2005-2006 ABC/ESPN Broadcast Schedule (U.S. Only) | Golden Skate

2005-2006 ABC/ESPN Broadcast Schedule (U.S. Only)

nymkfan51

Medalist
There may be a few mistakes here already that I can see.
If you notice, they list a tape date and an air date for each comp. For the Dec.11 and Apr 15 Marshall's events, the tape and air dates are the same for each one. This is bizarre, considering they have never shown these events the same day they took place.
Also ... for the Apr.15th one, there are 2 COI shows scheduled in Wash. DC that day. So I'm making a guess here that the date of the Marshalls event is wrong.

I emailed the usfsa this morning to ask about this ... I will let you know if I hear anything back from them.

This list will be confusing for some who are only interested in certain disciplines.

On Oct 23rd, I think it will be Mens with a conversation about the Short; and Pairs
On Oct 24th, I think it will be Ladies Short and Orig Dance
On Oct 30th, I think it will be Ladies Free and Free Dance.
and the Exhibition dates are so confusing and who caress if we can't have the competition? This sport is being reduced to tacky show.

Don't take me seriously, I'm just guessing.

Best Bet is to go to Heathers TV Schedule for disciplines for all the Grand Prix and evertthing else.

Joe

Last edited:

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Skate America Exhibition

The Skate America Exhibitions will be broadcast for the first time in quite a while. Does anyone remember the last time they showed that? I think it was back in the mid 90s, maybe 95-96 or so. Its only one hour, I wish they'd show all of it.

tripleflutz

Last edited:
tripleflutz said:
The Skate America Exhibitions will be broadcast for the first time in quite a while. Does anyone remember the last time they showed that? I think it was back in the mid 90s, maybe 95-96 or so. Its only one hour, I wish they'd show all of it. tripleflutz
tripleflutz - While I understand your love for show skating, there are some of us, and me in particular who look at the sport as the most important aspect of figure skating.

Two slots for the exhibitions while the competition is squeezed into 3 slots and showing just a minimal amount of Mens, Pairs, and Dance. You know how much of competition you will see. :cry: You will only see the Americans in the competition and only if they do well - and you will see them again in the exhibitions doing just about the same things with different music.

But if you are among the Kwan/Cohen limited interest in skating fans, then this schedule is for you. You will not see the international skaters unless they win.

The above is just my take on what to expect.

Joe

Spirit

On the Ice
I thought I read last year that ABC / ESPN was dropping figure skating coverage because of low ratings. Did I dream that?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Maybe, ESPN hopes that there will be more interest this year, as things lead up to Olys. Their contract with the ISU is still on, so they should get something for their 5 million a year. Also, I read somewhere that ESPN did not sign with the NHL to show hockey games, so they might have room for skating. There is also the possiblity that someone is planning to "renew interest" some other way -- like framing one skater for whacking another,

I think most people have ESPN and if not they can visit a friend who does.

I don't need the competition on ABC. I'll see it on cable. They could show the tape of the competition for each discipline on one night each. the Short and the Long or the Original and Free Dance. That would be 4 nights of skating TV. How horrible is that for the network? Maybe there is time for fluff, too.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

I don't need the competition on ABC. I'll see it on cable. They could show the tape of the competition for each discipline on one night each. the Short and the Long or the Original and Free Dance. That would be 4 nights of skating TV. How horrible is that for the network? Maybe there is time for fluff, too.

Joe

How many total hours would that add up to, and is it the same amount that ESPN is choosing to dedicate to FS this year?

(if not, if it is more, than I can't see how it would be practical, because they've got other events/sports to show. Save the extended FS coverage for the future makeshift Ice Channel.)

But, if so, then yes, that might be a good thing for skating fans. The product should be for the SKATING fans, not the soap opera fans.

Jhar55

Medalist
We should be happy were getting any skating at all.
Who needs the fluff there's not much we don't already know about the skaters that we "need" to know, I don't need to see the new kitty or puppy, new car, I say skip the fluff and just show the skating.
Yes, if you have cable ESPN is no problem but there are some who don't have cable / dish.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
While I'm glad that skating hasn't been totally given up on yet and is still showing the competitions on TV, it really does make it hard for people like me who do not have cable nor any access to it to watch now. I'm probably one of the most faithful fans there is (if its skating on TV, I'll watch it, LOL) and I can't see just about anything anymore. That's a bit frustrating but hey, at least I have Rinkside now! That will help a lot this year if I can at least see my faves. :rock:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Now all I have to do is wait For NBC to get their Olympic schedule up so I can see when skating is on (Probably primetime) . Then I can get my tapes ready

I'm so excited :biggrin:

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:

Joe

Actually many people don't have espn, and they are very dependent on ABC. It is not always easy to go to someone else's place to watch. I do have espn but I know others that don't and they don't come to my place to watch, even though I invite them to. On week days in particular it is VERY difficult to go somewhere in the evening. People have to go to work; myself included.

Vash01 said:
Actually many people don't have espn, and they are very dependent on ABC. It is not always easy to go to someone else's place to watch. I do have espn but I know others that don't and they don't come to my place to watch, even though I invite them to. On week days in particular it is VERY difficult to go somewhere in the evening. People have to go to work; myself included.
Sorry Vash for pushing ESPN. I didn't ask for ESPN when I went cable because it came with the cable connection. That is a problem for fans who do not have ESPN. Well, what can we do? I think we have to face the problem of not enough interest in figure skating in the US.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
I'll watch it on TV if I get a chance, but I really prefer to download foreign coverage and that's how I will be watching my skating.

Thanks euterpe for the quick link.

Soogar, you are lucky to have a computer for downloading what I'm not going to see on american tv.

Joe