Final Lineup Confirmed for Campbell's Classic | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Final Lineup Confirmed for Campbell's Classic

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
From my view, it seems that Sasha lands her jumps with the free foot very close to the landing foot and then there is a swoosh to follow through. I wouldn't say she actually double foots them because to me it is not as clear as Oksana who double foots like the most of anyone.

I would give Sasha the benefit of the doubt but I will look closer this season.

Joe

One thing Sasha does have is a beautiful air position in her jumps - her feet are cross tightly and pointed in the text book perfect way, because of this she has to be careful to get that free leg checking early in her jumps to show the judges she's not using the free to land...to be honest this is the first i've heard of her two-footing jumps and even though it pays to make it clear to the judges that you're not doing it, there are usually tell tale signs if you do eg snow flying up from an odd angle from the touch down of the free toe.

Ant

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Sasha's 2 footed jumps

At Nationals, Sasha did not 2-foot a jump in the SP (hand-down lutz, BARELY tipped forward but otherwise clean landing on flip, tippled forward 2axel).
In her Nats LP, she put her hand down on the 3loop (underrotated), and fell on her 2nd 3lutz, (underrotated and clearly 2-footed).

At Moscow Worlds, she 2-footed her second 2 toe in her 3z/2t/2t combo (and also fell on 3loop, other than that the rest of her QR was clean). In her SP, she 2-footed her 3flip and had the usual tilted-forward landing on her 2axel.

In her SP, she again 2 footed her 2toe in her 3f/2t/2t. And of course she had that pitched forward and turn out landing on her second 3flip (no 2-footing clearly b/c her free leg was fighting to keep her balance) and that step out on her 3sal in sequence w/ 3toe.

I guess the EASIEST way to tell is to magnify her boots landing on the ice. :)

In the spring Marshall's Invitational, Sasha could hardly jump at all because she had sustained an injury in COI practice the week before. She was rightly proud of herself for sucking it up and giving the Marshall's audience her best effort, using dazzling spirals and spins to offset the double-footed jumps.

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
In the spring Marshall's Invitational, Sasha could hardly jump at all because she had sustained an injury in COI practice the week before. She was rightly proud of herself for sucking it up and giving the Marshall's audience her best effort, using dazzling spirals and spins to offset the double-footed jumps.

MM

That's quite an accomplishment for her. If she's happy with her effort then good for her.

The real challenge for her, and all the skaters, is next season. It's been three years, and we've had all sorts of surprises, blind corners, and of course some obviously predictable competitions. Placements have been all over the place except for the American ladies. Now next season it's a sprint to the finish. Who can maximize the point system the best? Who can perform their program the best, when the moment is right?

I'd say look for some more surprises. Of course, if Irina is going to continue to dominate like last year, it's no fun anymore.

JMO.

VINluvsKwan, I appreciate your knowlegable posts here. Thanks for joining us.

Mathman :cool:

PS. I mean "knowledgeable" -- sorry, GrGranny. :laugh:

Last edited:
brad640 said:
The best thing about Emily is that she owns her skating and has personal conviction unlike Kimmie who looks like she has no feeling behind her eyes and is a pawn of Pam Gregory, and not in a good way like Sarah and Robyn.
What a strange remark. Granted, Kimmie needs a little more mascara to give her eyes greater conviction and feeling, but still...

Here she is with evil puppet-master Pam (as opposed to good puppet-master Robyn).

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2005/oct/Meissner,K-02lg.jpg

Mathman ;)

Red Dog said:
That's a great shot of Kimmie- have you got any more?

ETA: Actually never mind- I found the whole database (hehe...)
Red Dog, don't tell me you've found a skater you can be a fan of!

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Kimmie will win it all with a quad axel and new Level 4 mascara!

Sasha will come in third because of brown mascara, which we all know is not as fabulous as black mascara....

..Michelle will come in last because she left her mascara at home and was only able to borrow cheap Wet 'n Wild mascara dissappointing all her fans :no: ( :cry: Michelle how could you?!)

soogar

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
What a strange remark. Granted, Kimmie needs a little more mascara to give her eyes greater conviction and feeling, but still...

Here she is with evil puppet-master Pam (as opposed to good puppet-master Robyn).

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2005/oct/Meissner,K-02lg.jpg

Mathman ;)

I agree with Brad's remark about Kimmie. Kimmie looks like she's just going through the motions. Even though she landed all of her jumps at Nats, there was no spark of happiness in her eyes. Emily on the other hand SPARKLES on the ice. I downloaded a program from Easterns (or sectionals, before nats) and Emily took such a hard fall on a jump in the middle of her program. Her feet seemed to miss the ice and she landed on her side and you can practictically hear the thud as her hip connected to the ice. She got right back up and one second later had the biggest smile on her face (which extended to her eyes) and was selling the next section of music and nailed the next two jumps. I know that if it were me, my eyes would have been tearing from pain with that kind of fall and most other skaters would not have composed themselves. I think that girl is a very special skater and person to be able to do that.

Also Emily's puppetmaster is Nathan Birch, not eville Robin Wagner.
:p

bdreampixie said:
Kimmie will win it all with a quad axel and new Level 4 mascara!

Sasha will come in third because of brown mascara, which we all know is not as fabulous as black mascara....

..Michelle will come in last because she left her mascara at home and was only able to borrow cheap Wet 'n Wild mascara dissappointing all her fans :no: ( :cry: Michelle how could you?!)
But at the last minute Michelle :love: finds her artificial lashes and wins in a rout!

http://www.atlantamakeupartist.com/lashes/michelle-lashes.jpg

Not to be outdone, Tanith :love: grabs the eye shadow...

http://www.belbin-agosto.net/4images/data/media/78/48.jpg

Last edited:
soogar said:
...Emily on the other hand SPARKLES on the ice...
I quite agree. Emily has a kind of innocent joyfulness about her skating, win or lose -- like she's just tickled to pieces to be out there doing what she loves.

This is not, however, a putdown of Kimmie. Kimmie has plenty of time to develop her own on-ice personality (after she gets that triple Axel down pat, LOL.)

Mathman

Eeyora

Final Flight
Beautiful pic of Michelle mathman.

I agree Shizuka may does have a good chance. I am not counting her out at all this season.

brad640

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Kimmie has plenty of time to develop her own on-ice personality (after she gets that triple Axel down pat, LOL.)
:rofl: that's what Timmy said about the quad and we are still waiting for him to get a personality!

brad640

On the Ice
soogar said:
Also Emily's puppetmaster is Nathan Birch, not eville Robin Wagner.
:p

Yes and Nathan is no puppetmaster because the Hughes parents know how to pick coaches for their daughters. They also know how to manage the coaches because Robin did not reveal her dark side until Sarah had moved on. Until then she was a doting surrogate mother.

soogar

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
Yes and Nathan is no puppetmaster because the Hughes parents know how to pick coaches for their daughters. They also know how to manage the coaches because Robin did not reveal her dark side until Sarah had moved on. Until then she was a doting surrogate mother.

I don't think that it's the coaches who are great but rather that the Hughes raised daughters who respect authority and actually do what their coaches tell them to do and work hard. I also think that the Hughes don't get involved with the coach-student relationship. If Sarah or Emily had trouble with their coaches, I think the Hughes parents would tell those kids to work it out rather than get involved and jump to another coach. Contrast that with Sasha's mother who uproots the whole family just to switch coaches for Sasha and as soon as things get difficult, right away they're moving on to the next coach.

Robin only became eville when Sarah stopped training hard and then quit the sport. I can only imagine what kind of exchanges occurred between those two to cause Sarah to completely cut off contact from her coach. I imagine they were a lot worse than the crap that happened with Sasha. Though I believe that everything went down the way it did with Sasha because Robin was so frustrated that she finally had a talented skater to work with yet that skater didn't want to work hard. I agree with Robin that Sasha just doesn't want to do what she needs to do to win. Sasha would rather skate to rehashed favorites and stay with her signature moves rather than try different things with her skating.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sasha would rather skate to rehashed favorites and stay with her signature moves rather than try different things with her skating.

Well hey, we can say that as fans but would she really be better off? She's still 2nd in the rankings even skating to "rehashed favorites," and could possibly get to first if she would put some feeling into her performance and lay off the little mistakes. Hey, the judges seem to love her...still.