Comparing yourself to others | Golden Skate

Comparing yourself to others

passion

On the Ice
Do you compare yourself to other skaters? Do you get down on yourself about why you can't jump, skate, present, and learn as fast as other skaters? How do you deal with this?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I compare myself to people with great lawns and I am brutal! :laugh: I'm not a skater, but that trait is just human. If someone doesn't admit to having done that, they are either in denial or senselessly and visciously mutilating truth.

It's only natural to compare your skating to the skating of others. Skating is a sport based on comparing competitors. No new judging system is going to do away with that entirely. Read any thread discussing a competition, every program is compared to the others. It's Michelle vs Irina vs Sasha vs... In a sport without homeruns or touchdowns that's just the way it is.

I am sure there are skaters on this board, who might be able to give you good advice on coping with it and focusing on your goals. I would think a good first step is to accept that the comparisons from yourself and others are a part of the game. It's the beating up part that has to be overcome. Perhaps talking to more experienced skaters at your rink or even a sports psychologist might help.

Good Luck!

millie

Medalist
passion said:
Do you compare yourself to other skaters? Do you get down on yourself about why you can't jump, skate, present, and learn as fast as other skaters? How do you deal with this?

Not only in skating, but in other aspect of your life, all you can do is your best. Don't compare your self to others, but do the best you can do. Like I tell by boys(young men) just concentrate on what you are doing yourself and don't compare yourself to others. In the end you will be the best that you can be.

Happy skating.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I'm a competitive skater, and have undoubtedly battled comparisons by others and by myself. I just try to compare myself to myself and work towards improvement and personal achievement rather than placement or my skating in comparison to others. You'll never be truly happy with your skating if your always comparing because there will always be some one better. Just try to focus on yourself, work hard, and have a good time with your skating:)

S

SkateFan4Life

The only person you have control over is yourself. You are an original, and nobody can skate the way you do. If you spend a great deal of time comparing yourself to others, you're setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment and angst, as there will always be others who skate better than you do. Why waste your time worrying about what the others accomplish on the ice - just go out there and do your best. I'm sure you have the dedication and talent to take your skating as far as you possibly can. I hope you enjoy the ride and make the most of your time on skates. :biggrin:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

lulu

Final Flight
I think it is very natural to compare yourself to other people, even if figure skating is not your focus. Especially if there already is a lot of emphesis on getting the the attention, the awards the money etc.

Sometimes having a healthy sense of competition is good-it might push you to try new things, or to maybe work harder.

On the otherhand, if a person spends their entire life comparing themselves to others-they're never going to be happy. There are also plenty of people who work extremely hard at their skating, and just don't get the results.

The most important thing is that your happy with you're skating. Make specific goals for yourself iregardless of what others are doing.
And most importantly, take pride in your hard work, you deserve it. :rock:

Last edited:
Passion, I moved this thread here to the Lutz Corner, where skaters meet to discuss their own skating. I think you will get more responses here.

Mathman :)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Do you get down on yourself about why you can't jump, skate, present, and learn as fast as other skaters?
At my age I'm just glad I'm out there on skates! :yes:

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
I have a hard time comparing myself to others-I'm one-of-a kind! There are not too many skaters that started at 42! I usually don't worry about it because all it does is stress you out! I'm glad I can do what I do and press onward.:rock:

passion

On the Ice
Thanks everybody for your responses.

Mathman, I noticed you moved the thread. I'm a newbie. Thanks for your patience.

and Delaware, you made me laugh!

A skating peer at my club told me, "Hey! I don't know any thirty year olds learning doubles for the first time"...and I can achieve the Bielmann position in a straight line which I learnt only a few years ago. So, I geuss I'm another one of a kind.

Last edited:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
All. The. Time. Sometimes, I watch my coaches (one of whom is the same age as me--okay, he's older by about three weeks) or this guy at the rink who's ten years younger than me and has these huge jumps and great spins and deep edges and think, "Wow. I suck." Then I remind myself I've been skating about eight months and should be impressed that I'm ready to test two of the preliminary dances and am a crappy back inside edge away from pre-pre moves. Other times I watch some of the other people at the rink and think, "Wow, I'm pretty good." Then I remind myself I'm as much as fifty-odd years younger than some of them, still have a huge amount of strength, flexibility and power they don't, and I fall on my a$$ more than they do, too. (Note to new guy who was doing zamboni training today: do not track dirt on the ice when you clean up the snow at the door. When blade hits dirt, bad things happen. Fortunately my knee seems to be just strained, nothing more serious.)

