Mira Leung | Golden Skate

Mira Leung

passion

On the Ice
Mira is a very talented Canadian skater. She has incredible flexibility (comparable to Sasha's) and is a fantastic jumping bean. She has made great strides in her skating. I really do think she has a chance at making it to World's this year. What do others think?

Taan

On the Ice
she has great potential. but right now she is all jumps and no finesse. sorry! she needs to focus on artistry. then again after phaneuf's disaster at worlds it could happen.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
After hearing so much about how great she was, I was eager to see her for myself. I final saw her on TV this year (I THINK it was Jr. Worlds but I'm not positive), and I was so disappointed. Her jumping technique was kinda scary looking, rather jarring, and her presentation was non-existant. Perhaps she has improved over the summer, but I wouldn't expect to see her at Worlds this year, not at the senior level. I think there would have to be major meltdowns at Canadians from Cynthia and Joannie for Mira to even have a chance. But now I've gone and tempted the skategods so who knows what will happen?

boggartlaura

On the Ice
She's the most awful senior skater I have ever seen. I've seen juveniles with better stroking and spins than her.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
I love her skating. But maybe that's just cuz I saw her when she was six at regionals and my sister and I made bets (for no real thing) that she'd make it to senior Nationals at least, so we were just so excited to see her there LOL

havanamesa1

Rinkside
She definitely has potential, but the last time I saw her perform, she was far from having the 'complete package.' I hope the summer has done wonders for her. It should be interesting to see the Canadian nats this year.

We'll have a good chance to see her early. She is scheduled for both of the first two Grand Prix events, Skate America and Skate Canada.

Passion, welcome to Golden Skate, and thanks for posting!

Mathman :)

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
We'll have a good chance to see her early. She is scheduled for both of the first two Grand Prix events, Skate America and Skate Canada.

Passion, welcome to Golden Skate, and thanks for posting!

Mathman :)

Well...that's IF they show her skate on tv...and I hope they do. I have never seen her skate, and am now really curious.

screech

Final Flight
She is nothing spectacular. She has consistent jumps, but they're sometimes cheated. Her flexibility at first glance is Sasha-ish, but then you see in her spirals her leg is to the side a bit and not directly behind her, which makes it a bit easier. Her spins aren't superb, and don't even get me started on her supposed "skating skills".

If she would focus on the basic aspects of skating, like stroking, posture, body movement... it may be a bit better, but as of right now, she does absolutely nothing for me.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Whoa!!!! Hold your horses people. I am seeing some rather derogatory statements here. This really is a new kid on the block we are talking about. She made her debut last season and I liked what I saw - raw talent. Of course, she needs time to develop. She is a gutsy skater - which is what we need in the women's discipline. We can't just rely on Joannie Roachette to carry the ball the way we did Liz Manley and Jennifer Robinson in the past. Let's give Mira a chance to show her stuff!! I am hoping to see her. Thumbs up for Mira.

:thumbsup:

passion

On the Ice
Thank you for the welcome, Mathman.

She isn't exactly newbie. This will be her fourth season in senior nationals, although she did start out awfully early. (From my understanding, she went directly from prenovice to senior). Her standings have improved drastically - 14th to 5th to 3rd. If she could just squeak her way into first or second this year!

It seems that people are not impressed by various aspects of her skating. If this is the case, why is it that she did so well at senior nationals? I mean, the judges must have liked her.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Passion, every FS board has its distinct flavor. On GS, people are generally less impressed with jumps, and look more toward presentation (which is too often not the case with the judges), and even the nuances such as clean edges. I think the answers reflect this.

bdreampixie

On the Ice
passion said:
It seems that people are not impressed by various aspects of her skating. If this is the case, why is it that she did so well at senior nationals? I mean, the judges must have liked her.

You know I wonder this myself. What is it that the judges see in her? She has horrible basic skating, bad posture, she stretches her neck out very awkardly before going into jumps and spins. She falls out of spins, lands her jumps at a stand still, has no flow. I mean, really, it's a disaster. What are the judges thinking. Amanda Billings with three falls should be able to beat a clean Mira.

I feel bad for Mira because she does seem to love skating, but I think her coach is probably not the best for her. Her coach is always complaining about Mira being robbed instead of helping her improve the problem areas.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
Whoa!!!! Hold your horses people. I am seeing some rather derogatory statements here. This
:thumbsup:

I personally didn't see it this way. Posters just got a bit creative, that's all. I did notice, however, that you tend to take any slight criticism directed towards Canadian skaters very personally. People are allowed to state things on this board that they find not too impressive about the skaters. Mira is one of them.

I personally would like to add: please, somebody help her in the fashion department! did anybody see the potato sack she wore at the Nationals? Ouch.

Nothing personal - just an observation.

Yana

passion

On the Ice
Pitchka, thanks for pointing that out to me. I, too, think those are very important aspects of skating and I look forward to reading other threads.

The Bielmann spin that Mira does is better than the one Irina Slutskia does. I think she has better flexibility in that department.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Mira's Biellmann is better than Irina's, but still not close to Lucinda Ruh's or Denise's. I'd like to see how she gets into the position--does she struggle mightily like Irina, or is it an easy transition.

I haven't seen Mira skate yet, so can't offer an opinion. But at SA, she's competing against Onda, Kwan, Cohen, Sokolova and Sebestyen, and you know ABC will show BeBe Liang's performance, so it's unlikely we'll see her there. At Skate Canada, she faces Rochette, Phaneuf, Kostner, Suguri and Poykio, and if Alissa Czisny skates the way she did at Skate America, Mira may not get air time there, either.

I think the judges mark her high at Canadian Nationals because she is the next up-and-comer, sort of like the Kimmie Meissner of Canada. After the dismal showing of the Canadian girls so far at the JGP, maybe it's a good thing the Canadian judges want to encourage Mira. Skate Canada dumped Amelie LaCoste from JGP Montreal because she only finished 5th at Skate Slovakia, but that was one tough competition, with Yu-Na Kim, Aki Sawada, Elene Gedevanishvili and Katy Taylor. A fifth place there was an achievement.

Last edited:

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
I imagine she gets into the beillmann easily. I remember thinking she had a good one when I saw it..., I will have to check my files... (PS I have wmv files of her skating I can put onto You Send It, so if anyone wants one of these please PM me)

She's been doing that Beillmann forever as it was one of the things that I remember stood out about her program at regionals when she was really little.