenski

    Joe

  2. #2
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Dover, NH
    Posts
    63
    Very nice, especially with no American judge. But did you see who the technical specialist was? I didn't realize she was still involved in the sport.

  3. #3
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I just learned that there are two Uspenskis. Siblings.

    How does one find out the judges and the Caller. What do I click on?

    Joe

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Technical specialist for the men's comp. is Ms. Anett POETZSCH-RAUSCHENBACH. Supposedly the ISU has recruited many past Olympic and World medalists to be callers, which may or may not be a good thing, necessarily...

    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    How does one find out the judges and the Caller. What do I click on?
    "Panel of Judges" at http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpest2005/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-16-2005 at 01:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Thanks Sylvia - They actually give the nationalities of the judges but, of course, who scored what is still secret.

    Joe

  6. #6
    GOLDEN DREAMS RealtorGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    Technical specialist for the men's comp. is Ms. Anett POETZSCH-RAUSCHENBACH. Supposedly the ISU has recruited many past Olympic and World medalists to be callers, which may or may not be a good thing, necessarily...
    Wow! Talk about a name from the past! I think that's very interesting.

  7. #7
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    Supposedly the ISU has recruited many past Olympic and World medalists to be callers, which may or may not be a good thing, necessarily...
    I have wondered about that policy, too. Who makes the better technical specialist, a former outstanding skater or someone who has come up through the "judging ranks?"

  8. #8
    In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle at last!!!
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I have wondered about that policy, too. Who makes the better technical specialist, a former outstanding skater or someone who has come up through the "judging ranks?"
    I would think a former skater; they would know more what to look for in regards to technique, etc, because they've actually DONE this stuff. As an example, former Canadian judge (and Olympic medallist in Pairs) Suzanne Morrow Francis was the only judge on the panel in Calgary who noticed that Elena Valova, during a death spiral, did NOT in fact have the edge of her skate on the ice, but was in fact riding along the side of her boot. Being familar with the technique of the death spiral made Ms. Francis notice right off that something was way off.

    And in regards to Ms. Poetzch-Rauschenbach; Mandy Woetzel used to skate with a guy named Axel Rauschenbach; any relation? (Sticks in my head there was a Claudia Rauschenbach floating around for a while, too, but I might be wrong about that one)

  9. #9
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    Anett POETZSCH-RAUSCHENBACH

    Anett POETZSCH-RAUSCHENBACH was married to Katarina's brother also named Axel but then they divorced. She has a daughter, Claudia, with him who skated pairs with Robin SZOLKOWY but wasn't very good and the partnership dissolved sometime after 2000 Jr. Worlds.

  10. #10
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Meagan Leigh
    Anett POETZSCH-RAUSCHENBACH was married to Katarina's brother also named Axel but then they divorced. She has a daughter, Claudia, with him who skated pairs with Robin SZOLKOWY but wasn't very good and the partnership dissolved sometime after 2000 Jr. Worlds.
    I presume you mean that Claudia wasn't very good. Robin, imo, is a top contender in Pairs.

    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •