Contact Congress for Tanith | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Contact Congress for Tanith

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
orchid said:
Honey, I mean Hockey......., I never said my Senator cannot multitask, I said I hope he spends his time with REAL concerns. You can read the old posts to confirm this.

x
You may not think so, but I believe that this legislation is about REAL concerns -- there are scientists, mathematicians, and doctors who are in INS limbo at the moment because the original legislation to change the requirements was botched and did not contain a grandfather clause.

There's also a lot of hurry up and wait in the legislative process, and working on fairly simple and direct legislation (or amendments) in the meantime is a perfectly good use of legislator's time. Much better than photo ops, in my opinion.

S

SkateFan4Life

Despite everything that we say and write, the bottom line is that the Olympics are less than six months away. Given the s-l-o-w way in which the wheels of government rotate, it seems highly unlikely that Tanith will receive her dual US citizenship in a timely manner so that she and Ben can compete at the Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Despite everything that we say and write, the bottom line is that the Olympics are less than six months away. Given the s-l-o-w way in which the wheels of government rotate, it seems highly unlikely that Tanith will receive her dual US citizenship in a timely manner so that she and Ben can compete at the Olympics.

My sentiments exactly- I couldn't have said it better. Anyway, she's supposed to get her citizenship soon anyway- just not in time for the Olympics! But she and her partner seem content that they will go for 2010.

And I've already said what I think of this whole process in another post.

Here is an article about about it that appeared in this morning's Detroit Free Press (Jo-ann Barnas).

http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/olympics28e_20050928.htm

It gives some information in support of the position that this is not a special favor just for Tanith, but rather a "correction" to a legislative snafu that affects several thousand applicants for citizenship.

It also mentions that it would be helpful to Tanith's case if we write emails supporting the rule change to Tanith's lawyer, Barney Skladany (love the name -- talk about Irish blarney!) at

[email protected]

MM

Edited to add: Heavens to Betsy, the name "Skladany" isn't Irish after all. It's Slovakian. :yes:

Last edited: