Dancing With The Stars Marathon | Golden Skate

Dancing With The Stars Marathon

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I watched this, since I missed the show on first-run and if there's one thing I'll watch as obsessively as ice dance, it's ballroom. And, okay, maybe it's because I just finished rereading "The Second Mark" but my reaction to the finale was "The fix is in! Where's the French judge?" I'm sorry, but while that Kelly chick's last routine was good, her footwork was 'eh'. Yes, the backbend off the steps was impressive, but that's gymnastics, not dancing. (Heck, in a real ballroom competition there wouldn't BE steps.) In what was supposed to be unison side-by-side footwork, her partner (the ballroom pro) was doing far more than she was. Whereas the other couple might not have had the STUNT difficulty, this is not pairs skating--lasso lifts should not be necessary in ballroom, even freestyle. They had a well-choreographed, well-danced program that told a clever, self-referential story and showed off some real skills on HIS (the celebrity who's really the one being judged) part. No, it did not have quite the same degree of difficulty on the lifts, but it's bad enough skating is sometimes All About the Stunts, let's keep ballroom out of that! That PO'd me on the Viennese Waltz, too--their spotlight dances were basically all lift tricks that have squat to do with a well-executed waltz.