Who Is Criticized The Most In The Forums? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who Is Criticized The Most In The Forums?

Which one of these skaters gets the most criticism from skating fans?

• Sarah Hughes

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Tara Lipinski

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 43 26.4%
  • Sasha Cohen

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • Irina Slutskaya

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other Female Skater Not Listed Here

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Emanuel Sandhu

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Other Male Skater

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • A Pairs or Dance Team

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
Actually, many of the posts that make this point are not criticisms of Irina at all, IMHO. Either the remarks are intended to criticize the ISU for elevating this particular trick in the CoP, or else to congratulate Irina for being savvy enough to max out her points.

This is just another example of how Irina gets criticized. She can do nothing right on this board. When Michelle and Sasha are criticized, it is either well meaning or out of frustration (e.g. why didn't MK do a 3-3, or why can't Sasha skate clean?). No matter what Irina does, it is criticized.

Some people like the Biellman spin; others hate it. It still remains one of the most difficult positions in spin, and now in a COE spiral. The straight leg spiral is esthetically more pleasing (and is the one I prefer) but the Biellman spiral has difficulty- holding the edge without the support of the arms. I would not blame the ISU or Irina, although I would prefer seeing more variation in positions on the spirals.

Vash, your points on Irina are well taken, but despite the criticisms of Irina, I am almost 100 % positive that competitively speaking this Forum sees her as the winner. The rest is esthetics

Joe

IDLERACER

Medalist
I never criticize anybody. I admire Sarah's ambidexterousness. She skates left handed but apparently signs her autograph right handed. Click HERE :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
I never criticize anybody. I admire Sarah's ambidexterousness. She skates left handed but apparently signs her autograph right handed. Click HERE :biggrin:

Interesting. But for some reason, I never assumed she was left handed just because she spins/jumps clockwise instead of the other way around.

Is there a connection between being left/right handed and spinning a certain way? The curiosity is getting the better of me.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Interesting. But for some reason, I never assumed she was left handed just because she spins/jumps clockwise instead of the other way around.

Is there a connection between being left/right handed and spinning a certain way? The curiosity is getting the better of me.

No, any relation is coincidence(sp?). My sister was left-handed but jumped counter-clockwise. Then I had a friend that was left-handed and jumped clockwise. And then I had another friend that was right-handed but jumped clockwise. And I'm right-handed and jump counter-clockwise. As far as I know, and my coach has said the same thing, they are virtually unrelated.

CDMM1991 said:
No, any relation is coincidence(sp?). My sister was left-handed but jumped counter-clockwise. Then I had a friend that was left-handed and jumped clockwise. And then I had another friend that was right-handed but jumped clockwise. And I'm right-handed and jump counter-clockwise. As far as I know, and my coach has said the same thing, they are virtually unrelated.
I bat a baseball and play golf leftie; I write rightie although I can switch hands. I'm most comfortable dancing to the right but skate to the left,

QUESTION: Do you see a crazed mind here? :scratch:

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I bat a baseball and play golf leftie; I write rightie although I can switch hands. I'm most comfortable dancing to the right but skate to the left,

Joe

I'm very similar. I write left-handed but I do many other things "right-handedly". For example I can't use left-handed clubs but I eat (hold a fork with) with my left hand, etc. Very odd.

Kuchana

On the Ice
I would say a tie between Sasha and Michelle here with Michelle in general getting the most criticism in a bad way I may add (i.e. FSW). Hey, I've been guilty myself of criticizing Sasha so I'm trying to control that:p :)

Last edited:

elv

Rinkside
I think TT/MM. Because all around close eyes to their wonderful qualities and try to find something bad. Poor skaters. Unfortunately i love them.

guinevere

Final Flight
Michael Weiss!

MK, Sasha, and Tara get tons of criticism, but I think that a lot of the criticism is from people who just dislike that particluar skater compared to one of the other two, therefore criticism turns into fan fight frenzies, and ultimately most of it cancels itself out, IMO.

Also, those 3 ladies has tons (tons!) of fans who will jump in and defend their favorites. With Weiss, it seems like everyone criticizes him. His fans don't pretend he's perfect, so the criticism often isn't really rebutted.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I think that Sasha Cohen receives the most for the women. In past years for the men it has definitely been Sandhu but this season Weir seems to be taking the heat.

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
There was a thread about him that I read earlier. I don't know whether it was here at GS or at FSU. But anyway, some people really rag on him for being inconsistent/unpredictable (think about Sasha). I included him because I think he creates a lot of "frustrated fans". (like Sasha, again.)

Or it could just be because of those hideous pants that he gets criticized....

Red Dog - Just think if the Houston whatever and the NY Times could vote there would be 2 more against Kwan. Where's that too much MK hype you talk about?

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My vote was for Sasha. To me there is a difference between constructive criticsm and cruelty.

Dee

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I voted Michelle Kwan, because she seems to be the most controversal being around so long. But I think it really depends on the person.

I think popular skaters like Michelle, Sasha and Irina, face criticism, but it is balanced by a lot of praise as well. I think the two skaters who never seem to catch a break are Tara Lipinski and Michael Weiss.

MissCleo

On the Ice
I chose Irina. A lot of comments about her seems to be " I like Irina's [whatever], but.......", you know, backhanded compliments. I dont see as many Irina's fans compared to Sasha or Michelle. Or perhaps Irina fans dont voice their opinion as loud and as often on this forum.