Comparisons can be useful, but you can get obsessed with them too. I'm obsessive-prone, so I try to stay focused on my skating and not think about what other people are doing.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well I just got back into group lessons and I was considerably better than the other adults, some of whom have been skating in group lessons for as long or longer than I have. I was just zooming around them showing off my back crossovers which are getting better and better.

At the beginning of the summer, I made the mistake of taking a power class with the kids and because I was an adult I was lumped with the teenagers. I could barely do crossovers at that point and these teens were flying. I told the instructor to put me with the 6 year olds and they were still better. It helped a lot because even though I never went back, I worked on my crossovers a lot this summer and they are getting really good. I'm confident that in another year, I'll be able to hang with the 6 year olds, which is a good thing.

It's good to skate with a variety of people. I'm better than a lot of adults who have been skating for the same time as I have so it's easy to fall in a rut of sort and rest on your laurels. On the other hand, if I have to skate exclusively with the kids I would feel really bad about myself. There was this little kid who was doing easy double axels on public session (the session was empty) and I felt so heavy, ugly and awkward skating with this kid. I was really envious and wished I could get some pop in my waltz jump (let alone go into an easy double axel).

One time I saw a woman who had really nice edges. I asked her how long she had been skating and she had only been skating for 3 months. It made me sit up and take notice and work like crazy on my edges and it has paid off in terms of my crossovers.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Comparing kids

I'm not a skater only a parent of a skater and I am wondering how you stay away from comparing one skater to another skater? It is so hard sitting up in the stands and watching all these kids who compete against one another. These kids are young and I think they are just themselves realizing that he or she can do some things better than them. I have a hard time myself trying not to compare my kid to someone elses kid. How do you motivate your:cool: :eek:hwell: young skater to think about themselves and forget about their friends?

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
While I don't "compare" my skills against other skaters, I'd be stupid not to acknowledge those that are better (much) than I am...or worse for that matter. What I love to do is ask someone (who is better at something than me) for help on a particular thing. For example, the other day I asked a 10-year-old to show me how to shoot-the-duck (not required as an adult element). She was very accomodating and an excellent teacher. This young girl is a better jumper and spinner than I am, and has her sit spin (which I won't have for 10 years at the rate I'm going)....But, I will keep plucking along!

I realize that there are some things that take me longer than others. I can do some things better than some of the skaters at my rink. I have a very good spiral and can go almost a whole lap in position with it. I'm a better spinner than my cohort, while he is a much better jumper:rock: .

That's as far as I take the comparison game.

Figureskates

On the Ice
As a nearly 60 year-old adult male skater, I stay away from comparing myself to other skaters. There is just no common ground between myself and someone who is a half, a third or a quarter my age.

I am just glad I can get out on the ice and have fun...period.

Dutch Skater

Rinkside
I do compare myself to other skaters.. But its a motivation for me to see them do things better, becouse i'm like.. I have to go work on that to be better!
So the fact that other skaters are better than me only gives me positive energie :cool:

I

IcyBallerina

I compare myself to other skaters, but not to fluff my ego (at least I try not to). I look to see what I can do to improve.

princess-ice

Rinkside
From a young skater's view....

I have to watch other skaters. Especially those more talented than myself. Unfortunately at my rink we don't have many skaters above my level (last season I skated Preliminary and I'll be moving up again next season) so I'm always watching other skaters on the internet, skating videos, etc. :)

I think comparing yourself to other skaters in just part of the sport. If Sasha does Bielmanns and get higher CoP, then other skaters will copy. If a 10 year old Juvenile girl does a 2Axel in Regionals, then other competitive skaters will try to step up their game. When I started the season with a 2toe-2toe combination, other skaters (at later competitions) tried to put double combos in their programs.

For myself, I'm always comparing myself to skaters 4-6 years more advanced than I am. I'm very competitive and I always want to do my best.
:biggrin:

popeye-blade

Rinkside
U shouldnt compare urself with other skaters since the whole point of the new system is to judge ur personal best skates,
But for arguements sake if u were to judge ur self against another skater,
think about years skating,( whos had more experience), amount of practise time,
body class, ( some skaters are just stronger in the legs or more flexible ), and determination.

But like everything in skating there are those few who can defy gravity and rotate triple jumps from 2 inches off the ice, and then there are those who jump 4 feet and only rotate the double, there are also those who can spin for ever and those who struggle to get in their 4 rotations,.

Like everything in life its just time, effort, and practise.

-Popeye:agree: